FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2013 11:00 PM  #1

Simple low budget add ons whose done what

I added 07 gt front seats and had them upholstered for 300 not to bad got a Holley 750  bran new for cutting a lawn score. I also when I had my old stock buckets I wanted a more gurthy seat adjust rod then stock so I took a 2 3/4" 5/16"? (What ever size seat uses) bolt with a nut and washer a ajustable rubber freez plug with bolt removed and used the longer bolt and installed into my seat a good add on so their wasn't just a head of a bolt for support. Who else has scores and or who has done simple low budget add ons.

Last edited by True74yamaha (10/22/2013 11:12 PM)

10/23/2013 9:35 AM  #2

Re: Simple low budget add ons whose done what

I thought the 97 Grand Cherokee disc brakes on the rear axle was rather simple, although I would not have had the gumption to tackle that job without a more knowledgable buddy's suggestions.  Maybe that one wasn't all that straight forward now that I think of it.  I had access to a CNC machine and operator to fab a couple spacers.  I guess, had I not had that access, this would not have been as simple.  I take it back!

I have a convertible that regularly bleaches out the carpet in the sunlight.  I find if you get the right kind of spray paint, you can very effectively hide the fade and keep it looking new.

Capturing the coolant overflow was an easy project that keeps things cleaner.  Trimming a plastic shroud helps with cooling.

We used some silicone "cookie mats" as heat shields above the mufflers.  That would puzzle someone looking up at it if ever it was on a rack.

I made a custom shift lever by turning down a stainless rod and heating it up to put bends in it.

Most everything else was bolt on stuff that required little creativity.  Not sure if this was the kind of stuff you thought would be fun to hear about.  I know we have a lot of creative people here... not sure if they will confess their non-conformist transgressions!  :-)

Lance

10/23/2013 10:51 AM  #3

I've done a lot but the following was realitively low budget.

1. the wiring and factory holes are already in place for a interior light in a '66 mustang.

Dome Light

2. a very affordable insulation with a lot of added benefits

Interior Insulation

3. not a car project exactly but i use them all the time and they are super sturdy and make me feel safe when I'm under my car and they provide a lot of space.

Ramps

Wheel Blocks

4. Carb spacer.  I had heat problems.  Spacers are cheap and I think there is a hp advantage maybe.

Spacer

there are probably more that I'm not thinking of.  Enjoy .

10/23/2013 12:20 PM  #4

For 65/66 owners...  Slotting the hole vertically where your clutch pedal stop bolts to the pedal support will let you have an adjustable height clutch pedal.

For 64-1/2 owners...  The slot is already there.

Cost = $0

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/23/2013 12:38 PM  #5

Nice I don't have pics yet I did a third brake light on my 65 cost at junk yard $5 and it's already black but I'm gonna upholster it in some extra black carbon fiber upholstery I have

10/23/2013 1:14 PM  #6

If you are still using a z-bar, heim joint rod ends on the upper and lower clutch rods greatly reduce pedal effort.

10/23/2013 3:01 PM  #7

Michael H. wrote:

If you are still using a z-bar, heim joint rod ends on the upper and lower clutch rods greatly reduce pedal effort.

x-2
6S6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/23/2013 3:16 PM  #8

I think I have already posted on here some of the "stuff" I've done to my 66.
1.I Hid all the wiring under the hood to give it a "cleaner look". The run across the cowl section I pulled inside and ran it across under the dash..on the passenger side I pulled the wires back to the cowl area and along with the run under the dash.....I made an electrical junction box and routed the the whole bundle to the bottom of the battery box on the passenger side. Other side of engine compartment went along the outside of the wheelwell and across the lower radiator support to the bottom of battery box. I mounted all my relays(horn..hi/lo headlights)...coil...Msd box ..and fuse block in the battery box. Fabb'ed a home-made cover to mount over the batty box opening......ta-da! Pretty cheap mod, butt sorta time consuming.(do it with the engine OUT)
2.Made a coil cover out of a Colt-45 beer can once! Cut the bottom of the can out and had the coil wire coming out the top!
3.Used a piece of scrap stainless to make a radio-delete plate. Dash was kinda butchered up from PO installing a different radio. Mounted radio in glove box......installed a push-button start and distributor cut-out switch in the radio delete plate.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/24/2013 6:55 AM  #9

The first time I painted the engine bay I did it with the motor in the car with a rattle can.  Lots and lots of aluminum foil makes for great masking material for wires, hoses, etc.  I used the same technique for covering my exhaust as I coated and sprayed my floorboards.

I used a deep well socket for a spacer on the alternator bolt once.  Worked great.  Someone else mentioned cleaning up wires with plastic tubing, shrink wrap, whatever you like.  That's a nice touch.  Rattle can for interior kick panels in the front/rear turned out ok.  I'm a fan of the rubberized undercoating.  I did the entire underside of the new floor panels over a layer of POR15 and I did the wheel wells and trunk floor too.  The spray cans aren't "cheap" but I like the finished product.

Last edited by JVince (10/24/2013 6:56 AM)

10/24/2013 10:20 AM  #10

I'm tempted to try this mod I found in a google search could be done to 67+ cars easier than 65-66 power windows on the cheep. http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=88204

10/24/2013 12:38 PM  #11

I like that power window setup.  Any reason that wouldn't work with a 69 Mustang?

My cheapest and most effective upgrade would have to be the Brakes.  I did the Granada Brakes which I think with the Spindles and all the parts were $140.00.

I used a 5.0 fox body Brake Booster for the power brakes.  That was $35.00.

Keep posting your links.  This is what the Hobby is all about.

Thanks
Steve69

10/24/2013 1:41 PM  #12

The power windows would work on 67-69 64-66 would be harder due to placement of motor.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.