FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2022 4:26 PM  #1

Rag joint to u joint?

Hey everyone I have a 66 mustang with 302 v8 and mustang at Steve cable clutch conversion and borgeson set up with a collapsible column from a 69 mustang. I currently have a borgeson rag joint installed and when I went to take the car out recently I noticed my steering wheel was moving up and down when I went to adjust my seat. I pulled back into the garage and looked under the hood and it looks like the rag joint lost a bolt and nut. So instead of re doing it. I’ve just picked up a u joint from borgeson.

Has anyone went from a rag joint to u joint with a borgeson. I assume it’s the same install as a rag joint but it will just be the u joint. Any help is appreciated.

8/18/2022 7:15 PM  #2

Re: Rag joint to u joint?

Is the 69 column you're using a stock set up? If it is, my understanding is the borgesen  u joint is designed for use with their splined steering shaft. The u joint fits in the shaft splines and the steering box splines.

Seems like you're making too much work for yourself and additional expense if all you needed to fix your problem was a nut and bolt for the rag joint.

8/18/2022 8:32 PM  #3

The problem with all borgeson rag joints is they use straight shaft bolts instead of shouldered bolts like Ford used. With a shouldered bolt, you can torque the nut against the shoulder and it will lightly compress the rag joint and will remain torqued.
With a straight bolt, you tighten it against a rubber part that compresses, and then it works loose, I don’t care how many lock washers they provide with it.
The solution is to use the bolts from a Ford rag joint so they do not come loose.
You CAN use the race car inspired u-joint but NVH will increase dramatically.

The borgeson rag joint connections are a joke. I disassembled my original 69 rag joint to get the bolts, nuts and the factory formed capture washers. Using those parts, the borgeson rag joint can work just as well as an original.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/19/2022 5:25 AM  #4

"NVH" ?

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/19/2022 5:55 AM  #5

N - Noise; V - Vibration; H - Harshness.  Car manufacturer's actually have engineers who only deal with those subjects. Butt (TS&T), back to the problem at hand.  You might try using Nyloc nuts on those rag joint bolts.  Maybe with a little blue Loctite also.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/19/2022 10:44 AM  #6

"TS&T" ?

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/19/2022 11:25 AM  #7

You gotta come to a Bash to find out about TS&T.  Nothing nasty, just stupid, silly, ridiculous.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/19/2022 12:08 PM  #8

Ford specifically built NVH into 60’s - 70’s Mustangs. We have been trying to get them out ever since.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/19/2022 1:58 PM  #9

Rudi wrote:

Ford specifically built NVH into 60’s - 70’s Mustangs. We have been trying to get them out ever since.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/19/2022 3:07 PM  #10

Evan wrote:

Hey everyone I have a 66 mustang with 302 v8 and mustang at Steve cable clutch conversion and borgeson set up with a collapsible column from a 69 mustang. I currently have a borgeson rag joint installed and when I went to take the car out recently I noticed my steering wheel was moving up and down when I went to adjust my seat. I pulled back into the garage and looked under the hood and it looks like the rag joint lost a bolt and nut. So instead of re doing it. I’ve just picked up a u joint from borgeson.

Has anyone went from a rag joint to u joint with a borgeson. I assume it’s the same install as a rag joint but it will just be the u joint. Any help is appreciated.

Good luck finding the appropriate size u-joint. They make the correct spline 11/16" 36 spline if I remember correctly. I own a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe. 289 c4 automatic with MS powerbrakes, 2013 GT brakes, ms Lower bearing kit.  I never liked the looks of The Borgeson floor mount for the conversion I made/bought this floor mount for my steering column also includes a MS lower bearing kit. Using a ujount will be tight as can be on clearance with the firewall.

I will post photo of engine bay with box installed with u joint I may go with a solid joint for the set up instead borgeson sells them and last I looked were clearance I need one.

8/20/2022 6:29 AM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

N - Noise; V - Vibration; H - Harshness.  Car manufacturer's actually have engineers who only deal with those subjects. Butt (TS&T), back to the problem at hand.  You might try using Nyloc nuts on those rag joint bolts.  Maybe with a little blue Loctite also.

These are the guys responsible for those weights hanging off the trans, rearend, etc.  Also the rubber bushings in an otherwise decent shifter design.  More recently I think they've been responsible for essentially destroying drvirers' cars. 

On the nuts, I'd go with all metal locknuts on this due to the procximity to the exhaust, especially if you have headers.  I love Nylocks, but they don't handle heat well.  Nylon eventually becomes brittle. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (8/20/2022 6:30 AM)

8/20/2022 7:32 AM  #12

For close proximity to exhaust system, I would suggest a distorted thread flange nut.

