FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2022 8:58 AM  #1

Springs that help push the clutch Pedal

Hi
I have rather heavy twin Mcleold RST clutch, The pedal is a Malwood all in one unit. Master cylinder/pedal and the reservoir is outside in the engine compartment. Is is possible to attach a spring behind the pedal so it could be easier to press down the clutch ? I mean as an example if it takes 30 kg to push the clutch and spring is rated for 15 kg, Shouldnt I gain 15kg of pressure ?

5/06/2022 9:08 AM  #2

Re: Springs that help push the clutch Pedal

I have never seen one on a Mustang, but have worked on several cars that had them. Design is critical though and they use an over center style linkage so that the spring is not pulling on the pedal when the pedal is all the way up!

5/06/2022 9:39 AM  #3

DC wrote:

I have never seen one on a Mustang, but have worked on several cars that had them. Design is critical though and they use an over center style linkage so that the spring is not pulling on the pedal when the pedal is all the way up!

Interesting, Maybe fitting a remote brakebooster is better ?

5/06/2022 10:24 AM  #4

Wouldn't that be ' the-same-as' riding the clutch?! (bad habit of resting your left foot on the clutch pedal)
What about modifying the clutch pedal so less effort is required to depress the pedal? (that's all I got!)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/06/2022 10:52 AM  #5

Mustangs with manual transmissions left the factory with assist springs on the clutch pedal but they were engineered into the system and not added on as an afterthought.

5/06/2022 11:43 AM  #6

A spring has different tension during range of motion which might be complex to calculate or apply! The idea of changing the pedal ratio sounds better IMHO.

BTW Texas is right with the helper spring that acts as a return and helper spring. Stiffen that one might show some benefit to your problem too.

Mustsed

Last edited by Mustsed (5/06/2022 11:48 AM)

5/06/2022 12:39 PM  #7

Changing the ratio is not possible as everything is in one unit, what about extending the pedal with 1 inch there will be a longer travel but will I gain any strength ?

5/06/2022 9:53 PM  #8

Consider a smaller diameter piston master cylinder. That will lower the pedal effort.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/06/2022 11:41 PM  #9

MS wrote:

Consider a smaller diameter piston master cylinder. That will lower the pedal effort.

I dont know if a another brand will fit into the malwood kit, and lowering the size will affect the stroke length on hydraulic throw out bearing. 

5/07/2022 5:31 AM  #10

Mach173 wrote:

MS wrote:

I dont know if a another brand will fit into the malwood kit, and lowering the size will affect the stroke length on hydraulic throw out bearing. 

Not necessarily.  If you changed the pedal ratio and used a smaller bore master with a longer stroke you could move the same fluid volume as the larger bore master in the existing setup.  Its becoming a complicated engineering problem though.  What's got me is where a hydraulic clutch is too heavy.  Everything I've got a hydraulic clutch in (WRX, FJ, and IROC) requires very little effort regardless the clutch I have in the vehicle.  The whole point of hydraulics is they are supposed to be smooth and require minimal effort.  Now, all of those vehicles use a conventional master/slave system.  I've never been a fan of hydraulic throwout bearings.  They are typically used to solve some kind of space or other issue, but there's typically no adjustment.  My cousin and I used one years back when we converted his Wrangler to a SBC and kept the original Peugot 5 speed.  It took us far longer than it should have to get it to where it was acceptable (tough to bleed, etc.). 

5/07/2022 11:42 AM  #11

Mach173 - I agree w/TKO, pedal pressure shouldn't be an issue.  I’m not familiar with the Malwood setup, but I suggest contacting them to discuss the issue. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/07/2022 3:55 PM  #12

MS wrote:

I agree with MS you should be able to modify the hydraulics for an improved pedal.  You will however need to do the math as it is not as simple as just getting a smaller bore master.  If the master cylinder has a smaller bore it will need a longer stroke to have adequate fluid volume to achieve the same actuation at the bellhousing.  Also are you using an external slave cylinder or a hydraulic throwout bearing?  Another issue could be pedal ratio which can have a TON to do with this.  Does the pedal bottom out way before the clutch pedal hits the floor or can you go though most of the pedal stroke.  A properly designed system will maximize pedal stroke to minimize pedal effort, but a lot of designs I have seen don't take this into account and the pedal is a short stroke.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

5/07/2022 7:43 PM  #13

Mach173 wrote:

Changing the ratio is not possible as everything is in one unit, what about extending the pedal with 1 inch there will be a longer travel but will I gain any strength ?

