FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2022 12:21 PM  #1

MustangSteve..What power steering pump you running......

MustangSteve..What power steering pump you running with your total control rack.?  Is it a saginaw Type two??

5/27/2022 8:21 PM  #2

Re: MustangSteve..What power steering pump you running......

KRC on my 66.  Pump on there since 2005, over 50k miles.  No noise and not even any seepage ever.
I have the brand new saginaw type II on my 69 with a borgeson. It makes noise.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/28/2022 6:00 AM  #3

I put the Lee Saginaw-in-Ford-dress in the Heap, upon Josh's recommendation.  Works way  better than the 5.0 pump I had been running.  I too have a Borgeson box.  No noise, returns to center much better, slightly more effort. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/28/2022 10:17 AM  #4

MS wrote:

KRC on my 66. Pump on there since 2005, over 50k miles. No noise and not even any seepage ever.
I have the brand new saginaw type II on my 69 with a borgeson. It makes noise.

I have a KRC pump and it howls some when turning either direction.  No leaks, though.  Pump has been on for 5 years.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/28/2022 12:43 PM  #5

Just a note … I have a Saginaw style Borgeson pump on my R&P steering.  Borgeson sells a pressure kit #899001, so that one can match the proper pump pressure needed for their particular system.  I found that I was running too high of a pressure and needed to reduce it on my system as the steering was ‘touchy’ when slightly turning the wheels especially at highway speeds.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/28/2022 1:58 PM  #6

BobE wrote:

Just a note … I have a Saginaw style Borgeson pump on my R&P steering.  Borgeson sells a pressure kit #899001, so that one can match the proper pump pressure needed for their particular system.  I found that I was running too high of a pressure and needed to reduce it on my system as the steering was ‘touchy’ when slightly turning the wheels especially at highway speeds.

Good info.  I haave done that once on my KRC pump.  And, you can get a kit of different sizes from TCP.  At least I did.

5/28/2022 3:03 PM  #7

lowercasesteve wrote:

BobE wrote:

Good info.  I haave done that once on my KRC pump.  And, you can get a kit of different sizes from TCP.  At least I did.

On my KRC pump with TCP rack, I bought the most restrictive orifice they make.  Steering feel improved drastically.  I wish they made a more restrictive one, but I guess that would be called MANUAL STEERING.

5/28/2022 7:16 PM  #8

MS wrote:

lowercasesteve wrote:

BobE wrote:

On my KRC pump with TCP rack, I bought the most restrictive orifice they make. Steering feel improved drastically. I wish they made a more restrictive one, but I guess that would be called MANUAL STEERING.

Thanks.  Mine is still too light.  The only reason I installed the power steering in the first place was to make it drivable for my wife, who can drive stick shifts and needed the extra boost.  Her driving it is for emergencies only as the car is too rough for her tastes.

5/29/2022 9:54 AM  #9

I went with the saginaw style Borgeson conversion on my 65 MS about 8 years ago. Works well, had to replace the pump after last trip to Montana due to excessive heat caused from a leak driving home. I "boiled" the PS fluid yes boiled the fluid coming home near the end of the trip. I was toping off the pump after my last fill up and could hear it bubbling inside as I filled it. When I replaced the pump I found the pressure hose was so hard from the heat it was cracking apart. The new lines they sent me were longer and I was able to route them up and away from the exhaust better, first kits had them just to close to the front exhaust. I also have headers now and I  installed the Hi heat plug boots on the line just for added safety. I do find it to be a very tight driving feel. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/29/2022 11:20 AM  #10

Dumb question, but could a larger pulley help with the "over boosted" setups?

5/29/2022 3:46 PM  #11

Raymond B, it's a lot easier to change the shims on the pump

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

5/29/2022 8:00 PM  #12

Similar question....My car has the factory type power steering is there a way to restrict it down a little to make it a less responsive ?  Its almost to easy.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/30/2022 8:39 AM  #13

Raymond_B wrote:

Dumb question, but could a larger pulley help with the "over boosted" setups?

Trucks already have a larger pulley compared to Foxbody.

I’m no engineer, the larger pulley would only decrease the pump’s rpm’s.

The relief/bypass design pressure would still be the same.

The “piston “ with the nut and washers is from a remanufactured pump and the other one is a factory.

There appeared to be a spring/check ball inside (couldn’t disassemble either without damaging).
I believe the washers on remanufactured pump piston sets the system pressure.

5/30/2022 12:25 PM  #14

PS pumps are a "positive displacement" type pump.  These pumps will put out a specific volume of fluid for each revolution of the pump.  The output pressure is regulated by a relief valve.  The shims that Borgeson sells impact the relief valve spring tension.  This changes the pump's output pressure.
This same concept is the same for the engine's oil pump, if you want to increase output pressure, place some washers behind the spring. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/30/2022 5:37 PM  #15

Yeah I get that it's easier to shim or use restrictors, but one comment said they had used the smallest restrictor and it still felt over boosted, hence my comment. So lower RPM would not = lower pressure? Seems like it does with an oil pump...

5/30/2022 8:48 PM  #16

Raymond_B wrote:

Yeah I get that it's easier to shim or use restrictors, but one comment said they had used the smallest restrictor and it still felt over boosted, hence my comment. So lower RPM would not = lower pressure? Seems like it does with an oil pump...

It depends on the rpm the pump/relief valve is designed for.  Usually the pump’s out put will be somewhere in the middle of the relief valve’s range, so if rom is less it will still provide adequate pressure and, if rpm is too high it can still regulate the max output of the pump.

5/31/2022 8:00 AM  #17

I am running a KRC pump on My race car. KRC has a wonderful selection of pulleys and brackets and valves/orifices to get you dialed in just right. The 5.0 pump said uncle when I built the new motor with the Motorsports block and started seeing over 8000 RPM. KRC set me up with all the right pulleys brackets and spacers to succeed.

5/31/2022 8:41 PM  #18

We are in luck…I did disassemble the “pressure regulator.”
I know I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to “how does this work?”

By adding more/thicker washers pressure is decreased on the spring to seat the check ball.

I’m guessing the factory style consists of 2 pieces pressed together to make the assembly.

Last edited by Nos681 (5/31/2022 8:54 PM)

6/01/2022 8:45 AM  #19

Some may not be aware.  KRC pumps also are offered in other less expensive variants than the aluminum one offered through TCP.  And, if you go to SPEEDWAY, they offer many different types of circle track pumps that are similar, and most are not expensive at all. Like $100.  And they have brackets and pulleys for Fords. I think I paid $45 for my brackets, but that was over ten tears ago.

For those not familiar with SPEEDWAY, they also offer lots of fabrication stuff like frame brackets, swedged, threaded tubes and many other specialty items.

The 9” differential in my 69 even came from them with their name cast into the housing. It cost half what I had paid for one from Strange but it is silent, unlike the Strange.  I guess that noise costs extra.

6/01/2022 8:52 AM  #20

Thanks for all the input.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.