FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2022 7:09 PM  #1

Hope this isnt a repeat on Sniper EFI

I recently had my 65 289 rebuilt with a nice lumpy cam. 475/260 with 108 LS, 9.5 -1 pistons, performer intake and long tube headers from up north in WA and a new C4. I started out with a eldei 500 cfm and then made the change over to the Holley Sniper with the mustang in tank pump.  WOW after getting the IAC set around 5 this thing rocks with an idle of 800.  I did add a throttle extendtion that I made because I couldn't get my cruise to stop surging and that also made the off idle much smoother. All and all at 50 miles on it I love it.  Havent made a datalog yet to see how well it is but will soon.

Chris

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/06/2022 9:25 AM  #2

Re: Hope this isnt a repeat on Sniper EFI

Cab4word67 wrote:

I recently had my 65 289 rebuilt with a nice lumpy cam. 475/260 with 108 LS, 9.5 -1 pistons, performer intake and long tube headers from up north in WA and a new C4. I started out with a eldei 500 cfm and then made the change over to the Holley Sniper with the mustang in tank pump.  WOW after getting the IAC set around 5 this thing rocks with an idle of 800.  I did add a throttle extendtion that I made because I couldn't get my cruise to stop surging and that also made the off idle much smoother. All and all at 50 miles on it I love it.  Havent made a datalog yet to see how well it is but will soon.

Chris

Keep us updated at you add more miles too it.  

5/06/2022 10:27 AM  #3

Soooooooooooo....snotty idle cams CAN work with FI!?!

Could mean the end of the "controlled-drip" of a cob-er-ader
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/06/2022 10:37 AM  #4

Steve69 wrote:

Cab4word67 wrote:

Chris

Keep us updated at you add more miles too it.  

Yes, please do keep us updated, I've been looking at this EFI for my Mustang.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/07/2022 12:38 AM  #5

well as I drive it it seams to be better and better. I recorded a datalog today and loaded it in the PC but I couldn't make any snice out of it. But it defiantly has more "Getty up" when you step on it. I cant wait for my trip to Montana this July. I will keep all of you in the loop with my endeavor. I only got 1000 miles on this new motor, I need to get out and drive it. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/07/2022 7:33 AM  #6

I have the Edelbrock Proflo 4 EFI on my 68 , (347 stroker T5 AC) Once it was set and the self learning had time, mine works great with smooth idle and drivability.

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

5/07/2022 7:51 PM  #7

BTaylor wrote:

I have the Edelbrock Proflo 4 EFI on my 68 , (347 stroker T5 AC) Once it was set and the self learning had time, mine works great with smooth idle and drivability.

What kind of "stuff" is in the 347?
 6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/08/2022 5:24 AM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

BTaylor wrote:

What kind of "stuff" is in the 347?
 6s6

A cam with the following specs:

100 degree LSA
.859/.865 lift
310/315 degrees of duration at 0.050" tappet lift

Kidding of course, but I wish I could have seen your face as you read the preceeeding

5/08/2022 5:29 AM  #9

It is a Blueprint crate engine, their 415/415 version. 543 in 554 ex 218 in 226 ex 112 at 50 .
Dyno at 416 HP 433 TQ

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

5/09/2022 9:13 AM  #10

BTaylor wrote:

I was checking out that system also!  

5/18/2022 10:36 PM  #11

Up dating the Sniper ordeal. Its been a week I think, don't know anymore being retired lol. anyway the car has been doing very well. I was still having some problems with the idle mostly at cold start (50 deg out) but this is what I did and it has worked well. First I re programed the sniper to a 297ci instead of the 306 ci I mistakenly listed. That will help. Then I leaned the AFR out on idle from 13.5 to 13.8 and bumped the cruise up to 14.2 from 14. Now it starts up and runs at the set 1100 for cold start. When warmed it idles at 780rpm the set  point I have. I  even idled down at 750 but I haven left it there yet. At 780-800 I still have all that rumpy rump cam. We will be road testing this weekend as it will be sunny. Then I can see if cruise is lean enough or maybe I can go up to 14.5 and drive if ok still  I will pull a plug and check. 

5/20/2022 9:47 AM  #12

Keep it coming Cab4word67(Chris!).  Really good info for everyone.
6sal6

5/21/2022 7:06 PM  #13

OK new update for the Sniper install on the 289 with a 108LSA cam. So far the only thing I have some struggle with has been getting it to idle without a surge to the hi and then lows of the RPM, sometimes it would die when dropped into gear (stock C4) . Well after some internet research and a great guy I met on FB that problem is gone. It seams you shouldn't run a stock 289 2bl PCV on a built sbf with a lummy cam and EFI like I did. he said to change out the valve for a fixed orifice type and I did. For a $1.29 I have a 1/8" hole fixed orifice PCV and the engine loves it,  part number I used was the fram2377. 
The other update is we have taken a GCF of a cruise around the blocks and smoothed out a little of the peaks. Car sure is running to nouch now. 

