FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2013 5:16 PM  #1

Did some more work towards the TKO600 install today

I removed the transmission crossmember/flor support.  This is not a pretty job, drilling out some big spot welds and using the air chisel to finish it off.  At least it is out, along with a 4" section of the frame rail on both sides!  Those will be replaced with new rails also.

The thought if installing an entire new floor in the car has crossed my mind.  I have to replace the passenger rear section any way because the PO did some funky stuff under there.

That's all for today.  Still in destruction mode...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/14/2013 5:39 PM  #2

Re: Did some more work towards the TKO600 install today

Could we get some pictures...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

4/14/2013 6:54 PM  #3

I second the pics.   Sounds like your on your way.

Steve69

4/14/2013 7:01 PM  #4

There is alot of carnage.  Pics might not be very pretty...  I am seiously considering going the full floor route so everything under there is like new.

I burned up two of those Harbour Freight spot weld drills on the first spot weld.  What a waste of money.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/14/2013 7:38 PM  #5

MustangSteve wrote:

There is alot of carnage.  Pics might not be very pretty...  I am seiously considering going the full floor route so everything under there is like new.

I burned up two of those Harbour Freight spot weld drills on the first spot weld.  What a waste of money.

I have better luck with the Eastwood ones that have a mandrel and two sided cutters. But the trick is the right feed and speed! They seem to like a medium speed with just the right feed pressure. I find that you can feel the cutting action be smooth with the right combination. If there is any roughness to the feel, the cutter is toast in a hurry.

4/15/2013 12:16 PM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

That's strange.  I was unable to use up the first one, of the five I bought, taking out the 127 or so welds that held in the cowl.  Must be like everything else that comes out of china...some days they make good, some days  they make crap.  Or maybe that should be applied to the steel in old Mustangs.

The ones I have are like a little 3/8" hole saw.

Want one of my left over ones, MS? 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/15/2013 3:33 PM  #7

Steve,
I went with a new full length pan from dynacorn. The new pan is a little thicker the specs of the original. For the most part, it fit well, but there is some work involved. Also, with the two pans side by side, you may find a few differences. Mine for example has a dip at the tunnel for the signal on the back up lights that I had to add.  Still, glad I did it as I started finding more issues with the old pan once I starting moving it like rust!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.