FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2022 11:44 AM  #1

Head Light Up Grade Best Way To Go ?

I had my 67 coupe out at night (which I rarely do) , the head lights are really bad. Two years ago when I swapped
out the 289 for a 351w, I put in new halogen sealed beams and a higher output alternator ( I thought this would make a difference ,but not so much). I'm thinking about  head light relays and or led headlights. Would the relays make
much of a difference with halogen bulbs, or should I get led head lights, or should I get the relays and led head
lights? I just want to do this one time, what's the best way to go?
AS ALWAY'S THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!  mustang stu 

4/27/2022 1:01 PM  #2

Re: Head Light Up Grade Best Way To Go ?

Hi,

I've never seen SEALED BEAM headlights lightning up anything but themself!  Al cars i own or have owned get the headlight assembly with a H4 bulb and relay upgrade because i drive them day and night!
Over here you can't pass the inspection if you have sealed beam headlights.

Mustsed

4/27/2022 1:18 PM  #3

Whatever lights you use, if you use the original old wiring, you will not be getting the full 12 vdc to the lights. I installed the relays and wired the lights so that turning on the light switch closes the relay and supplies direct full battery voltage to the lights. I have two relays, one for low beam and one for high beam. It works for me. I don't know anything about how the LED lights might work with the original wiring.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/27/2022 3:15 PM  #4

Ron68 wrote:

Whatever lights you use, if you use the original old wiring, you will not be getting the full 12 vdc to the lights. I installed the relays and wired the lights so that turning on the light switch closes the relay and supplies direct full battery voltage to the lights. I have two relays, one for low beam and one for high beam. It works for me. I don't know anything about how the LED lights might work with the original wiring.

Yep. I did this also and it made a world of difference.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/27/2022 3:53 PM  #5

Headlight relays worked for me.

But, technology and LED’s have come into existence since I did the relays 20 years ago.  Maybe there is a better way now.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/27/2022 6:08 PM  #6

Mustsed is right. In Europe sealed beams are not allowed, and here in the good old USA non-sealed beams are not allowed.  I do not remember why the difference.  It may have something to do with safety.

And non-sealed beams are brighter.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/27/2022 6:18 PM  #7

Christmas this year we got his and hers Hella H4 headlights.
Both are ECE lenses that focus the light on the road and not onto the side and in the darn trees (DOT).
79 F150 (single rectangle) and 65 Mustang.

Don shared his Hella H4 housing information back in 2019.
I’ve had Hella driving/fog lights in the past with great results.
The lenses are glass and more flat compared to the Sylvania Performance halogen bulbs.

Snow was on the ground at the time…still hanging around too.
Only pictures I have to show difference is the truck.
Both had sealed Halogens with DOT lenses.
Both now have the Hella H4 ECE headlights.
Neither have headlight relays at this time.

Picture shows one for one replacement and no changes in alignment…it was cold and things like that tend to break…at least for me.
I did take the truck for a quick drive down our 1/4 mile driveway and the difference was very noticeable.

Hope this helps.

upload image

4/28/2022 4:51 AM  #8

There is no point going to better bulbs if you don't install relays.  What will happen is that you will overload the headlight switch and trip its internal circuit breaker.  When that happens the lights will go off.  You'll be tempted to think its the switch; its not.

I installed relays and Sylvania Silver Star halogen bulbs 6-7 years ago now and they are brighter than the lights on my '06 F250.

Personally I love LED technology, but I think they look out of place on a classic. 

4/28/2022 5:55 AM  #9

4/28/2022 6:54 AM  #10

I really haven't followed the market for 7" headlights, since my 69 uses 5-3/4". Holley has just come out with SAE and DOT approved versions for the 5-3/4" and they are EXPENSIVE. They have the classic look. Most of the aftermarket LEDs shine up and too the side too much, endangering other drivers, and you- if it rains or in fog.
There are inexpensive DOT approved halogens (like Sylvania) that work much better than the OE lights, but you need relays and large gauge wire to really make them shine the brightest. After all, the light switch and related wiring and connectors are 50+ years old, and all the stuff under the hood has taken a beating from hot and cold temperatures and the elements.
The 5-3/4 size has been a problem until to now, because it was only used on the 69s, but all the other years use 7". The lower usage meant that it didn't pay to invest in the regulatory approvals for the 5-3/4. The advantage of LEDs is that unless your harness is really decrepit you won't need relays because they use much less amperage, and give more light. Personally I wouldn't use a light that wasn't DOT approved.

