FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2022 2:01 PM  #1

Bash Thrash monster just bit me. Should still make it.

Took car into local place in Rockwall. Excellent mechanic works there. He is a front-end alignment guru. I was going to have him raise the front end and bring the camber out a bit to get rid of the lean. He called me over after ten minutes and showed me what he found. The Fatman front end bracket that holds the rack and pinion onto the K-Member had snapped off on one side. Allowing the steering to have some slop in the turns. This is what I was experiencing. So now I have to partially remove the rack and pinion and see if there is enough room for me to weld this bracket back on. Then bulk it up somehow. 

8/30/2022 2:36 PM  #2

Re: Bash Thrash monster just bit me. Should still make it.

I think Mr. Fatman and I would be having a talk.  I hate hearing crap like this.
BB1.  Get there safe but get there, Ed. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/30/2022 5:47 PM  #3

That sucks but better to find it now than 1/2 way to Illinois!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/30/2022 8:10 PM  #4

I was able to get the rack and pinion pulled and out of the way. 3 hour jigsaw puzzle. Got the area cleaned up. Will work on removing the paint and getting all the metal bits prepped for welding. This is in a very awkward welding position, and I may have to use a mirror to watch were my Mig probe is welding. 

8/31/2022 4:45 AM  #5

Whew, that was close.
Glad ya found it now.
I’m sure you’ll make it better than new.

8/31/2022 9:57 AM  #6

Hmm... does it use a Mustang  II  steering rack? I've never seen a rack mounted that way.  If it's not a MII rack, pillow blocks securing the tube would be worth looking into. While searching for info on Fatman's products, I did find your not the first to have this problem.

Last edited by Bearing Bob (8/31/2022 10:00 AM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/31/2022 11:40 AM  #7

Mochaman wrote:

I was able to get the rack and pinion pulled and out of the way. 3 hour jigsaw puzzle. Got the area cleaned up. Will work on removing the paint and getting all the metal bits prepped for welding. This is in a very awkward welding position, and I may have to use a mirror to watch were my Mig probe is welding. 

To me it looks like the tubing weld seam on the clamp broke, they should have used CD seamless tubing or billet clamps.
The clamping tabs welds also are less than impressive.
Is the thread end of the clamping bolt mushroomed or just dirty, if t is mashed it will damage the threaded hole when unscrewed.
Just sayin!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/31/2022 12:38 PM  #8

Dirty. This is before I cleaned everything up. Holes aren't threaded. Bolt, washer and nut hold this together. I plan on reattaching this broken part, then adding some extra metal to reinforce it. 

8/31/2022 1:36 PM  #9

Be sure to grind a V where the weld will be placed so you get 100% penetration.

That sure looks like a flimsy mess of a bracket.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/31/2022 3:28 PM  #10

You probably did this already, but just reminding you to check the bracket on the other side, and any other welds that were made.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/31/2022 5:05 PM  #11

Rudi wrote:

Mochaman wrote:

To me it looks like the tubing weld seam on the clamp broke, they should have used CD seamless tubing or billet clamps.
The clamping tabs welds also are less than impressive.
Is the thread end of the clamping bolt mushroomed or just dirty, if t is mashed it will damage the threaded hole when unscrewed.
Just sayin!

I was thinking maybe take those broke ones to a welding shop and have them make them out of  a little stronger metal. not sure what is made out of now.   i beleive I wouldcontact Fatmans too and show them the pictures and tell them what happened.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (8/31/2022 11:03 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/31/2022 10:01 PM  #12

In most cases stainless isn't as strong as carbon steel.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/01/2022 8:09 AM  #13

Shnikies. I ditto the better now than halfway to Illinois.  Definitely want good penetration on the weld.  Crank that welder voltage up and go to town!

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

9/01/2022 8:23 AM  #14

That bracket is way under designed. I would make one from 3/16” steel at the very least. The point where the bolt hole brackets attach to the clamp material are especially weak. I am surprised it did not break there long ago.

