FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2022 7:13 AM  #1

Water Leak from Clutch Bellhousing 1965

Hello all: 1965 Manual trans, 200 straight six. Have a water leak and looks like it is coming from the clutch bell housing. Even after the car sitting for a few days - still see a slow drop by drop drip from the bell housing. Pulled the starter and the freeze plug behind the starter looks good. Can't see any leak from the head gasket or see any water on the topside of the bell housing. Don't see any water in the engine oil. Feel like I am missing something. Any suggestions on where else to look for the leak would be appreciated. 

Robert

4/17/2022 9:14 AM  #2

Re: Water Leak from Clutch Bellhousing 1965

Welcome to the forum.
There is not much to leak inside the bellhousing. The freeze plug above the starter might be the plug at the end of the camshaft, not a water jacket plug.  The water jacket plug is up high, right below the head gasket.     See the upper one in the picture.  Other than that, the head gasket, which is outside the bellhousing, can be easily inspected from above.  Luckily, your tranny and bellhousing are very easy to remove.

Only remaining thing I could think of would be a cracked block from possibly freeze damage.

Be sure to inspect all external hoses, heater core, perimeter of head gasket, etc.  The fan can blow a water leak along the engine and make it appear to come from somewhere else toward the rear of the engine.

Follow the rule of looking for something really simple first, before you start throwing money at the big stuff.

A good method to track leaks is to use WalMart jock-itch spray.  Go to a car wash and thoroughly clean the engine. Drive it home and let it dry.  Spray a liberal amount of the stuff over all the areas where a leak could be suspected.  Go for a drive. Any water or oil leaking will make a visible track in the powdery spray. Yes, this really does work. Once you are done, go back to the car wash and rinse the engine. It cleans right off.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/17/2022 4:28 PM  #3

Does the six have an inspection plate on the bottom of the bell?!
MAYBE.....it's just condensation collecting in the bell......
Have you cranked it (Crunk it if you're from Alabama) to see if the water gets better........................................... or worse (worser...another Alabammer term!)
I say bring it up to temp and see what happens.
Welcome to the forum BTW!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/17/2022 8:34 PM  #4

Thanks for all the ideas and the welcome to the forum. I have been here before - just re-registered because I couldn't find my prior username and password. To answer your question the housing does have the inspection plate - picture attached - maybe you can see the drop of water hanging on the bottom. CA based so no freeze or humidity issues. Have had the car sitting for a week and still seeing a few drips per minute - so don't think it is the fan blowing water from somewhere else in the engine - but with that frequent number of drops I should be able to visually track it down - and haven't been able to. All the expansion plugs on the block and head look good and can't see anything from the head gasket. Gonna get the car up in the air this week and line some areas with tissue and see what gets damp. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

4/17/2022 8:54 PM  #5

You might try to pressurize the cooling system with a loaner tool from your local parts store. Might make the leak more obvious.

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

4/17/2022 9:27 PM  #6

Spend five bucks for the powder foot spray. It works.

Last edited by Bearing Bob (4/17/2022 9:27 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/18/2022 5:53 AM  #7

That drip looks pretty clear to me, unless your using water with no antifreeze I would think its not coming from the cooling system. Was car out in the rain? maybe front cowl is full of water and is making its way down.

4/18/2022 9:14 AM  #8

I agree with Jim Bowie. No anti-freeze?

You won’t be able to view the main rear freeze plug unless you remove the driveshaft, tranny, bellhousing, clutch and flywheel.  If you are certain of no freeze damage, that is the only thing inside the bell that can possibly leak water.  I would not think it unusual for a 57 year old freeze plug to corrode enough to leak, ESPECIALLY if you are just running water in the block with no coolant.

4/18/2022 9:27 AM  #9

zakdaddy99 wrote:

You might try to pressurize the cooling system with a loaner tool from your local parts store. Might make the leak more obvious.

That should help for sure! 

4/18/2022 2:02 PM  #10

Thanks again for all the tips. I am the running the recommended coolant water mix - think the iphone camera just made the leak  look clear. The car has not been out in the rain in years - so no water dripping from the cowl. Got the car up in the air today and the leak is definitely running down the inside of the bellhousing cover plate.
Final question - I thought the 200 C.I. only had 5 freeze plugs on the block - is there a freeze plug on the rear of the block that is covered by the clutch bellhousing? I don't mind pulling the tranny and clutch and bellhousing if needed.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Roberts65 (4/18/2022 2:03 PM)

4/18/2022 3:37 PM  #11

As it seems the leak occurs without the system being pressurized, using the tool to pressure the cooling system as suggested in a previous post should result in quickly identifying where the leak is located. (or, at least eliminate where it is not)
I’m not sure but is there a freeze plug at the rear of the cylinder head?
If you have a smartphone, consider getting an endoscope attachment.  The head on the one I have is about 3/8’ diameter and this may fit into the opening in the bellhousing allowing you to search the back of the block.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/18/2022 7:42 PM  #12

For what it's worth, here's another pic showing  the rear of the block and associated plugs.

Gives you a better idea of what's behind the flywheel/clutch assembly.

4/18/2022 8:37 PM  #13

Thanks for the picture - helps a lot. 

4/19/2022 9:05 AM  #14

What condition is the engine in? (lotsa miles etc.)
It may be a good reason to pull the engine and go through it/rebuild/refurb/soup-it-up!
Then you can get a perfect view of where its leaking and will be much easier to replace freeze plugs etc. with engine on a stand.
Then......it should be good for another 60+ years!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/19/2022 9:57 AM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

What condition is the engine in? (lotsa miles etc.)
It may be a good reason to pull the engine and go through it/rebuild/refurb/soup-it-up!
Then you can get a perfect view of where its leaking and will be much easier to replace freeze plugs etc. with engine on a stand.
Then......it should be good for another 60+ years!!
6sally6

Sally said soup it up....what he means is put a big cam in it lol.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

6/06/2022 8:56 PM  #16

Hello all: thanks for all the tips. On the 1965 200CI 3-speed manual - finally got behind the bellhousing and had a pool party going on. Replaced the plugs - cleaned it up a bit, put in a new clutch since I had it apart and no water leaks. Pictures attached.
Quick question: Still going to do the 5 plugs on the block - it looks easier if the manifold is pulled - has anyone replaced the block freeze plugs without pulling the manifold?
And if I can tap someones experience - when replacing the Brake Master Cylinder do you try to stay with the re-manufactured cast iron one or just go with any master cylinder that fits. I still have the cast iron one in the car.
Thanks much
Robert whatsapp photo free download

Last edited by Roberts65 (6/06/2022 8:57 PM)

6/06/2022 9:22 PM  #17

What exactly are trying to accomplish with a master cylinder change?
Add redundancy with dual piston tandem style?
The master cylinder must use the same length input shaft and have same size bore.
You can install a 67 drum/drum master cylinder if you have four wheel drums.  You will also have to revise the distribution block to divide the system into separate front/rear distribution. Front port on master cylinder goes to rear brakes.

6/07/2022 10:16 AM  #18

I agree with MS, if you need to repace the master cylinder, install a 'dual' unit. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/11/2022 1:10 PM  #19

You know, Ford uses stop leak as warranty repair on several vehicles. They even list it in some of their owners manuals. 

6/11/2022 6:00 PM  #20

DC wrote:

You know, Ford uses stop leak as warranty repair on several vehicles. They even list it in some of their owners manuals. 

Yeah, but their REAL INTENT is to sell you a new car.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.