FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2022 4:57 AM  #1

Gathering parts for later…..

What would be best 8.8 rear for me to collect for now planning on narrowing it to fit my 65 later. I say 8.8 because they seem to be more plentiful. I have rear disc brakes from a 2004 Mustang now so was thinking maybe look for a low milage 2004 or so GT with some 3:27 or 3:55 gears would be a good start then narrow it to 64-66 specs and add the spring perches.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (9/16/2022 11:37 AM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

9/16/2022 2:09 PM  #2

Re: Gathering parts for later…..

I understand getting an 8.8 rear from an Explorer is the way to go.  Many Explorers can be found in wrecking yards, they come with disc brakes, many have 3.73 gears and a posi.  You will have to narrow the rear. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/16/2022 2:25 PM  #3

BobE wrote:

I understand getting an 8.8 rear from an Explorer is the way to go.  Many Explorers can be found in wrecking yards, they come with disc brakes, many have 3.73 gears and a posi.  You will have to narrow the rear. 

I don't want any lower than a 3;55

9/16/2022 8:37 PM  #4

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Go to the Pick & Pull and look for a '95 or later Explorer with an Axle code of D5 on the driver's door tag. That is a 3.55 Traction-Lok 8.8" disc brake rear end.

9/20/2022 2:53 PM  #5

Texas! wrote:

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Go to the Pick & Pull and look for a '95 or later Explorer with an Axle code of D5 on the driver's door tag. That is a 3.55 Traction-Lok 8.8" disc brake rear end.

Sounds good

9/20/2022 5:15 PM  #6

Another benefit of the Explorer rear is that it already has 31 spline axles.  While you are at the PNP, grab another short side axle from another explorer rear, as you want to shorten the long tube down to the short tube length, which makes the extra short axle fit perfect.

My experience:  I narrowed an explorer rear that had 3:73's in it, but at the existing mileage on the rear, the traction lock had exceeded its useful life and needed new clutches, etc.

Another note:  At my local PNP, if you tell them you don't want or need a warranty on the used part, it gets heavily discounted.  I paid $75 for the explorer rear, and $25 for the extra axle. (about 8 or 9 years ago).

9/21/2022 8:46 AM  #7

TimC wrote:

Another benefit of the Explorer rear is that it already has 31 spline axles.  While you are at the PNP, grab another short side axle from another explorer rear, as you want to shorten the long tube down to the short tube length, which makes the extra short axle fit perfect.

My experience:  I narrowed an explorer rear that had 3:73's in it, but at the existing mileage on the rear, the traction lock had exceeded its useful life and needed new clutches, etc.

Another note:  At my local PNP, if you tell them you don't want or need a warranty on the used part, it gets heavily discounted.  I paid $75 for the explorer rear, and $25 for the extra axle. (about 8 or 9 years ago).

Thats what my son did with his explorer axle for his 68 mustang. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.