Last edited by Mach1Driver (4/28/2022 6:59 AM)

4/28/2022 9:48 AM  #11

Mach1….if you look at the pictures closer, Hella does make a 4 headlamp system too.

I ordered ours from Summit Racing.

4/28/2022 9:54 AM  #12

Mach1….if you look at the pictures closer, Hella does make a 4 headlamp system too.  part numbers are listed.  One of my reasons for taking the pictures was to have that information to share…hard to find sometimes on internet.

TKO…Hella H4 in kit are 60/55watts. Same as my Sylvania halogens. Light is in better pattern.
I also have a 3G 130 amp alternator and 8gauge wire feeding my fuse boxes..original was 10 gauge wire.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/28/2022 9:56 AM)

4/28/2022 11:14 AM  #13

I picked up these 7" lights from a vendor at one of the first  MCA show I attended years ago. They are of unknown make and i use Sylvania H4 Ultra bulbs. They show more road at night than my 2019 DD.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/28/2022 2:17 PM  #14

Bearing Bob wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Totally agree, relays are the way to go.  Especially if your headlight switch is original.  Without relays, the full current for the headlights go through the switch, after 50-60 years the contacts in the switch have likely degraded and full voltage is not getting to the headlights.  Higher current draw headlights only make the matter worse.
I installed two relays, one for high beams, one for low beams.  I installed a new 15-amp circuit breaker from the battery to power the headlights.  The headlight switch now controls the relays and draw significantly less current through the switch.
I also installed a relay for the horns for the same reason.  Horns sound much better now.
Send me a PM if you want a sketch and a further description of my installation.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/28/2022 5:32 PM  #15

BobE wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Totally agree, relays are the way to go.  Especially if your headlight switch is original.  Without relays, the full current for the headlights go through the switch, after 50-60 years the contacts in the switch have likely degraded and full voltage is not getting to the headlights.  Higher current draw headlights only make the matter worse.
I installed two relays, one for high beams, one for low beams.  I installed a new 15-amp circuit breaker from the battery to power the headlights.  The headlight switch now controls the relays and draw significantly less current through the switch.
I also installed a relay for the horns for the same reason.  Horns sound much better now.
Send me a PM if you want a sketch and a further description of my installation.

Me too!
Relays are  definately 6Sally6 approved.......
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/28/2022 6:29 PM  #16

Nos681 wrote:

Mach1….if you look at the pictures closer, Hella does make a 4 headlamp system too.

I'm not Mach 1, but I think he said he wouldn't use a non DOT approved headlight, which Holley makes but are hella (pun intended) expensive. And I believe Mach1 Driver is an electrical engineer, which is nice.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/28/2022 6:54 PM  #17

My guess that there are a helluva lot of cars and trucks on the road with non DOT approved head lights,  mine included.
Seems the fuzz around here could care less!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/28/2022 7:55 PM  #18

I would try the relays as a lot have stated before spending the money on LED's. You already upgraded the lights once. If the relays aren't good enough then maybe try LED's. 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/29/2022 1:03 AM  #19

I recently went through the same thing...
I love the look of the old sealed beam headlights, but they are dreadful with lighting up the road.
I went with what I think are Sylvania halogen. I have relays and they work well, but they just don't look like the old rounded sealed beam units.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/29/2022 4:29 AM  #20

Years ago, information was shared with me by one of my Navy buddies who rode motorcycles and knew a lot of stuff that I wasn’t aware of.

Here’s some information about helmet ratings by DOT and SNELL and ECE.
I also understand that a company can pay a fee to have equipment rated as DOT without independent testing…just the facts ma’am.

https://bestmotorcyclehelmets.net/motorcycle-helmet-safety-ratings/

I value safety and perform my own risk management.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/29/2022 4:33 AM)

4/29/2022 11:13 AM  #21

O.K., does anyone have a recommendation for the fog lights?  My bulbs are rated at like 40 watts and practically useless.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

4/29/2022 11:44 AM  #22

I went with Dapper lighting.  They were expensive. They have the amber cut back also for the signal.

There LED so I could use the original harness. 

4/29/2022 11:46 AM  #23

4/29/2022 2:13 PM  #24

Steve69 wrote:

I'm curious if that is the stock hood scoop, just without the grill. It looks so much bigger than mine. Maybe I have hood scoop envy

5/02/2022 2:03 PM  #25

Mach1Driver wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

I'm curious if that is the stock hood scoop, just without the grill. It looks so much bigger than mine. Maybe I have hood scoop envy

Its a boss 429 hoodscoop that I bought from Mustangs unlimited about 15 years ago. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.