FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/29/2022 8:37 PM  #1

Which High Output 1G Alternator should I buy?

For starters I do not want a Single wire system so no need to retake the topic on that.
Secondly why I want/need a higher output is irrelevant, let's just assume I know what I'm doing and/or talking about.

I really, strongly, simply and humbly require insight on which High Output Alt brand to go with?

I read mixed reviews on all of them, Powermaster, Quality Power, Tuff Stuff. What is the collective here say about the best or very reliable or quality product/brand?

7/29/2022 9:17 PM  #2

Re: Which High Output 1G Alternator should I buy?

Welp (thnx RPM)........
IF it was me,  I would................

Just kidd'in!!!
May this me the first (and best) straight answer you get!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/29/2022 11:45 PM  #3

I opted to upgrade from the 1G alternators that use the external voltage regulator to a more modern 3G alternator that has an integrated voltage regulator.  I also took the opportunity to open my front wiring harness and remove the wires that went to the external voltage regulator.  I'm happy with this decision.  Based on this, I would recommend a small case 95amp 3G alternator as the way to go.  Also, don't do any "retro" fit kit but dive in and change the wiring.  The wiring is simple.  You can find the 3G diagrams on the web along with the 1G wires you would no longer use. 

Disclaimer:  I'm assuming you're building your car as a driver and not a show queen.  If going for show points, just put any 1G alternator on there since you won't really be driving it that much.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/30/2022 12:41 AM  #4

With mixed product reviews on the most popular choices, I would be looking at warranty/defect/ return policies to see whose is best. Reviews for warranty issues might be another good search.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/30/2022 5:59 AM  #5

I would simply do the 3G upgrade as well.  I used a Powermaster and have had no issues in close to 10 years.  I kept my external regulator for appearance, but it no longer does anything.  I agree that the retrofit kit is a waste of money; just rewire. 

I would ponder whether the mixed reviews for high output 1G alternators had to do with the company building them or the inherent limitations with the 1G architecture.  Ford went away from it for a reason. 

7/30/2022 8:42 AM  #6

Bolted to Floor wrote:

With mixed product reviews on the most popular choices, I would be looking at warranty/defect/ return policies to see whose is best. Reviews for warranty issues might be another good search.

I agree and place of purchase that honors the warranty,

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/30/2022 2:55 PM  #7

I resisted 3G for many years but am now a big fan of having consistent voltage. Go with 3G

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/30/2022 3:29 PM  #8

For the new folks looking into alternators, 1G alternators were nice upgrades to the generators before them and so they lasted for many model years.  Then Ford came out with a 2G alternator that had under sized wiring that was a fire hazard and so it was quickly replaced by the 3G design which cured these issues.  The 3G alternators lasted many model years before being replaced.  The 3G alternators produce good power at lower RPMs which combined with the reliable design is the reason it is a very popular choice.  The predominately GM 1-wire alternators are only chosen by those that think the wiring simplicity outweighs the inferior load detection capabilities.  Research all of these points yourself and I'm sure you'll also choose a 3G alternator.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/30/2022 5:18 PM  #9

My alternator guy said that the problem with the 2G was the double spade connector for the main battery wires and replace mine with a stud like the 3Gs use.  The double spades get loose and create a lot of heat, hence, fire.  I just recently replaced the 2G with 3G due to the possibility of alternator failure on the road and only finding a replacement with the spade connectors.  3G replacement on the road isn't an easy option as the 3G uses a different connector for ignition and field (rotor) power.
Go 3G and be happy.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/30/2022 5:25 PM  #10

Here is list of Ford alternators that will work, they are much cheaper than aftermarket. I used one from the Taurus, needed reclocking and slight mods.
If you are using a 130 amp alt. and you are using other than serpentine belt you will need double v belts, a single will scream like a banshee.

93-96 Taurus 3.0 V-6 (non SHO)
94-96 Mustang 3.8 V-6
94-95 Mustang 5.0
94-96 Thunderbird 3.8 V-6 (non SC)
95-96 Windstar 3.0 V-6 (most are 3.8's)
93-96 E/F series Trucks/Vans 4.9 L6*
96 Sable 3.0 V-6
94-96 Cougar 3.8 V-6

Last edited by Rudi (7/30/2022 7:39 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/30/2022 5:31 PM  #11

I'm running a single V on my 95amp 3G and it usually doesn't squeal at all at startup, unless I've had to spin the engine extra times for any reason.  Even then the squeal is only a couple of seconds.  They make a white voltage regulator for the 3Gs that has a 10 second soft start delay built in.  I bought one of these white voltage regulators but haven't installed it yet since the startups are usually squeal free.  Of course, your experience may vary I'm sure depending on the battery in addition to the alternator possibly being more prone to squeal.

7/31/2022 6:29 AM  #12

Rufus68 wrote:

For the new folks looking into alternators, 1G alternators were nice upgrades to the generators before them and so they lasted for many model years.  Then Ford came out with a 2G alternator that had under sized wiring that was a fire hazard and so it was quickly replaced by the 3G design which cured these issues.  The 3G alternators lasted many model years before being replaced.  The 3G alternators produce good power at lower RPMs which combined with the reliable design is the reason it is a very popular choice.  The predominately GM 1-wire alternators are only chosen by those that think the wiring simplicity outweighs the inferior load detection capabilities.  Research all of these points yourself and I'm sure you'll also choose a 3G alternator.

Here's the thing with those GM alternators: they aren't really one wire either.  They are mostly GM's 10SI alternators, which are good, internally regulated units.  To make them one wire they are simply tying the feedback wire to the output post.  The alternator then operates under the mistaken belief that whatever its putting out is a measure of voltage through the system.  They tend to charge fine at low RPM, but if you throw a real load on the system they don't produce enough juice.  They were created for early street rods, where typically there was little to no draw.  Once guys started wanting power windows, etc. in those rods the issues became apparent pretty quick. If you wanted a one wire alternator you could wire any internally regulated alternator like that.  It would have all the same issues as the GM ones, so not sure why anyone would do that.  

7/31/2022 9:00 AM  #13

If going to the 3G alternator, don't forget to include proper fuse protection.  A high output alternator with the original wiring can cause problems (read, fire) if not properly fuse protected. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.