FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2022 7:37 PM  #1

New Fuel Line

I want to replace the hard fuel line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter with some SS Braided Fuel line but can’t seem to find a place the cut me about 24” of line so I can fit it to a 90’ elbow at the fuel pump and fit it to the fuel filter. There are lots out there but I don’t need 10’ or 20’ of fuel line. Any suggestions. I have added a few pictures of the current fuel line set up.

6/02/2022 7:59 AM  #2

Re: New Fuel Line

I measured how much I needed and bought mine from Summit racing with the ends already on the lines. 

6/02/2022 10:04 AM  #3

I used SS Braided fuel line, fittings and an in-line fuel filter from Summit.  Fabricated the line, including into the dual bowls on the Holley carburetor. 
I used a cutoff wheel on a pneumatic die-grinder to cut the braided line (found this made a much cleaner cut than using a hacksaw) and followed the instructions from Areoquip and Russell for connecting the fittings.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/02/2022 5:32 PM  #4

I would suggest $10 worth of hard line and make a new one similar to that nice looking old one. Why downgrade to braided?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/27/2022 8:50 PM  #5

After taking a pause on this topic, I’m going to take your advice MS. I’m gonna grab me some SS tubing and get to bending. I think I can adjust the location of the outlet port towards the radiator to minimize that hard bend.

6/28/2022 5:13 AM  #6

Aluminum is an option as well.  I have an aluminum line on my '67.  Much easier to bend than stainless, and my setup has no rubber from the pump to the carb. 

6/28/2022 6:25 AM  #7

You might have a look at these guys, they have lots of fittings and bulk material. Not sure they sell braided line by the foot though.

https://www.inlinetube.com/

6/28/2022 8:16 AM  #8

I just use steel hard line purchased at NAPA. They still carry the galvanized silver stuff.  It bends easily and is very durable.  Just be sure to put a bulge in the end where any rubber line attaches to it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/28/2022 9:29 AM  #9

I believe bending the SS tubing to duplicate the OEM steel line would prove to be difficult unless you’re using some sophisticated bending tools.  I agree with using cooper-nickel, aluminum or steel lines, much easier to work with.   

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.