FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2022 10:43 AM  #1

I just love this, NOT

So my newly built engine (2600 miles so far) has been puffing a little oil out the pipes. Mostly noticed when cold and starting up. I pulled the plugs on the right bank and found oil on the last one and the second one looks like it has been doing a great job at burning the oil. Does this mean valve guides? Im sure this wont go away on its own.
I would postpics but i forgot the name of the program i used. it started with the letter I

Last edited by Cab4word67 (8/09/2022 10:59 AM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/09/2022 11:05 AM  #2

Re: I just love this, NOT

#4 hole

Last edited by Cab4word67 (8/09/2022 11:08 AM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/09/2022 11:07 AM  #3

this #2 hole the others less 4 are clean

8/09/2022 11:09 AM  #4

8/09/2022 1:49 PM  #5

I would say the first picture, #4 hole, the insulator is so clean, it doesn’t appear to me to be burning oil.  The oil on the threads appear to me to be coming from outside the engine, like from a valve cover leak.

The plug from the #2 hole looks to me like that cylinder is burning oil.

The last picture of the plug looks like it may be running a little ‘hot’.

What heat range are you running, and are all the plugs the same? (sorry to ask, but need to be sure they the same)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/09/2022 2:24 PM  #6

I sorta, kinda agree with BobE. The first plug seems to be running clean and the oil on the threads may be from valve cover leak
#2 looks to be running a little rich.
The last picture looks just about right.
Are you sure that it is oil dripping out of the exhaust and not just the condensed water getting blown out.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/10/2022 5:26 AM  #7

What kind of pistons are in the engine (cast, hyper, forged, etc.)?

8/10/2022 7:33 AM  #8

Be sure your PCV valve is not sucking oil. If you do not have a proper valve cover baffle blocking oil mist from getting to the valve, it can cause oil consumption.

I don’t see any issues with those spark plugs.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/10/2022 12:39 PM  #9

MS wrote:

Be sure your PCV valve is not sucking oil. If you do not have a proper valve cover baffle blocking oil must from getting to the valve, it can cause oil consumption.

I had this problem as I had removed the baffles inside my “Cobra” valve covers as the roller rocker arms hit the baffles.  I modified the original baffles to fit and haven’t had issues again.

8/10/2022 7:44 PM  #10

"Move along  folks........nut'in to see here"

95% of the classic car owners WISH they had plugs that looked dat good!
No kidd'in......I vote for PCV suck'in oil (pretty EZ fix)  OR  leaking valve cover.
How much oil is "it using"?!
Kinda oil ya using?.......NOT BRAND (you know my feelings on that)....10W30?...20W50....5W20? synthetic? REAL oil?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/10/2022 10:48 PM  #11

BobE wrote:

MS wrote:

Be sure your PCV valve is not sucking oil. If you do not have a proper valve cover baffle blocking oil must from getting to the valve, it can cause oil consumption.

I had this problem as I had removed the baffles inside my “Cobra” valve covers as the roller rocker arms hit the baffles.  I modified the original baffles to fit and haven’t had issues again.

I did the same to my valve covers that were getting hit by my roller rockers. I pulled out the rivet/screws that held the baffles on and removed some material on the boss that the screws went into to gain some clearance.  I reinstalled the baffles and no noise. I also fabbed up a thin stainless steel baffle that I  installed under the PCV valve so that the valve wasn't sucking oil mist all the time. Needless to say, my oil consumption went way done then.

Last edited by Ron68 (8/10/2022 10:50 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/11/2022 6:53 AM  #12

If I am understanding your description, all are clean except #2….with fresh oil on #4?

I would check valve stem seals on #2, especially if they have rubber umbrellas.
Or intake manifold gasket.
Valve cover on #4.

