FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2022 2:14 PM  #1

Fog Lights

My fog lights look attractive; but, functionally they suck.  Any suggestions on where to buy bright fog lights?

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/02/2022 7:28 PM  #2

Re: Fog Lights

Not much out there in 4” bulbs that fit the o/e housings except high buck LED units. Me, I don’t like multi facet LED bulbs.
You could go with the rectangle Shelby type fogs but I have no info on their performance.
NPD has a tri bar bulb that looks good but again unknown performance, I guess you could call them and ask.
Good luck.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/02/2022 9:07 PM  #3

They are FOG lights, not driving lights. Do yours have relays on them like the headlights do?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/02/2022 10:26 PM  #4

With a little effort, you can make PAR30/36 sealed bulb fit into the fog housing. These are sold in any watt range from 100 - 300 watts and also have 12v ones. Look into a pool market or stage lightning because that's where thay are used mostly. They come in spot/wide and ultra wide beams.

Put a pair into another brand car which had to pass a forrest every night and they were more then bright. DON'T touch them, very hot they are! Don't remember exactly what i did to put them in but it was an easy job for sure.

Mustsed

5/03/2022 7:18 AM  #5

No relays on Fog Lights

5/03/2022 8:27 AM  #6

Mustsed wrote:

With a little effort, you can make PAR30/36 sealed bulb fit into the fog housing. These are sold in any watt range from 100 - 300 watts and also have 12v ones. Look into a pool market or stage lightning because that's where thay are used mostly. They come in spot/wide and ultra wide beams.

Put a pair into another brand car which had to pass a forrest every night and they were more then bright. DON'T touch them, very hot they are! Don't remember exactly what i did to put them in but it was an easy job for sure.

Mustsed

Just a word of caution, if you use bulbs that are 100 watts each, you'll being drawing like 15 amps for two lamps, at 300 watts it would be about 45 amps.  Any wiring, relays, switches, connectors, etc. will need to be able to support that power. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/03/2022 8:32 AM  #7

I think Mr Tim installed aircraft bulbs in his 66, which is now owned by Josh-kebob.
I remember they were super bright.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/03/2022 8:35 AM  #8

My headlights are super bright after installing relays.  I think the fog lights were for decoration only.  They are whimpy.

5/03/2022 10:01 AM  #9

almcgee wrote:

My headlights are super bright after installing relays.  I think the fog lights were for decoration only.  They are whimpy.

Does it get that foggy in Texas or.........
you just want to improve the lighting.....just-in-case it ever gets foggy?!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/03/2022 10:09 AM  #10

6Sally6,

It rarely gets foggy in Texas;but, some of the bash trips require night driving to the restaurant, and since I am unfamiliar with the streets I like the advantage of lots of light.

5/03/2022 5:47 PM  #11

almcgee wrote:

6Sally6,

It rarely gets foggy in Texas;but, some of the bash trips require night driving to the restaurant, and since I am unfamiliar with the streets I like the advantage of lots of light.

I'm about ready for another ride in that Mustang anyhow.....
I'll be glad to help you find us a good place to eat!!!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/03/2022 8:05 PM  #12

I wish I just had some in my grille.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/05/2022 5:05 PM  #13

6Sally6,  I'll give you a ride for sure.  the new motor likes to run.  It is exhilarating when you punch it. Makes the trac-lock worthwhile.

Last edited by almcgee (5/05/2022 5:06 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.