FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2022 8:41 PM  #1

In tank fuel pump

Here’s an option if your gas tank is fairly new or  in good condition.

Spectra has 16, 20, and 22 gallon efi tanks.

Holley has 12-305

Thought this might help someone.
I have the Spectra 22 gallon tank in the’65.

8/24/2022 9:22 PM  #2

Re: In tank fuel pump

I can’t speak for the spectra one, but I have the Holley one with my sniper and it’s awesome.

8/25/2022 6:06 AM  #3

Hopefully those tanks employ a sump around the pump.  If not I see that pump living a very short life due to how much the fuel sloshes in those unbaffled tanks.  In tank pumps need fuel for cooling and lubrication, so don't run them low or out of fuel. 

8/25/2022 6:21 AM  #4

I've been running an external Walbro pump drawing from a stock tank for about 40K miles.  I made a minor mod to the stock fuel pickup to use an EFI type pick-up sock filter.  These fine mesh filters are designed to skim over and prevent air from being drawn in due to sloshing (this tech started with chain saws, I believe).  The tank is stock 22 gal and I have run it down to three or four gallons a number of times and have never had any indication of fuel starvation or pump trouble.  But then I have also never been involved in spirited driving with only three or four gallons on board.
The Walbro pump is a Fox 5.0 155 lph replacement and is designed to run internally or externally.
Just sayin', it's an option.  But I gotta say, internal pump and the new tank for under $400 is a pretty good price, thanks LT, but it didn't exist when I did the Heap 15 years ago.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/25/2022 9:03 AM  #5

My Spectra 22 efi tank has both.

Tanks Inc was another consideration when I was planning my conversion.

Best part I like, no fuel lines on top of tank to get hit by tools, luggage, or spare tire.

Having over 400 mile range is enough to give me options to fill up when I want.

This can also be an option for a carb with an appropriate regulator of course.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/25/2022 9:06 AM)

8/25/2022 9:46 AM  #6

I am considering the same fuel pump, but my car is carbureted. The fuel pump in the photo has no provision for a return line and provides 58 psi of fuel pressure. Are you going to install a return line and regulator? 

8/25/2022 10:27 AM  #7

boss347convertible wrote:

I am considering the same fuel pump, but my car is carbureted. The fuel pump in the photo has no provision for a return line and provides 58 psi of fuel pressure. Are you going to install a return line and regulator? 

I just looked at the photo of the Holley pump closely and it does in deed have a return line. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/25/2022 10:42 AM  #8

You are correct. I looked at the model set up for a return less system. I also found this model which the literature states is internally regulated: Holley 12-305 EFI In-Tank Fuel Pump Module 255 Lph OE Mustang 65-70 (cjponyparts.com)

8/25/2022 11:16 AM  #9

BB  What brand / style filter did you use for fuel pickup?

8/25/2022 11:18 AM  #10

BB What brand / style filter did you use for fuel pickup?

8/25/2022 2:35 PM  #11

Airtex FS130.  I requires a bit of adapting to attach to the fuel pickup tube.  It's similar to the one Holley shows in that ad.   I made a little adaptor to connect the sock to a piece of alky-safe neoprene that connects to the tube.  This allows the sock to lay flat on the bottom of the tank.
Someone suggested that might not be the best due to the possibility of sucking up any water in the tank....true, I guess but so far it has not been an issue.
You may want to find one that will connect to the tube easier than having to make an adapter.
Say Hey to Jacque for us, hope we get to see you again some day.

8/26/2022 5:19 AM  #12

boss347convertible wrote:

WAY too much pressure for a carb application.  You could reduce it down to carb pressure levels with a regulator, but the pump will live a short life from operating against so much restriction.  EFI and carb fuel pumps are very different animals.  Carbs are only going to take 5 or so psi before you blow the needle off the seat and fuel starts pouring into the engine.  EFI is going to be in the 40-60psi range or the injectors won't work properly.  That pressure difference is why you can make 500+HP with only a 5/16 line on an EFI engine, but would need a 3/8 line to make that kind of power with a carb (and most racers are running 1/2" at that level and beyond). 

There may be carb compatible in tank pump.  I know GM had applications that were carbed, but had in tank pumps before everything went to EFI (trucks and F bodies come to mind where there were EFI and carb options for the same vehicle during the same model year).  IME an in tank pump is an in tank pump.  You may need to do some work to get it to fit onto the sender, but its generally not that big a deal.

8/26/2022 7:06 AM  #13

As I recall, late 80’s to early 90’s GM trucks had a low pressure in tank pump.

Ford had them too.

8/26/2022 12:01 PM  #14

Nos681 wrote:

My Spectra 22 efi tank has both.

Tanks Inc was another consideration when I was planning my conversion.

Best part I like, no fuel lines on top of tank to get hit by tools, luggage, or spare tire.

Having over 400 mile range is enough to give me options to fill up when I want.

This can also be an option for a carb with an appropriate regulator of course.

Great info and price.  What tank fill pipe did you use?  I understand the angle of the tank outlets on the 69 & 70 tanks is different enough to cause problems aligning with the 65 fill pipe.
Also, where there any issues with the Spectra tank fuel level sending unit not working with the 65 fuel level gauge? 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/26/2022 2:39 PM  #15

I shortened my stock 65 filler neck a little.
The top edge as viewed from bumper needs to bend downward.  When you set tank and filler in, it is obvious.

