FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2022 3:56 PM  #1

power steering issue

i am helping a friend with a 67 mustang, appears to at one time having factory power steering. when he bought the car there wasn't a pump or bracket on the engine. he had electric power steering installed on the car, and after i have driven the car it seems a bit too hard to steer even with the setting set to full assist.                                                         now for the issue, the car has almost 1/4 turn of the steering wheel before the tires start to move. after checking under the car, the movement is coming from the pitman arm where it  attaches to the drag link.                                         do i replace the pitman arm along with the drag link and while i'm at it, replace the idler arm as well?

6/06/2022 6:08 PM  #2

Re: power steering issue

How does it turn with front wheels off ground?

I would verify that the electric steering is actually working first.
Might be a mechanical problem….bad wire connection is a mechanical problem.😜

Then the gearbox second with pitman arm disconnected.

I wouldn’t start changing parts yet….that’s my suggestion.

6/06/2022 6:17 PM  #3

all tested with wheels on the ground and you could actually see the movement between the pitman arm and the drag link

6/06/2022 7:18 PM  #4

Is the EPAS still on the car?
Does the steering box have any play?
What drag link do you have, power or manual
Is the Pitman arm the one from power steering or manual set up?
The manual Pitman arm has the ball and taper integral.
The power arm has a tapered hole that mates with the control valve.
  My EPAS operates with one finger on max assist when parked.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/06/2022 9:53 PM  #5

Does it have a manual steering link or power?

The mention of “1/4 turn of play” makes me think the power control valve may still be on the car.

Any pictures?

Last edited by Nos681 (6/06/2022 9:55 PM)

6/07/2022 6:07 AM  #6

power steering linkage is in the car, the movement is where the pitman arm attaches to the original power steering drag link.

6/08/2022 6:59 AM  #7

It will need to be changed over to a solid connection like a manual steering car uses. Sounds like it has the original p/s reaction valve on it without any hydraulics to hold things still.
A part is made to replace the reaction valve with a normal manual link connection, or switch to a manual steering center link.

Electric power steering works great to add power, but you still have to deal with the reaction valve and a worn out steering box once the valve is replaced.  The new EPAS does not address all the other loose parts in the system.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.