FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2022 9:08 PM  #1

Electrical test

Have a 65 fastback with a newly rebuilt 5.0 engine and an intermittent short and am trying to rule things out. Tried disconnecting the positive battery cable and removing one fuse at a time as described to me. Then measuring with volt meter from post to disconnected cable to identify leaking circuit. Result was not a 0 volt but a 0.07 volt reading for all cases on any fuse and with them all in. Wondering if anyone has tried same test and what the results were. I am not too worried as have left the car standing for up to 2 months and when I got back it cranked right over. Thanks!

8/18/2022 9:35 PM  #2

Re: Electrical test

You are calling this a "short" but we need a little more info.  Does this condition cause the battery to run down in a short period?  When this occurs does it cause any fuses to blow or smoke to be released from the wiring?  Does it just cause something...headlight, etc, to not function. 
Battery running down is a drain and can be caused by something as simple as a sticking closed hydraulic brake light switch....just ask MS.  Blown fuses are an indication of a real 12V short to ground.  Hot wiring, smoke, melting insulation are indications of a serious short to ground through a circuit that is not fuse protected. 
So.  We have all been down this road one way or another and will help all we can.  But please provide a few more details.

OH, and welcome to the best place on the web. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/19/2022 5:32 AM  #3

Definitely need more info.  The test you are describing is to find a drain on the battery.  A short doesn't cause a drain on the battery; a short causes something to stop working or blows a fuse.  It sounds like there is no abnormal battery drain.  The small loss you are seeing could be a lot of things.  Anything that is connected to a yellow wire (hot all the time) can cause that.  The typical cause is the KAM (keep alive memory) in things like a stereo or ECM.  This is normal, and so long as the car will start after its sat for a while isn't considered an issue. 

8/19/2022 9:03 AM  #4

Along with the brake light switch (this issue is more prevalent on the ‘pressure’ type brake switch mounted on the master cylinder), check to see if the glovebox light is off with the door closed, if you have a new radio with ‘pre-set’ stations and/or clock, power is always ‘on’ and will always draw some power.

If you’ve left the car for two months and don’t have issues starting, why do you think you have a problem?
How old is the battery?  And, what is the battery voltage when you leave setting for a few days?

Is an alternator and generator installed?  Either way there could be something with the voltage regulator.

Just a note; there are voltmeters that fit into the cigarette lighter that can be purchased for under $15 from Amazon.  I checked the one I purchased against my Fluke meter and it was within a tenth of a volt.  It’s a easy way to check things out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/20/2022 2:30 PM  #5

.07 volts is nothing maybe static charge. If you had a short you would measure full battery voltage from post to cable, just like measuring voltage across an open switch. Your going to read nothing unless you have something turned on such as fan motor, then you will see full battery voltage until you remove that fuse, I'm kinda with the others, not sure what you are trying to test.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/20/2022 3:28 PM  #6

Thank you all! The answer I was looking for is that this test is to find a battery drain and that the 0.07 volt draw is nothing to worry about. I should have said I have two and probably more electrical problems. I wanted to find out if the 0.07 was enough to be a problem. Got that answer. I also have a short that only happens when I remove or replace my instrument panel and that does blow the fuse and melts the headlight switch. I have replaced it 3 time already. Not cheap at $20 a pop. MS has wisely said quit fooling with it and leave it alone. I get around that problem by removing or replacing the instrument panel only with the battery disconnected. Again, thank you all for providing the answer. Too small to worry about and what that test if for. 

8/20/2022 6:19 PM  #7

Removing the negative battery cable is a wise move almost anytime you are working under the hood or dash, and sometimes other places.  But please be advised, always remove the negative cable from the battery.  years ago when I was a wee tot I worked in a Sears store on what they called the "Battery Line".  We did all manner of automobile electrical stuff there.  The first thing the old timers taught me to to always remove the negative cable first and replace it last.  You only need to see the result of having a wrench contact the positive cable and ground while the negative cable is connected to understand why this is smart.  I have actually seen batteries that have blown off the caps and blown acid all over everything when suffering a sustained short to ground and you do not want to see that.

Good luck with your Mustang, Jose

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/20/2022 7:23 PM  #8

I learned many years ago that a gold wedding ring makes an excellent electrical conductor, always removed the battery ground after that when working around electrics.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/20/2022 7:58 PM  #9

As for the .7 volt you read.  I agree totally with Walt...it's nothing.  I've seen way more than that with both cables removed.....very dirty battery leaking voltage across the top, post to post.

8/20/2022 9:09 PM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

As for the .7 volt you read.  I agree totally with Walt...it's nothing.  I've seen way more than that with both cables removed.....very dirty battery leaking voltage across the top, post to post.

It was only 0.07 volts, not 0.7 volts.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/20/2022 9:13 PM  #11

Well, that could run the battery down....in about four years.

8/21/2022 6:17 AM  #12

On the short it sounds to me like there is a constant power wire (yellow most likely) that is making contact with a ground as you install the instrument panel.  There must be a spot in the insulation that is cracked or missing.  I'd think by now you'd be able to see evidence of it arcing. 

These guys are spot on, anytime you mess with anything electrical first order is to remove the ground cable from the battery. 

BB, my grandfather used to call a wrench a Bahamian battery tester.  You see some stuff after spending a lot of time on a tiny island...

8/21/2022 8:28 AM  #13

TKOPerformance wrote:

BB, my grandfather used to call a wrench a Bahamian battery tester.  You see some stuff after spending a lot of time on a tiny island...

LOL!  That's too funny, Tom....except the results can be not so funny. I've seen some old guys "spark" a battery too.  My friend has a Spool Gun that's made to run off of a car battery.  That ought to tell you what kind of current they can deliver.

8/21/2022 9:50 AM  #14

Jose – I’m curious, which fuse are you blowing?  The headlight switch is not fuse protected; it is directly wired to the battery via the Black/Orange (#25) wire that is spliced to the Black/Yellow wire (#37), that goes to the fuse panel, and gets 12v power from the starter solenoid. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/21/2022 3:58 PM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

LOL!  That's too funny, Tom....except the results can be not so funny. I've seen some old guys "spark" a battery too.  My friend has a Spool Gun that's made to run off of a car battery.  That ought to tell you what kind of current they can deliver.

Oh, I welded a bracket back to a frame on a Jeep in the middle of the woods with a pair of jumper cables and a couple welding rods.  No amperage control, but with the right technique it worked good enough that I'm pretty sure its still like that close to 20 years later!

Another great one from the Bahamas was road patch: sand mixed with used oil from the generator station.  With no concern about freezing it actually worked pretty well.  I think there was one spot where they made a road by just folding used oil into the soil and rolling it.  The crunchy granola people would turn white if they saw that!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.