FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2016 8:54 AM  #1

17" Wheels for 65 fastback

Hi, I have searched the site and there is some good information on this topic. The car will have stock wheel tubs and I am hoping to avoid any wheel spacers. It sounds like it is good practice to roll the fender/qtr lips with any 17". The car will be slightly lower than stock maybe 1" to 2". 4 corner disc brakes with the MS power brake/clutch setup. The front suspension will be an aftermarket coil over with he Shelby lowering allowing me to run a bit more aggressive camber and castor than stock. Aftermarket 4 link with a 9" on the back. 363 FRPP and TKO drivetrain. I am hoping to get a wheel/tire combination that balances putting more rubber under the car for performance and fills the wheel tubs nicely from a cosmetic point of view but does not interfere with the sheetmetal or suspension.I was thinking of going with Steve's suggestion of 17x7 all around with 235/45R/17 tire as it will be driven a lot and tire rotation is a factor. The only thing I was not clear on is the backspacing - the one post I saw suggested 4 to 4 3/8". I am getting custom wheels done so I can dial in the backspacing exactly - what would you suggest for the front and the back in that regard?

Thanks
Dave

4/18/2016 9:48 AM  #2

Re: 17" Wheels for 65 fastback

I'm running 17x8 with a 41/2 back space and a 245/45/17 tire on the back of my 65 coupe. I did roll the finder lips, I didn't want to cut a tire. That tire/ wheel combo works for me

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

4/18/2016 9:59 AM  #3

Hi Dave,  Welcome to FYIFord!  Since I am NOT one of the many engineer folks that frequent here, I cannot figure out things three steps ahead.  My tendency would be to get the front and rear ends of choice mocked up, hang the rotors and calipers, and then measure what you actually have to determine the perfect wheel fitment, prior to ordering custom wheels.  There is a lot of experience here, and there will be lots of help when it comes to spending your money

4/19/2016 4:32 PM  #4

Hmmm... on my 65 convertible, my effective backspacing is 4.72 (running 2003 17x8 5.72 bs bullet rims with 1" spacers) but all my suspension is stock. If I have any less backspacing I'll rub on the upper control arms (which I have trimmed a little bit). Even if I had aftermarket upper control arms without any lip, I think I have barely any space between outer tie rods. Can't imagine getting away with any less backspacing, maybe another 1/8... nothing less than 4.6 on my car. My lips are rolled extremely flush, and no rubbing except passenger front and in only in reverse while turning.

The rear quarters are rolled a little bit.. and no rubbing. tires are 245/45/17.

MS Steve's suggestion is solid unless you like giving yourself pain. I chose pain... didn't like it, next time maybe I'll listen.

65 Vert (UCA mod,4bbl, hipo ex, 17x8), 2013 C-Max (hitch & cargo net), 2018 Cherokee (In bumper hitch)

4/19/2016 6:25 PM  #5

JeffK, having less backspacing moves the wheel outward, not inward, or maybe I misunderstood your statement.

The best handling will be achieved with a 17x7 with 4" backspacing, which is a zero offset wheel like the car was designed to use.  This plays heavily into handling and scrub radius.

Best fender clearance compromise is to use a 4.25" backspacing.  The scrub radius won't notice 1/8" difference from center.  At least not much.

I do not see how a 17x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing and a 245x45/17 tire would clear the rear quarters.  A 17x8 with 5.72" backspacing and 245x45 tire (same wheel as Bullitt Mustang 2002) seems to fit the rear of a 65/66 just about perfect.  At least it did on my car and on the 65 couple I did for a customer recently.  A wheel with 4.5" backspacing would stick out 1.25" MORE and would surely rub the quarter no matter how much you rolled the lip, as least on those two cars.  For that to clear, it seems like the rear of the car would have to be lifted up way high and have some positive stop to keep it from ever approaching the stock ride height.  I firmly believe a tire needs to have 100% clearance at any point in the suspension's travel limits.  It will, at SOME POINT, use all of the available travel, even if it doesn't rub when carefully driving down to Sonic.

