FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2022 10:29 AM  #26

Re: What was life BEFORE The Mustang??!!!

MS wrote:

Begs the question:

Who has automatic? Who has manual? In their classic car.

Automatic - 4R70W - because my mom said I would grow up to be shiftless......

I learned to drive a manual on a 1959 Hillman Minx - three on the tree.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/14/2022 10:38 AM  #27

I had a 59 Hillman!!!  Never did ever see it run. Paid $10 for the car. After draining the water from the crankcase, I sold it for $20.  My first flip. In high school.
Wish I could make that kind of % profit now!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/15/2022 11:46 AM  #28

TKOPerformance wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

How old are you TKO if you dont mind me asking?

44 until December. 

A mear young'un! 
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/15/2022 4:34 PM  #29

If its not the age it must be the mileage...

5/15/2022 5:04 PM  #30

My first car was a 62 Humber 80, NZ only version of the Minx.
4 on the floor. Paid a 100 times more for it than MS.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/15/2022 6:57 PM  #31

I got a 49 Pontiac “torpedo” back for $35.00 in 1958.
A year later I spent $300.00 for my first real motorcycle a 1000cc Vincent Black Shadow.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/15/2022 7:38 PM  #32

The first car I drove was a 55 Dodge station wagon with 3 on the tree. I was 10 years old. Dad parked in on a hill in front of my uncles house to invite him to dinner and axet if I wanted to drive. He told me what to and after awhile we were off. My uncle said he would walk, we passed him half way there. After that day I drove all the airport vehicles. Mostly the gas truck. I've had a number of cars. Mostly automatics. My 70 has a T5 in it now. 

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/15/2022 8:43 PM  #33

I had the poor man's introduction to driving.

My uncle stored his 41 Studebaker in our garage and when my folks were gone I taught myself to drive it around the block.  I was 13-14.  After it was scrapped my mom got a 47 Studebaker.  That was when I was 16.  My brother and I tore it up playing.  It ended up at the junk yard too with a rod knock, slipping clutch, and broken front suspension.  It's amazing what fun you can have with a beater like that.  Think of "Road Kill".

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/16/2022 8:44 AM  #34

At 16 years old, I bought a 1950 Plymouth Cranbrook 4 door. Flat six three on the tree! Gutless wonder. Put an Olds 324 with dual range hydromatic in back seat. real short drive shaft. Put limits on rear axle travel and had the only car in town that would do wheelies in street trim. Paid $20.00 for it, and $20.00 for the 57 Olds the engine tranny and rear came from.

5/16/2022 9:49 AM  #35

In my teens if you would have cut the top of my head off and looked inside all you would see is a bunch of motorcycles, airplanes and cars running around.
In high school I was in the Air Cadet association, affiliated with the RCAF.
I got a scholarship from them which got me into a program for getting flight training. At the time I was only 15 and not old enough to drive alone, so I ended up getting my private pilot license before a driver license.
I have been pretty well obsessed with anything that had wheels or wings ever since.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.