Last edited by Cab4word67 (5/21/2022 10:28 PM)

5/22/2022 5:40 PM  #14

Fram 2377 PVC.........................good info!!
6s6

6/06/2022 9:32 AM  #15

Cab4word67 - just looking for an update on how the the Sniper EFI is working for you.
Also, are you using the "Sniper Hyperspark" distributor, or some other ignition system that integrates with Holley's Sniper EFI system?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/06/2022 6:29 PM  #16

OK Ok Ok, here is todays update. Car has been in garage while it rained. Have had it out and will be out tomorrow. My internet friend has helped me tuning it to be much less rich in the AFR. We are now targeting a idle of 13.9, cruise of 14.5 and WO of 12.8, but I dont know what WO is at 79% TPS. It is stating up very quick and runs super. I discovered last night that I only have 79% throttle (TPS). But that's a improvement over the 50% TPS I started with. I found you cant just move the linkage back to the firewall and tighten down. Got to get a foot on the pedal. But at 79% it screams like it never has. Problily that 460/108LSA cam, or what ever it is.
Anyway today I found the gremlin that has come back that wasnt letting me start the car. The alarm relay was pluged into the neutral switch but the connector was not right size and had come loose. I must have disturbed it fixing my AC duct that was hanging down. So I went in and repaired it. 
Then I installed my version of a kill switch that I installed on the 57 C3100 recently. What this one does is it interrupts the Sniper circuit with 2 relays. You have to turn key on, then push magic button, then car will start unless you turn key off and then you have to start over. Second relay holds the power on after you push majic button.  I figure hot wiring under the hood wont help because I killed the fuel system. Unless you know about the button you cant start it up. And you cant see the relays,  But then if they really want it they will tow it. Its only for the honest thief.
I am trying to read his files and soon be able to understand how he tunes, so i can do it myself. You just cant bolt it on and be prefect.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (6/06/2022 6:31 PM)

6/06/2022 7:03 PM  #17

When /How do you get to 100% TPS......if ya can't just "adjust" the linkage??
Interesting
(Love the news a snotty idling cam will work with FI.....and obviously work WELL!)
6sally6)

6/06/2022 10:00 PM  #18

Oh yes the snortty cam is all in, and sounds bad -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have-. And yes I need to just do a  little more adjustment, I am just cutting myself short.

6/09/2022 12:20 AM  #19

6sally6 wrote:

When /How do you get to 100% TPS......if ya can't just "adjust" the linkage??
Interesting
(Love the news a snotty idling cam will work with FI.....and obviously work WELL!)
6sally6)

I added the extendtion to the EFI to make it not so touchy and thats were I mite have lost some of my 100%. I think if I was to make the linkage off the firewall longer I could get it back but I really dont need the last 10% because at 50% it was bad -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have-. And I now have 90%. so its fine for now

6/09/2022 4:54 AM  #20

Is there a setting that varies the rate of ramp with respect to throttle position to prevent the “touchy” throttle?

If there is, you should be able to get rid of your throttle linkage add-on and have full throttle range.

Setting like this could be used for the “valet” mode.

6/10/2022 10:44 AM  #21

Great idea but no. It seams to be common with the sniper as it only has a 1" throw off center of the shaft. I made my own to match what I had from my eldie. This makes it work just fine at 2" throw. What I am seeing is the pedal linkage is hitting the block at idle and from there I can only get 90% then I run out of floor. I am looking into it. The other option is to install the progressive secondary linkage from a Holly carb and then reprogram the sniper to a 2x4 barrel, then you will get all four at about 40% tell WOT. I really dont need that last 10% in this ride.

6/22/2022 5:02 PM  #22

OK its 6-22 and we are as ready as we can be for the road trip to Montana and back. Date to roll is 6-28 and temp will be in low 80s with the AC crankin.  Apx 1400 miles, and 3 very high passes both ways. Motor should be almost fully broke in by then (3500 mile total). The Sniper has had some final tweaking with the help of a friend that I have sent datalogs to. I am studying all of them learning how to tune this EFI stuff and I will get it. 
I am looking forward to what kind of MPGs i get now with the newly built 289. I got 16 with cruise set at 70 and AC blasting when I had 135k and a 2 bl carb.

6/22/2022 7:57 PM  #23

Bet 'cha get 18/19 MPG!!

(LET'S ALL GUESS WHAT KINDA MILEAGE  CAB4WORD67(Chris) WILL GET ON HIS TRIP!!!!!)

Low 80's and the AC crank'in?!!!!
Boy please!!  It hit the dollar mark here today bruuuuutal.
Low 80's is when I think....... "it's nice today...think I'll take the old hot rod out"!!
6sal6
Enjoy the va-ca!

6/27/2022 11:06 AM  #24

19.5 for fuel mileage is my guess!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/28/2022 10:08 AM  #25

Hey, Cougarman, how is your new Sniper system working out?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.