I don’t weld…could cut out pie slices to get correct angle as needed. A muffler shop could tackle this as an option. Or modify as needed and have it welded.

Might be able to bend it on a shop press after filling full of sand and blocking ends off.

They are now made for 65/66’s with a 22 gallon tank.

My longest trip back in the mid 90’s was from Oakland to Lemoore California.  Carb wasn’t tuned completely right…I was still learning…I was lucky to make  200 miles on the 16 gallon tank…keeping with flow of traffic on I5.

The 69 tank (20 gallon) is about a 1/4” shorter than the 70 tank (22 gallon).

When I swapped to Efi, I already had a 22 gallon tank.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/26/2022 2:48 PM)

8/27/2022 6:32 AM  #16

Nos681 wrote:

I shortened my stock 65 filler neck a little.
The top edge as viewed from bumper needs to bend downward. When you set tank and filler in, it is obvious.

I don’t weld…could cut out pie slices to get correct angle as needed. A muffler shop could tackle this as an option. Or modify as needed and have it welded.

Might be able to bend it on a shop press after filling full of sand and blocking ends off.

They are now made for 65/66’s with a 22 gallon tank.

My longest trip back in the mid 90’s was from Oakland to Lemoore California. Carb wasn’t tuned completely right…I was still learning…I was lucky to make 200 miles on the 16 gallon tank…keeping with flow of traffic on I5.

The 69 tank (20 gallon) is about a 1/4” shorter than the 70 tank (22 gallon).

When I swapped to Efi, I already had a 22 gallon tank.

To bend it you'd need mandrels to avoid kinking it.  Your best bet is to pie cut it as needed and then get it welded.

8/28/2022 9:53 AM  #17

Fuel filler neck/pipe is made for this conversion.

Some pictures of my 1970 efi gas tank (22 gallon).

8/28/2022 5:18 PM  #18

Nice, and much preferable to a bunch of stuff running through the trunk. 

8/28/2022 10:16 PM  #19

I did the Holley on my 65 w/16gal like new tank and have had ZERO problems, even ran low once because I missed the exit (14.8 at fill up) no problems.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/29/2022 9:09 AM  #20

Nos681 wrote:

Fuel filler neck/pipe is made for this conversion.

Some pictures of my 1970 efi gas tank (22 gallon).

Am I seeing correctly, are both supply and return lines are going to the filter?
If so, what kind of filter is this? 

8/29/2022 7:30 PM  #21

Looks like the Return is going behind the filter. And, that is not the Holley fuel pump assembly, it is the SpectraPremium assembly that comes with the tank. I have the Tank Inc. setup on my 1966. It does NOT have a drain plug and the connections are made inside the trunk. I may replace mine with this tank. Looks a lot cleaner! I Don't see a Vent though! Anybody know how you would vent this tank?

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

8/29/2022 9:37 PM  #22

The return line is tucked above/behind supply line and filter.

This is the Spectra Premium 1970 Mustang EFI 22 gallon tank.

The original fuel line was cleaned out and capped at both ends.
Both supply and return lines are 5/16” nylon fuel lines.
Both run to RH side of engine compartment similar to Foxbody routing.
Both have appropriately size spring lock connectors to connect to factory hard-lines in engine compartment to Foxbody fuel rail.

Inertia cutoff/safety switch (Ford). Mounted similar in location to Foxbody setup

Original 65 filler neck/pipe. Original gas cap has a thin paper gasket (made a replacement many years ago off original).

I had heard of others adding an additional vent due to ballooning their tank.
I have checked occasionally and no signs of deformation to the tank.
Perhaps the thin gasket and the brass tension ring allows mine to vent.

I would add a bung to the filler neck/pipe
After it’s installed, add fitting/vent hose and route as needed to a charcoal canister located in drop down portion of trunk on RH (passenger) side of car.
Purge solenoid could be located in factory location near engine (Foxbody) or by canister if desired (more wiring involved).
I believe the later model Mustangs have purge solenoid near the rear of car.

IMPORTANT NOTE…just remembered:

I relocated 2 of the wires in the provided wiring harness. The numbers 14 & 18 in the picture refer to wire gauge size. I wanted 14 gauge wires feeding my fuel pump.  I am using the EECIV fuel pump relay to feed the pump with the ECM.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/30/2022 4:59 AM)

8/30/2022 1:35 PM  #23

Well that picture clears it up!  Thank you.

The venting for the gas tanks in the days these cars were built was through the gas caps ... although California may have had different regulations.

It would be good to verify how the charcoal cannister vents itself before installing it in the trunk, you wouldn’t want any gas fumes not absorbed by the cannister collecting in the trunk.  If I’m remembering correctly, when the charcoal cannisters were first used, they were mounted under the hood and had a vacuum line into the manifold (or carburetor) to draw the fumes out of the cannister.

8/30/2022 10:39 PM  #24

Canister would be on exterior.

My 92 had it located in engine compartment under air filter housing (RH side along frame rail above sway bar).
Some of the later models had a smaller canister…think it was in passenger fender near door pillar protected by inner plastic fender liner.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.