If it was PCV, I believe you would have oil on other plugs as well, not just one.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/11/2022 6:55 AM)

8/11/2022 10:21 AM  #13

Thanks everyone. Baffles are what come in stock 289 covers. The PCV is a very tiny hole fixed orific and the oil smoke comes out of both pipes all the time, even under acceleration 
Im not sure on heat range of plugs but I think they are 46 autolites all 8

8/11/2022 10:32 AM  #14

How should I go about checking if it is in fact valve seals or could it be rings?
remimber this only has 26oo miles on it

8/11/2022 12:07 PM  #15

Make sure the PVC valve isn’t stuck ‘open’.  The ‘old time’ check was to shake the PVC valve and listen (and feel) it rattle.  I had a car where the PVC valve broke inside and was drawing vacuum, and oil, all the time.  This impacted the car idling (due to higher manifold vacuum) more than at higher RPMs, but maybe something to check. 
Cylinder compression check can identify the bad cylinder(s).
What type valve seals are you using, and do they only have 2600 miles on them?
What is your manifold vacuum at idle?  Could you have sealing issues with the intake manifold to cylinder head?  Leaks at this point can result in oil being sucked into the intake ports from the lifter valley.

8/11/2022 5:00 PM  #16

Yes this is at 260o miles, its new. we have Hyper rings I think, it has 14 vacuum at idle and the motor is tight and runs very well. I the PCV is fixed so it is open always but the hole is less than 1/8" , the car has its original baffles. leaks at the intake I dont think. Remimber I also said I used 2 qts of oil in 1500 miles on the trip. 
I will be doing a full compression test next week when we get back. The shop said they will supply me with new seals. 

Last edited by Cab4word67 (8/11/2022 5:03 PM)

8/11/2022 5:29 PM  #17

I'd ask your engine builder/machine shop if the valve guides were replaced.  Or, if they check them....

8/11/2022 6:24 PM  #18

they were there heads. I think they had sat on a shelf for awhile. I dont know anymore. Should have built a LS for this instead. I have never had as many problems with a build as I have with this build. 

8/11/2022 6:35 PM  #19

Unfortunately for me, my machine shop reworked my GT40P heads but, only a short time later, the valve guides needed replacement.  Upon engine start, my exhaust was emitting blue smoke.
I pulled the heads and another shop replaced worn valve guides.  Now,  no issues.
Not saying this is your exact issue...just sharing my similar experience.

8/11/2022 10:47 PM  #20

Thats what its doing

8/11/2022 11:10 PM  #21

To clarify, my left side was emitting the blue smoke but, I had valve guides replaced on both heads...

Last edited by josh-kebob (8/11/2022 11:11 PM)

8/12/2022 9:38 AM  #22

What type valve seals are you using, the ‘hooded’ type that covers the valve guide boss and moves with the valve?  Or the type that clamps to the valve guide and the valve rides in it?
For me, I’d use the clamp type, although the top of the valve guide needs to be machined to fit these seals.

8/12/2022 9:55 AM  #23

Before I "modified" the baffle in the valve cover(around the PCV)....it sucked oil pretty good and smoked on start up.

Just a thought........you didn't by chance put in a hi-volume/high pressure Oil Pump did you?
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/12/2022 9:38 PM  #24

No just a stock oil pump. And I am guessing the seals are stock but dont know. So if it is at all possible that the PCV is to blame I will pull it and run another  test, so I will do that one first but pretty sure that its not the PCV as I recall I pluged it off and testing once already.  but I think there is more oil then that little hole can pull. 
Next week we are going to pull all plugs, and do some test   record data  

8/13/2022 6:31 AM  #25

Does the exhaust have a crossover (H or X pipe)?  If so I'd expect an issue on the left side to come out the right pipe as well and vice versa.

The simplest way to make sure it isn't the rings is to do a leakdown test.  What type of ring compressor was used to install the pistons?  I now only use a tapered compressor because I found a couple broken rings in an engine that I put together with the one size fits all coffee can type compressor.

If it passes the leakdown test the rings are sound and I'd move to the top end. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.