FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2022 6:24 PM  #1

Aldan Coilovers

'67 Coupe. Ok, now that I have the electrical issues sorted out and my lights are working I have been looking at suspension upgrades. I found a kit by Aldan for front coilovers and rear shocks for about $1500. I'm not familiar with the company. Anybody have any experience with them? Does this sound like a fair price? I appreciate any input.  

4/26/2022 4:36 AM  #2

Re: Aldan Coilovers

They seem to have good reviews, but why do you want coil overs?

4/26/2022 5:13 AM  #3

I have no experience with their products.

I can say I have been more than satisfied with Vi-King coil-overs (350#) on my 65 coupe.
I purchased the poly bushing version offered through CPP in California.
The bearing version is available directly from Viking and other vendors if desired.

4/26/2022 9:15 AM  #4

For TKOPerformance - Thank you for the logical question. It got me thinking. To begin, it has been far too long since I changed the shocks and the ride is getting mushy. Also, the shocks that I bought at the time may not have been the highest quality. My initial thought was that since coilovers are more costly they would provide a better ride - which may not be the case. My current thought (it changes on a daily basis) is that, for the front, a good quality adjustable shock would be the best option as the ride height is good. The rear is another issue. I would really like to be able to play with the ride height so coilovers would give me that. Additionally, although almost imperceptible, one side of the rear sits just a bit lower than the other. It is noticeable to me (though not so much to others) so I would like to do something about that. 
Once again, thank you for getting me to put some thought into this before acting.   

4/26/2022 10:33 AM  #5

I have Aldan coilovers the R&C MII conversion on my 65 Mustang.  I messed one up and returned both to Aldan for refurbishing.  They were 9 years-old at the time and was covered under warrenty, only had to pay for shipping to and from Aldan. 
I am pleased with these coilovers. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/26/2022 3:40 PM  #6

riwall wrote:

For TKOPerformance - Thank you for the logical question. It got me thinking. To begin, it has been far too long since I changed the shocks and the ride is getting mushy. Also, the shocks that I bought at the time may not have been the highest quality. My initial thought was that since coilovers are more costly they would provide a better ride - which may not be the case. My current thought (it changes on a daily basis) is that, for the front, a good quality adjustable shock would be the best option as the ride height is good. The rear is another issue. I would really like to be able to play with the ride height so coilovers would give me that. Additionally, although almost imperceptible, one side of the rear sits just a bit lower than the other. It is noticeable to me (though not so much to others) so I would like to do something about that. 
Once again, thank you for getting me to put some thought into this before acting.   

In terms of ride quality there's nothing coil overs are going to give you that god shocks and matched springs aren't.  The only real benefit of coil overs is what you noted for the rear: adjustable ride height.  The issue on the rear is that you are going to have to do a lot more than just bolt some coil overs to it.  The leaf springs don't just provide cushion they also located the axle housing.  Trying to use coil overs with the leafs in place will be like trying to use those old helper shocks; you'll tear the mounting point in the car's floor.  Is not strong enough to support the vehicle's weight.  So basically to get adjustable ride height with coil covers safely you're going to have to go to some type of link suspension with some type of mounting system for the coil overs (usually a cradle that bolts in where the leaf springs used to mount).  Just some things to think about. 

4/26/2022 4:49 PM  #7

Thanks again for the great info. I don't think I'm prepared to do the extra things I would need for the rear coilovers so it is on to Plan B - get a set of quality shocks. I'm sure I'll be fine with that. 

4/26/2022 5:36 PM  #8

You'll be saving weight with four wheel coil overs.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/26/2022 7:24 PM  #9

I looked at options from QA1, Aldan, Vi-King, and some true no-name stuff.

I looked at various places known for performance or racing, such as Summit, JEG’s, Maximum Motorsport, Anderson Motorsport, Late Model Restoration, American Muscle.

It gave me an idea what might be quality and crapola even at these known places too.

The reason I chose my front coil overs was to have the adjustable ride height after suspension modifications and I did not want a harsh ride by cutting springs.

I still have leaf springs and shocks in the rear.

When I was looking at this option a few years ago,
I would have had about similar cost for roller perches and shocks…and I still wouldn’t be able to adjust ride height without additional cost or ride harshness from cutting springs.

12/21/2022 6:02 AM  #10

NPD has coil overs by several vendors.

QA1, Aldan American, Control Freak Suspension

NPD’s search engine isn’t the easiest to find stuff…sorry Rick.
This is the link I stumbled across last night by accident, thought I would share.

https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=Suspension&top_parent=200001&year=1965

12/21/2022 9:01 AM  #11

I would suggest looking at Street or Track as well.  The company, owner and products all have excellent reputations and are well-known on VMF.  https://streetortrack.com/

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.