FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2022 3:55 PM  #1

66 mustang coupe back seat foam.

Hey everyone just had a quick question for you. I’m in the process of re doing my back seat covers on my 66 mustang. And found some mice feces in the crevasses around the frame. I sprayed it with some bleach and was about to clean it up and re use it.  The foam looks good still but I wasn’t sure if that is ok to do or should I just look for new foam. Haven’t really ever dealt with this before.

Or is the foam something I can just go to my local craft store and pick up. Any advise is appreciated.

7/07/2022 2:37 PM  #2

Re: 66 mustang coupe back seat foam.

Are you sure the mice diidn't borrow into the foam, and build a nest where you can't see.
If you re-do the foam, I'd suggest buying the foam from a supplier already formed for the seat rather trying to duplicate it .. but that just me. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/07/2022 4:04 PM  #3

Yeah the more I thought about it. I’m going to replace it. I have been looking around and can’t find any foam for it though. Plenty of stuff for fastbacks but nothing I have Seen for foam on the 66 coupe.  The only thing I just found is a kit from npd that’s says it’s a padding kit. Does anyone know if that’s all I need or is it actually foam that I’ll need?

7/07/2022 4:37 PM  #4

As much as the backseat will be used, clean up what you have and recover it. Had one person sit in the backseat o mine in the 10 years i have owned it,

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

7/07/2022 5:28 PM  #5

I reused my old foam with a layer of polyester upholstery padding over it.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/08/2022 10:46 PM  #6

Ok so I dug more into the back seat today and I’ve definitely decided to replace everything minus the frame. Found lots more mice droppings. So got the mask, glasses and gloves on and sprayed everything down with bleach as I took it apart to keep the dust down and just trashed it. Now I’m down to the frame. The good news is the frame is in decent condition not really allot of rust. I’ll touch it up and begin sourcing padding. Has anyone used anything different from burlap to cover the back seat before the padding goes on. I was thinking maybe some Vinyl would work better

7/09/2022 7:49 AM  #7

Burlap is what trim shops use, apparently the foam has to “breathe”
I used it front and back.

7/11/2022 10:31 PM  #8

Alright, I just picked up some foam, cotton batting and burlap. Which me luck. I’ll post my results soon.

7/12/2022 2:36 PM  #9

Just a note, there are different grades of foam ‘density’ used for to adjust the ‘firmness’ for different areas of the seat bottom, sides and back. 

7/12/2022 3:14 PM  #10

Thanks BobE. I’m first tackling the back rest right now and will be doing the lower seat part next. I will keep that in mind. I see what your talking about though already I have my lower bench seat sitting on the top of the car and in the middle there is a separate piece of foam it looks like to give it more rigidity for the hump.

7/19/2022 2:14 PM  #11

Have you watched some of the car resto shows where they show them shaping foam?  Use spray adhesive to add layers for extra thickness, use an electric carving knife for shaping and a sander with 36 or 40 grit flapper wheel for final shaping.

I have used carpet for the base instead of burlap. It is especially effective on the front seats where the springs are stretched.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/05/2022 2:00 AM  #12

Ok guys I finally got my back seats reupholstered. Here is the results.  Overall I’m pretty stoked with how it turned out considering I’ve never don upholstery before. I know it’s not perfect but I’m happy with it.

8/05/2022 7:04 AM  #13

Congratulations, looks good.

8/05/2022 8:23 AM  #14

Great job!

8/05/2022 3:07 PM  #15

Looks great.

Who makes that upholstery?

8/05/2022 5:07 PM  #16

Thanks guys!  The upholstery is from procar by scat. It Matches the front seats I have from them

8/05/2022 5:47 PM  #17

A hair drier or a heat gun, if you are careful, can be used to get the wrinkles out.
Don’t be afraid to use a lot of hog rings, that will reduce the strain on rest.

8/07/2022 8:30 AM  #18

Evan wrote:

Thanks guys!  The upholstery is from procar by scat. It Matches the front seats I have from them

Thanks, definitely nice.
How/where did you purchase?
May have to look into this option for future.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/07/2022 8:31 AM)

8/07/2022 6:39 PM  #19

Looking good. I redid my front seats to match the back. Upholstery takes patience to get it right.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

8/07/2022 11:40 PM  #20

Nos681 wrote:

Evan wrote:

Thanks, definitely nice.
How/where did you purchase?
May have to look into this option for future.

I purchased directly from their website. They also carried them at I think Cj pony parts. But said they were out of order. I called pro car by scat directly and Was told they are even out and behind by 8 weeks. So I figured what the heck I’ll order them. And just wait but they ended up showing up in a week.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.