A 17x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing is a lot easier to come by than a wheel with deeper backspacing (that has a matching front wheel in 17x7), so I am open to being educated as to how to make that work.

I am having a custom width rear made for my 66 right now to work with the 17x8/5.72" backspacing wheels and 245x45/17 tires.  The total width of the rear is 58.25" from axle flange to axle flange.  Calculations show this is the perfect width to get the rear wheels under the quarters without rubbing, and provide maximum width possible.  I verified this dimension with the old rear end by installing spacers to make the rear end think it was 58.25" wide.
Clearancing of any sharp edges on the inner wheel house is recommended just in case the tire rubs on a sharp inclined driveway.  They will not rub at any other time,and you are going super slow when it happens, if ever.

Last edited by MS (4/19/2016 6:31 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/20/2016 2:26 PM  #6

You are right Steve, I had my back spacing backwards in my head.

"I do not see how a 17x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing and a 245x45/17 tire would clear the rear quarters."

This is a picture of my car when I first put the 17x8 with wheel spacers on it, with new HD suspension, the whole car has since settled (the front dropped just a tiny bit from this pic and the rear dropped a lot, its hard to fit fingers between the tires and the fenders/quarters.)

Last edited by JeffK (4/20/2016 2:42 PM)

65 Vert (UCA mod,4bbl, hipo ex, 17x8), 2013 C-Max (hitch & cargo net), 2018 Cherokee (In bumper hitch)

4/20/2016 5:11 PM  #7

Yep, I can see that probably would rub in the rear if you bottomed out the suspension.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/23/2016 8:27 AM  #8

Hi and thanks to all for the input.

Steve, I will go with your suggestion on the front of a 17x7 4.25" bs and 235/45R17.

I am looking at a custom rear end build (as my car was a six with the smaller diff so I have to get one anyways) and custom wheels, what would be your suggestion on possible rear backspacing for a 17x7 wheel maintaining the 235/45R17 tires like the front?

On the custom rear setup you are considering on your 66 do you expect a noticeable back to front rake in the car when using the 17x8 with the 245/45R18 as the 245 is a bit more than 1.3" taller tire than the 235/45R17 on the front? Or would you lower the rear ride height commensurately to keep the car in a more balanced profile? Or is my thinking flawed on the configuration you are thinking about? 

Thanks in advance
Dave 

4/23/2016 12:28 PM  #9

Sorry please disregard the last comment on the last post - I see my error - small difference in tire diameter on a 245/45/17 with a 17x8 wheel and 235/45/17 on the 17x7 wheel in the front. Typed an 18" diameter rim into the tire comp app I had. My bad ....

5/26/2022 7:10 PM  #10

Hey MS…I found your axle information in post #5

5/27/2022 3:51 PM  #11

Hello I own a 1965 Ford Mustang C-Code Coupe 289 C4 Automatic factory A/c And Factory P/S.  I went with 1" lowering coil springs from Eibach also plan on doing shelby drop. For my wheel Tires combo I went with a 17x7  front and a 17x8 rear. Believe the fronts are 4.25" backspacing  and rear 17x8 are 4.5 backspacing. Tires are 235/45 Z R 17 for front. and for the rear wheels I went with tire size
245/45 Z R 17. Purchased wheels on Ebay MS actually hinted me in the direction as he was telling me about his Bullitt wheels that he had been custom made to his specs. I found the set of wheels listed for 65-73 Ford Mustangs. Beleive the Wheel Is called a Retro.

Last edited by True74yamaha (5/27/2022 4:04 PM)

5/27/2022 3:53 PM  #12

The only picture I have of my car that I can find with the new wheels

Last edited by True74yamaha (5/27/2022 3:59 PM)

5/27/2022 7:13 PM  #13

Looks very nice.

5/28/2022 12:46 PM  #14

Nos681 wrote:

Looks very nice.

I don't know about her looking nice, but she's coming along. Also like to mention I am also running MS GT brake kit with 13.2" 2013 Mustang front brakes the wheels clear calipers no problem. I haven't had the car realigned since Purchasing my Borgeson Powersteering Conversion and purchasing my new wheels.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.