FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2022 6:48 PM  #26

Re: Any advice on installing a back seat divider on a 66 mustang coupe?

6sally6 wrote:

Yup!!!
We didn't buy/build these thangs because they are  "SAFE"!
6s6

That is THE BOTTOM LINE, Sal. We drive them because we enjoy them, and try to stay away from traffic as much as possible. The powerful engines are the best defense against getting rear-ended.  I especially try to avoid letting one of those Isuzu Ascenders get behind me!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/23/2022 3:14 PM  #27

MS wrote:

Steve69, I stand by my post that states your steel cover will do nothing in the event of a rearender with enough damage to rupture the tank. The scenario I see with your solution is that the primary bending will force the rear bumper forward bending frame crossmember, then pushing the tank forward where the steel plate and its notch around the filler neck tube will immediately shear off the filler tube. The compressive forces on the tank will result in fuel spewing out the severed hose with high pressure filling up the trunk area above your plate with great force. The rest of the collapsing rear end will result in the steel plate bending just like the rest of the back half of the car. Sheet metal screws will be immediately ripped out. Fuel will travel into the cabin unimpeded. Sorry.

Now, if that same plate were 100% welded to the floor atop the frame rails and is not thicker than the sheetmetal already there, so it crumples with the floor, and you have removed the filler neck to be completely under the car’s new trunk floor, not inside. In my opinion, that MIGHT provide a little extra protection, but n reality, not all that much, either. You can mount the tank below the flanges by welding nuts atop the holes in the flange and bolting the tank up from the bottom. I have no suggestion on a filler neck relocation. Some move it to the side, setting themselves up for the above scenario in a side collision.

Ok, all pessimistic bad news from MS. Somebody come up with an argument that disputes this. My opinion is anyone wanting to keep gas from getting n their trunk or cabin should buy a fuel cell. Anything else is a waste of time.

I could of swear back in 2006 you said it was the best upgrade you could do....LOL   

3/23/2022 5:05 PM  #28

Alot has been learned since 2006

3/24/2022 8:22 AM  #29

MS wrote:

Im just kidding you!   I remember I had my car painted in 2005 but not much from 2006...LOL  

3/24/2022 9:09 AM  #30

Steve69 wrote:

MS wrote:

Im just kidding you!   I remember I had my car painted in 2005 but not much from 2006...LOL  

Ok, then…
Alot has been FORGOTTEN since 2006!

3/26/2022 10:48 AM  #31

Here's what I did to my "66" 
Sprayed bed liner
speckle painted blue tones 
then carpet 

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

3/26/2022 10:51 AM  #32

Forgot to load Photos

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

3/26/2022 4:36 PM  #33

My steel divider is fully welded in, I have added frame stiffeners and other things one at a time. I could definitely tell a little less flexing of the uni-body when cornering with the divider. The best addition i did was the Global West frame rail which stopped the dash shake. I think it even helps the cracking or shearing of the b post at the quarter panel as well.

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

3/27/2022 1:47 PM  #34

I saw a post where a guy put a 10' steel beam across the front frame rails, chained down the rear (up on jack stands) and put a 200 lb weight on the end of the beam. He measured how much the unibody twisted, and the rear seat divider gave the best improvement of some 20 percent. SBF connectors did zero for this particular motion, but I think they may have been bolt-ins, and not welded. I'm not saying they don't do anything, but apparently its difficult to quantify. I'm encouraged to hear that it stopped your dash shake. That's real tangible evidence of their worth. Besides, it just looks like Ford should have continued the frame rails all the way from front to back.

Last edited by Mach1Driver (3/27/2022 1:50 PM)

4/02/2022 8:04 AM  #35

You crack me up Man, Matt

4/04/2022 4:06 PM  #36

alfred0809 wrote:

You crack me up Man, Matt

Who cracks you up?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/12/2022 9:58 AM  #37

Alright everyone. I wanted to give an update. I was finally able to get around to this project. Here is the end result. I ended up spraying it with duplicator bed liner paint from the local auto store. I then installed camper foam tape all around it and screwed it in with the self tapping screws it came with. I haven’t had a chance to take it for a spin yet but here’s how it looks.

6/12/2022 10:33 AM  #38

Nice work. Because I like to strip out those self tapping screws, I'd do like Lt Dan said and install rivnuts. I'd also apply some stick on sound deadening like dynamat to it. I'd really do those two things cuz I like to complicate a project.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/12/2022 10:56 AM  #39

Nowz a good time to add sound dampening/insulation to those wheel wells...divider...floor under the seat...etc.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/12/2022 2:37 PM  #40

Yes. Absolutely. Any recommendations on some good material. I heard dyno mat leaves like a tar smell in the car. And the existing wool and rubber  below my carpet ain’t cutting it.

6/12/2022 5:32 PM  #41

I use that peel & stick roof underlayment stuff that Home Dep sells. I'm sure it quietens "some" but also forms a  waterproof/dust proof barrier that I like.
I put double layers over the wheel wells. I covered the 'access holes' in the bottom of the window mechinism. Covered the newly added back seat divider. (the trunk acts as a huge 'bass drum' as far as sound & road noise goes) .
Wayyy cheaper than Dyna Mat but prolly does work as well either.  A trade-off.
Mine will NEVER-EVER be as quiet as a new-er Mustang so I went for a "small improvement" of
sound dampening kinda-thang!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/13/2022 10:12 AM  #42

I used “Noico” Sound Deadening (80mil) from Amazon across the area above the differential, worked quite well. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/13/2022 10:19 AM  #43

6sally6 wrote:

I use that peel & stick roof underlayment stuff that Home Dep sells. I'm sure it quietens "some" but also forms a  waterproof/dust proof barrier that I like.
I put double layers over the wheel wells. I covered the 'access holes' in the bottom of the window mechinism. Covered the newly added back seat divider. (the trunk acts as a huge 'bass drum' as far as sound & road noise goes) .
Wayyy cheaper than Dyna Mat but prolly does work as well either.  A trade-off.
Mine will NEVER-EVER be as quiet as a new-er Mustang so I went for a "small improvement" of
sound dampening kinda-thang!!
6sally6

I used some of that Home Depot stuff under my dash. Seemed great at first, but the adhesive gave way completely after six months. Probably ok under the carpet but don’t expect it to adhere to vertical surfaces.  The day I installed it, I would have sworn it would NEVER come loose, but it sure did.

6/14/2022 1:30 PM  #44

I welded sheet metal and supports into mine, I think that along with sub-frame connectors help to stop the cracking of the quarter panel at the side window post

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.