I was talking about moving the pivot point on the clutch pedal thus.......changing the ratio.
(same results as extending the pedal....my idea was just drill a different hole on the clutch pedal arm)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/08/2022 9:55 AM  #14

TKOPerformance wrote:

Mach173 wrote:

MS wrote:

Not necessarily.  If you changed the pedal ratio and used a smaller bore master with a longer stroke you could move the same fluid volume as the larger bore master in the existing setup.  Its becoming a complicated engineering problem though.  What's got me is where a hydraulic clutch is too heavy.  Everything I've got a hydraulic clutch in (WRX, FJ, and IROC) requires very little effort regardless the clutch I have in the vehicle.  The whole point of hydraulics is they are supposed to be smooth and require minimal effort.  Now, all of those vehicles use a conventional master/slave system.  I've never been a fan of hydraulic throwout bearings.  They are typically used to solve some kind of space or other issue, but there's typically no adjustment.  My cousin and I used one years back when we converted his Wrangler to a SBC and kept the original Peugot 5 speed.  It took us far longer than it should have to get it to where it was acceptable (tough to bleed, etc.). 

TKO, a lesser pedal ratio combined with a smaller piston would put his leg effort right back in the same level!
Sometimes a little extra stroke might be advisable to difficult leg effort.

5/08/2022 10:03 AM  #15

Mach173 wrote:

If you lengthen the pedal you are lengthening the lever so yes it will help but just like the spring idea it’s not really a good fix. The biggest issue is the hydraulic throw out bearing. Can you provide more info on your hydraulic clutch setup? Pix of the system, bore and stroke info and anything else you have. I have designed a bunch of different hydraulic clutch kits and am quite familiar with the calculations needed to “engineer” one. I would be happy to help you figure out what you need to improve your setup. I’m not trying to sell you one of my kits or anything for that mater but rather help you re-engineer what you already have.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

5/08/2022 11:42 AM  #16

Hi
I got in touch with Malwood. They are recommending Our 5/8” x 1-3/8 “ Master cylinder should solve the issue.. I have RAM throw out bearing,   https://ramclutches.com/product/78132/

Last edited by Mach173 (5/08/2022 11:48 AM)

5/08/2022 12:16 PM  #17

Daze’s offer is what this forum is all about!  There is nothing better than having help from someone with direct experience.

If you want a specific leg effort value, you can use the info about the existing parts you have to design it to be exactly what you want it to be.

5/09/2022 4:55 AM  #18

MS wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Mach173 wrote:

TKO, a lesser pedal ratio combined with a smaller piston would put his leg effort right back in the same level!
Sometimes a little extra stroke might be advisable to difficult leg effort.

Possibly, but I didn't say lessen the pedal ratio; I said change it.  I'm thinking there's a sweet spot that can be calculated where the bore size, stroke length, and pedal ratio converge to achieve his desired result.  Sounds like Daze could probably figure out where that point is using math.  The rest of us are pretty much just offering broad stroke suggestions at this point. 

5/09/2022 12:25 PM  #19

Mach173 wrote:

Hi
I got in touch with Malwood. They are recommending Our 5/8” x 1-3/8 “ Master cylinder should solve the issue.. I have RAM throw out bearing,   https://ramclutches.com/product/78132/

Mach173 – the volume of the 5/8” x 1-3/8” master cylinder is 0.425 cu in.  Suggest that you verify with RAM that the throw out bearing will match up with this master cylinder. 
Something else to check, verify that you existing master cylinder stroke length off the pedal is enough for the 1-3/8” stroke.  It should be, my 65’s stroke length off the pedal is about 1-3/4”.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/09/2022 11:25 PM  #20

5/8” x 1-3/8”  IS what RAM recommends on the other hand Malwood claims that  We don't think there should be an issue with using our 3/4" master with the set up you have now. You have chosen a heavy duty clutch but even with that, It should be a good fit and work well with the pedal feel being good. Il be back with some progress news I hope soon.

Last edited by Mach173 (5/09/2022 11:25 PM)

5/09/2022 11:51 PM  #21

Just to clarify how the malwood setup looks like :-)

Last edited by Mach173 (5/09/2022 11:52 PM)

5/10/2022 10:30 PM  #22

A friend who has s similar setup in his Firebird68 tried the clutch last night. It was exactly the sane feeling as is clutch. I am letting this be for now. Thanks for input.

5/11/2022 8:06 AM  #23

Mach173 wrote:

A friend who has s similar setup in his Firebird68 tried the clutch last night. It was exactly the sane feeling as is clutch. I am letting this be for now. Thanks for input.

I think you would be a lot happier with the system if you ditched the hydraulic throw out bearing and went with a slave cylinder.

5/11/2022 8:18 AM  #24

Daze wrote:

Mach173 wrote:

I think you would be a lot happier with the system if you ditched the hydraulic throw out bearing and went with a slave cylinder.

Maybe true, but I have invested quite an amount of money in this solution. Il keep it for now :-)

5/11/2022 12:03 PM  #25

Mach173 wrote:

Daze wrote:

Mach173 wrote:

Maybe true, but I have invested quite an amount of money in this solution. Il keep it for now :-)

I totaly get that.  If you change your mind I am hppy to help you figure out what you need and i'm betting you could make the swap for not much money.  You could retain your pedal assembly and all you would need would be a slave cylinder, a clutch fork, a throw out bearing, and then to make a bracket.  I bet you could do it all for less than $100.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.