FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2013 7:28 PM  #1


Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

I have an mid 70s OEM Ford flex fan that needs to be cleaned up and repainted.  I am worried that any paint I use will not be able to flex with the blades and will come off.  Any suggestions??


If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com
 

10/17/2013 7:39 PM  #2


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

there are flex additives that is added to standard auto paint for parts that flex like bumpers etc.  I can't see why you couldn't use it on the flex fan blades.


GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..
 

10/17/2013 9:16 PM  #3


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??


Daze, this one on my 66 came out of a 74 Maverick 302.  It was solid flat black from the factory.  I used paint stripper on it and then repainted the steel part, leaving the stainless blades unpainted.  If I was going to paint it flat black, I would use Rustoleum as it seems to stay softer longer than other rattle can paints, and that would allow it to flex and still retain the paint.  I think that no matter what paint you decide to use, the key is to spray it on as thin as possible.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

10/17/2013 9:36 PM  #4


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

How about Plasti-Dip? Comes in a bunch of colors.....like flat Black.
6s6


Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8
 

10/17/2013 9:58 PM  #5


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

if my blades are stainless than I am good to go.  I will strip the whole thing and then not paint the fins.  I will check the fins tomorrow to confirm they are stainless.


If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com
     •Thread Starter
 

10/18/2013 6:49 AM  #6


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

Here is a thought!  those blades flatten out as they spin faster but do they actually change as far as size or shape??  Hard to express what I'm asking.  example, a plastic bumper, if a shopping cart hits the bumper and the plastic absorbs the impact the plastic bends in then pops back to it original shape thus it is changing shape.  these blades are curved and just flatten out. if something hit the fan like a rock it would actualy change shape thus causing the paint to chip.  If you take a peice of metal say a piece of a fender from a car and bow it the same amount that these fan blades flex the paint will flex with the metal to a point!!  
I'm just thinking out loud but makes sense in my pea brain!  could be my lack of sleep!


MSBB Host 2014 & 2022
 

10/18/2013 10:59 AM  #7


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

Daze wrote:

if my blades are stainless than I am good to go.  I will strip the whole thing and then not paint the fins.  I will check the fins tomorrow to confirm they are stainless.

 I used aircraft stripper and some Scotchbrite pads to strip them.  It was pretty hard to get that original paint off!  But the end result is great.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

10/18/2013 11:05 AM  #8


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

my bladeds are indeed stainless so this project just got a whole lot easier.  no flex paint required

Terry the problem is the blades are constantly moving as RPM changes.  If you took a piece of sheet metal and painted it with normal rattle can and then after it dried started bending it back and forth (just flexing the metal not enough to actually bend it) the paint is going to hold up for a wile but after a bit of flexing it will crack and flake off.  every time RPMs change the blades are going to move so I would venture a guess that in 20 minutes of driving that fin is going to flex at least 1000 times.


If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com
     •Thread Starter
 

10/18/2013 12:20 PM  #9


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

Sem paint sem offers a lot of flexible paint with multipul colors available. Tcpglobal has a bunch of colors available. Plasti dip would be ok as stays flexable just do a few coats homedepot has some of the lowest prices on it and sales it it black gray red and some stores blue. They sell even more colors online and if another place has a lower price they meet and beat by 10%

 

10/19/2013 5:24 AM  #10


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

The inner part/center and small rib of each blade is rigid steel, that the the flexible stainless spring steel fan blades are riveted to. So, this rigid center part/fan frame can be painted any color that you like, and doesn't need to be a special painted. Any engine enamel should work fine, as long as you prep it well. Those things get grimy from millions of cubic feet of air passing over them with dirt and junk suspended in the air.

 

10/19/2013 10:20 AM  #11


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

If you have a dusty, grimy fan, we can tell that you are actually getting some driving time in the car.  Like a trophy...


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

10/20/2013 6:22 AM  #12


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

Ha...you got me Steve. Well, when I used to drive my car and when I had other vehicles that had this kind of fan, road grime would indeed build up on both sides of fan center section. Be it from blowby on my or other cars, road oil, dirt from California smog,etc. I also lived on a gravel/dirt road when I lived above Sacramento. Thank God for k&n filters and Morison prefilters. So, when I came time to paint fan, I would clean it with simple green or purple power, etc., wire wheel or bead blast it, and hit it with some good engine enamel.  Ps. , did my wife tip you off to me dusting off air cleaner lid and spake fan with air compressor blower nozzle?

 

10/20/2013 2:51 PM  #13


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

Daze wrote:

my bladeds are indeed stainless so this project just got a whole lot easier.  no flex paint required

Terry the problem is the blades are constantly moving as RPM changes.  If you took a piece of sheet metal and painted it with normal rattle can and then after it dried started bending it back and forth (just flexing the metal not enough to actually bend it) the paint is going to hold up for a wile but after a bit of flexing it will crack and flake off.  every time RPMs change the blades are going to move so I would venture a guess that in 20 minutes of driving that fin is going to flex at least 1000 times.

 

Daze:

I have a little different experience.  I have a '70 flex fan that I painted with a semi-gloss black from a rattle can of some sort.  The fan was installed in 1989 when I did the 351w.  Since then the paint has held up quite well since in those days the car was doing about 20k miles per year.  It is chipped some on the leading edges, but most of the chipping looks like normal wear and tear of being driven.  There is no evidence of the sort of chippping that comes from blade flex.  However, if the blade is stainless, make it clean but don't paint it.  Then there will never be any unsightly chipping to deal with.



 

Last edited by lowercasesteve (10/20/2013 2:53 PM)


Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P
 

10/26/2013 12:54 PM  #14


Re: Flexible paint??? Any one ever paint a flex fan and if so with what??

stripping off the OEM paint and then just painting the rigid parts worked really well


If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com
     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.