FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2013 7:25 PM  #1


Engine stalled when I slammed on the brakes today. any ideas?

I was on the highway, about 60 mph,  behnd a van, when suddenly it hit its brakes,  then I slammed on my brakes, rear brakes locked up, then i noticed I had no power brakes and wasn't stopping fast enough to avoid the van in front of me, i then realized the engine had stalled while I'm approaching the back of the van, i went to turn the key to start the engine, but it wouldn't turn, then threw the trans from drive into neutral, was now able to turn key and start the engine, and then had power brakes again to just be able to stop in time before hitting the van in front of me.

so, what happened?  slosh module turn off fuel to injectors?  The cars brakes aren't exactly that great when engine is running, but they really stink without the power booster.  


GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..
 

10/25/2013 8:22 PM  #2


Re: Engine stalled when I slammed on the brakes today. any ideas?

As to why it died on such a hard braking event, not really.  Vacuum surge?? Trans lock up not releasing properly???   

As to why it wouldnt restart........obviously the neutral saftey switch.  Its not going to crank the starter unless its in park or neutral.

Most likely absolutely nothing to worry about...unless it repeats this and starts cutting out at the worst possible times.  


If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.
 

10/26/2013 5:59 AM  #3


Re: Engine stalled when I slammed on the brakes today. any ideas?

MarkinSC wrote:

i then realized the engine had stalled while I'm approaching the back of the van, i went to turn the key to start the engine, but it wouldn't turn, then threw the trans from drive into neutral, was now able to turn key and start the engine, and then had power brakes again to just be able to stop in time  

 
I don't know what caused the car to stall but that was some pretty good reaction time.


If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.
 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.