FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2022 8:17 AM  #1

Looking for better shifter for TKO 600 5-speed trans

Has anyone come up with a better shifter for a TKO 600 five speed tranny?  The one that came with the new transmission is very notchy, sometimes requiring ALOT of force to go into first.

I am pulling the trans to install a new clutch and flywheel, so now is the time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/26/2022 9:43 AM  #2

Re: Looking for better shifter for TKO 600 5-speed trans

I have no direct experience, but Hanlon Motorsports sells a PRO 5.0 shifter for the TKO 600. 

7/26/2022 9:59 AM  #3

MS - Just a thought, are you sure the clutch is fully disengaging, maybe it needs to be adjusted?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/26/2022 10:25 AM  #4

BobE wrote:

MS - Just a thought, are you sure the clutch is fully disengaging, maybe it needs to be adjusted?

This is a good question.  How has reverse been?

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/26/2022 12:24 PM  #5

Clutch releases properly.
Billy Walton helped me find a Pro 5.0 at Jegs, so I have that coming, to be installed with the new clutch and flywheel.
Since my cable clutch system is the original MustangSteve prototype, I may install the current production quadrant to get the latest ease of cable hookup.  That setup has been in there since around 2000.

7/26/2022 4:34 PM  #6

I have a Pro 5.0 on my Factory 5 Cobra, very happy with it.

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

7/26/2022 6:47 PM  #7

Dkralc wrote:

I have a Pro 5.0 on my Factory 5 Cobra, very happy with it.

Is it a T5 or a TKO?

7/26/2022 10:29 PM  #8

I love my Pro 5.0

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

7/27/2022 5:43 AM  #9

I have 3 Pr0 5.0s, two on T5s (Mustangs) and one on a T56 (IROC).  I will never buy another shifter.  Build quality is first rate, materials are first rate, action is awesome, and they last seemingly forever. 

7/27/2022 6:48 AM  #10

My Trans was a TKO600.

7/27/2022 7:05 AM  #11

I have a new Pro 5.0 shifter for a Tremec 3550 that I would make some one a good deal on if they would need it.  

7/27/2022 12:14 PM  #12

I am running the Pro5.0 on my Racecar. Not a thing bad to say about it!!! Smooth and exact! Enough throw to know where you are but not enough to slow me down!! Also have one on the T% on my 65. It is just as good.

7/28/2022 7:32 AM  #13

Thanks for all the input. My pro 5.0 shifter should arrive tomorrow.   I received my new clutch and flywheel yesterday.  Danged Round Tuit still in limbo.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.