The brackets on the TCP rack are 1/4” thick

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/01/2022 9:50 AM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

In most cases stainless isn't as strong as carbon steel.

yeah . . . . . but it sure do shine up nice and purdy. 

9/01/2022 10:00 AM  #16

Bullet Bob wrote:

I think Mr. Fatman and I would be having a talk.  I hate hearing crap like this.
BB1.  Get there safe but get there, Ed. 

True dat Bob!
My rad (realisticly un needed) overflow tank has more substantial brackets.

9/01/2022 1:41 PM  #17

It bit me too the car should still make it went for alignment needed upper control to get correct camber led to new spindles and possibly a borgeson steering box. Lmbo had fast shipping from Summit next day and Parts were cheaper than borgeson .Still waiting for Mustang Steve bearing for steering shaft Should be here tomorrow .I installed  1 inch sway bar upper control arm KYB shocks and spindles And best part I saved money because I did not bet Felicia that I would not be working on the car 2 weeks before the bash LMBO . Had to hunt down 5.0 PS pump brackets They won’t be in but borrowed some until they make it. I have always had a bash thrash Last time I bet Felicia I lost she bought a new house not doing that again Let the thrash begin Praying all is well with everyone 

9/01/2022 9:15 PM  #18

Coupedaddy wrote:

It bit me too the car should still make it went for alignment needed upper control to get correct camber led to new spindles and possibly a borgeson steering box. Lmbo had fast shipping from Summit next day and Parts were cheaper than borgeson .Still waiting for Mustang Steve bearing for steering shaft Should be here tomorrow .I installed  1 inch sway bar upper control arm KYB shocks and spindles And best part I saved money because I did not bet Felicia that I would not be working on the car 2 weeks before the bash LMBO . Had to hunt down 5.0 PS pump brackets They won’t be in but borrowed some until they make it. I have always had a bash thrash Last time I bet Felicia I lost she bought a new house not doing that again Let the thrash begin Praying all is well with everyone 

You’re betting stakes are way too high. Keep it to dinner out at the winners choosing.

9/02/2022 7:58 AM  #19

Coupe, if you are trying for max caster and have a big stack of shims under the UCA be sure to check the nuts often.  As you may recall, I had a case of loose nuts on the UCA on the road to FWB in '17.  Not fun! And downright dangerous.  So be reminded, check those UCA nuts.

9/02/2022 9:50 PM  #20

The bet was for getting new floors well I  didn’t know the new floors was on a new slab came with a new roof and walls with a new address LMBO

9/03/2022 6:59 AM  #21

Coupedaddy wrote:

The bet was for getting new floors well I  didn’t know the new floors was on a new slab came with a new roof and walls with a new address LMBO

😂😂😂

9/03/2022 2:40 PM  #22

You can see where the two tabs (where the bolt goes through) is under cut pretty bad. Typical  9 yr. old china man welds!
Caused from moving too fast and not letting the weld puddle fill out. It just burnt the durn corners off and weakened the whole piece.
I hate how most of this stuff is just 'slung-together' as fast and cheaply as possible.....grrrrrrrrrrr
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/03/2022 7:12 PM  #23

6sally6 wrote:

You can see where the two tabs (where the bolt goes through) is under cut pretty bad. Typical  9 yr. old china man welds!
Caused from moving too fast and not letting the weld puddle fill out. It just burnt the durn corners off and weakened the whole piece.
I hate how most of this stuff is just 'slung-together' as fast and cheaply as possible.....grrrrrrrrrrr
6sally6

While true, it didn't break at the weld.

9/03/2022 7:13 PM  #24

Coupedaddy wrote:

High freaking Larrious!

9/04/2022 11:11 AM  #25

Well….it looks like the Monster found me too Ed.

Rear axle shaft seal, found seepage of gear oil on wheel while rotating tires last night.

Appears that it made it past the metal seal portion, the rubber and spring were fine.
Ultra Gray will be used this time.

I like this Ultra Gray stuff.

Last edited by Nos681 (9/04/2022 11:12 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.