All metal nut like TKO suggested.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/20/2022 7:34 AM)

8/20/2022 8:03 AM  #13

Most threads are distorted once I use them.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/20/2022 9:10 AM  #14

You can buy shoulder bolts. They are the only correct way to do this connection. A bolt that is onlybtightened against a piece of rubber is going to get loose.   Period

8/20/2022 9:12 AM  #15

Borgeson on a 69 using factory shoulder bolts

8/20/2022 9:22 AM  #16

Borgeson on Jose’s 65 using MustangSteve bearing kit. Also notice the PVC spacer I made to make the ill-fitting borgeson lower bearing seal fit tighter.  It amazes me that with the great product borgeson has, they scrimp and provide junk like the bolts, firewall brace that doesn’t work, a plastic lower bearing for the column and the loose/not fitting lower bearing seal at the pitman arm. All four issues are easy fixes. Don’t get me started on their hose fitment….

Bolts: Buy shoulder bolts so the nut can be torqued against the bolt’s shoulder. Use loctite and large OD washers if you cannot get shoulder bolts. This is a serious safety issue borgeson should address.

Firewall brace:  Weld 1” long extensions to the three fingers that are originally too short to clamp anything, then attach to the firewall with 1/4” bolts and a worm-gear radiator hose clamp around the column and longer three fingers.

Plastic column bushing:  Replace with MustangSteve bearing kit.

Lower Seal:  Place a section of PVC pipe (or guys like Rudi machine something) to take up the slack and it will compress the seal, keeping out dirt.

8/22/2022 12:23 AM  #17

MS outstanding work. Do you mind me asking what you used for a steering column to firewall seal?

8/24/2022 4:23 PM  #18

Wow hey guys thank you for all the replies. I appreciate it. I was out sick for a little bit. But now am back at it. I was able to get out and take a look at it today and this is what it looks like.

Definetley  missing that washer and nut from the top. I haven’t opened the u joint so I could always send it back.  But now that I’m looking more into this. It looks like it’s not even on correctly. I was reading on some borgeson instructions for a rag joint and it says it needs to be pretty much just about right up to the bottom of the steering column. Which o don’t think I can get any closer as it’s already really close to the fire wall.   And also from what I found it said. Not to tighten the lock but on the section that has the groove on the steering box. Where it looks like mine is.

I don’t know if I have enough steering shaft from my column  to get it past that groove. If I recall it is collapsible so I may be able to pull a little more out. But I’ll have to see.

8/24/2022 6:34 PM  #19

True74yamaha wrote:

MS outstanding work. Do you mind me asking what you used for a steering column to firewall seal?

Press-tape.  That black icky-sticky tape they use on air-conditioning fittings

8/24/2022 6:38 PM  #20

Evan wrote:

Wow hey guys thank you for all the replies. I appreciate it. I was out sick for a little bit. But now am back at it. I was able to get out and take a look at it today and this is what it looks like.

Definetley  missing that washer and nut from the top. I haven’t opened the u joint so I could always send it back.  But now that I’m looking more into this. It looks like it’s not even on correctly. I was reading on some borgeson instructions for a rag joint and it says it needs to be pretty much just about right up to the bottom of the steering column. Which o don’t think I can get any closer as it’s already really close to the fire wall.   And also from what I found it said. Not to tighten the lock but on the section that has the groove on the steering box. Where it looks like mine is.

I don’t know if I have enough steering shaft from my column  to get it past that groove. If I recall it is collapsible so I may be able to pull a little more out. But I’ll have to see.

Looks wrong, like the metal might bind on the firewall and fitting is not all the way down on the splined shaft.

8/24/2022 6:41 PM  #21

Should be all the way up against the top of the box, no shaft showing

8/24/2022 8:38 PM  #22

Ok I think I got it squared away. I was able to extend my steering shaft to where the rag joint is right up against the steering box like you showed. I then pulled it back and got a file and dremel and put a little bit of a flat spot on the shaft and set the set screw with lock tight and the lock nut. I then pulled out the stud that was missing the washer and bolt and was able to find one in my extra bolts and nuts I have.  I put the new washer on and put lock tight on the nut and tightend it up as much as I could.  It got to a point where it would just turn. I put a pair of needle nose plyers on the stud to try and hold it but it didn’t work that well.

I checked the steering wheel and it doesn’t budge now up or down. It’s allot more solid than it was.
Also my horn works like it should now too so I’ll take that.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.