FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2022 1:11 AM  #26

Re: Stereo What are y’all using

Hi Billy, 

Good to see that you fixed your big cap issue, took a long time !

Do yourself a good, DON'T cut your dash!

If your radio is in working condition you can easly swap in a bluetooth module and listen to mono music.
If a stereo is prefered, Aurora is very good or you do what I do over here, grab a modern stereo and put it in the stock radio box. 65-66 is a little tricky but doable. For 67-70 I 3d printed a faceplate (which is not visible ones installed) and put a modern stereo behind it. Looks 90% stock till you switch it on.

Mustsed

4/03/2022 9:09 AM  #27

I wouldn't cut the dash.  It will devalue your car.  Use an R code blocking plate to cover the hole in your dash; that's what I did.

Mount your after market radio in a console; that's what I did. I copied Glen and Steve Buzek.  They have all the details.

Chime in with them.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

4/04/2022 10:58 PM  #28

Billy I to almost cut my 65 dash then I discovered Sony. They have Marine decks with massisve amperage built in and patch cords for more amps if needed. I put mine in the trunk and drive the stock remote with a cheap TV remote repeater under the dash. They use these things so you can put all your TV stuff in the closet. Found mine on Amazon for 10 bucks. Also the Sonys use your phone or a old spare one like I do to tune, adjust sound everything the deck does and has a complete listing of all my tunes to scroll thru. Works great. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/05/2022 4:52 AM  #29

4/07/2022 10:43 PM  #30

Yeah I am coming closer to cutting the dash... it aint no worse than me cutting the core support out to put my new 24 inch radiator in....they look so much better than the dinky factory radiator.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/07/2022 11:52 PM  #31

4/08/2022 4:39 AM  #32

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

Yeah I am coming closer to cutting the dash... it aint no worse than me cutting the core support out to put my new 24 inch radiator in....they look so much better than the dinky factory radiator.

I'm honestly not sure how much this devalues the car, if at all.  The wisdom 20 years ago was that the closer the car was to stock the more desirable, but that really no longer seems the case unless the car is something rare (Boss302, Shelby, etc.).  Nowadays people want to drive these cars so the more driveable they are the more desirable it seems.  I'm also betting that very few of us do things to our car based on what its going to do to the resale value.  My car is mine.  I really don't care what its worth to someone else.  When I die it will go to one of my kids, who I'm betting also won't care what its worth to someone else. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (4/09/2022 5:05 AM)

4/08/2022 7:48 AM  #33

Billy – with all the changes I’ve made to my Mustang, keeping it original is not a concern of mine.  I recently cut my dash to install a single-DIN radio.  I made the cut with my pneumatic die grinder, took my time and am pleased with the results.
I have your email address and will send several photos. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/08/2022 2:49 PM  #34

If you want to cut your dash, cut it.  The metal could always be restored back in the future if a future owner was so inclined.  Once you have a single DIN hole, I'm sure you would always keep it filled with a single DIN head unit.  So no worries.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

4/09/2022 9:26 AM  #35

Rufus68 wrote:

If you want to cut your dash, cut it.  The metal could always be restored back in the future if a future owner was so inclined.  Once you have a single DIN hole, I'm sure you would always keep it filled with a single DIN head unit.  So no worries.

I agree.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/10/2022 12:58 AM  #36

TKOPerformance wrote:

I'm honestly not sure how much this devalues the car, if at all.  The wisdom 20 years ago was that the closer the car was to stock the more desirable, but that really no longer seems the case unless the car is something rare (Boss302, Shelby, etc.).  Nowadays people want to drive these cars so the more driveable they are the more desirable it seems.  I'm also betting that very few of us do things to our car based on what its going to do to the resale value.  My car is mine.  I really don't care what its worth to someone else.  When I die it will go to one of my kids, who I'm betting also won't care what its worth to someone else. 

Yeah it would be an easier repair than most other things people cut off/out of cars, the repair panel is cheap/

4/10/2022 3:18 PM  #37

I have made a custom dash and no longer have an indash stereo. I used a bluetooth amp with the small controller in the center cubby. 2 6x9 and 2 6.5" JBL club speakers this is a great sounding system and I have a clean dash.

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

9/15/2022 8:07 PM  #38

Any other options out there??

9/15/2022 8:10 PM  #39

terry wrote:

Depends on what type media you listen to, I just installed a bluetooth receiver. It is hidden under my console.  I can use my phone to play music thru Sirius XM app or play mp3/4 files.  or you can play radio stations thru Iheart radio
Here's a link to what I bought
 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IBI518Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

What all did you have to add to get all this to work....I have Sirius XM in my other cars that are just factory. will this power the speakers or did you have to get a amp?

9/15/2022 8:15 PM  #40

BTaylor wrote:

I just ordered a bluetooth amplifier that I am putting in my trunk. Should be in by sunday and I will give an update. Dont get AM FM but I listen to most music from my phone (spotify)

How did it go?

9/16/2022 10:04 AM  #41

Ear buds are your friend IF you have a healthy sounding Mustang........
I'm removing my old radio/mp3 player because I can now use the bluetooth on my phone
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/16/2022 11:36 AM  #42

6sally6 wrote:

Ear buds are your friend IF you have a healthy sounding Mustang........
I'm removing my old radio/mp3 player because I can now use the bluetooth on my phone
6s6

I hate Ear buds lol

9/16/2022 4:30 PM  #43

Me too!
I use the kind that go over your ear like sunshades.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/17/2022 4:35 PM  #44

This is an Alpine unit with Apple Car Play. It wasn’t what I had in mind when we started stereo shopping, but I do enjoy the big screen.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/19/2022 10:23 AM  #45

I installed a blaupunkt single din cd player in my glove box about 20 years ago.  Made a little wood frame so hold it up. The stereo has its own "Thumber" remote that is strapped to my steering wheel.
Have some Alpine tweeters sitting in the corners of my dash, Kicker 6.5's in the kick fram, 6x9's in the rear deck and some really old kicker 8"s in a box in the trunk.
I recently added a blue tooth adapter so I can play my phone via blue tooth instead of via a cord. 
I left the old am radio in the dash just for looks, but it wasn't connected to the antenna anymore. If i connect it to the antenna it works fine.

9/19/2022 6:05 PM  #46

Bolted to Floor wrote:

This is an Alpine unit with Apple Car Play. It wasn’t what I had in mind when we started stereo shopping, but I do enjoy the big screen.

Tell me more about this....where to get it and price.

9/19/2022 9:25 PM  #47

My radio is the F309 that has now been discontinued and the F509 looks to still be available. It was $900 when I bought it in 2018. I used a factory radio plate and carved it up to accept the radio and made a mount inside the dash to support the body. The body is bolted to the radio plate and the radio plate is screwed to the dash through the normal mounting holes. I can't find any pictures for better detail. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILXF309/Alpine-Halo9-iLX-F309.html 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILXF509/Alpine-Halo9-iLX-F509.html

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (9/19/2022 9:28 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/20/2022 9:58 AM  #48

I must be a dinosaur since I can’t see spending a ton of money on an expensive sound system for a noisy car. An old Mustang should be heavily sound proofed to get the benefit of that kind of system.

I’m perfectly happy with the Custom Auto Sound am-fm 50 watt per channel cassette radio I installed over 20 years ago. My system has 4 medium quality 5-6” speakers

I basically put it in to fill the hole that the poor reception o/e am that was in the car.
I mentioned previously that I have rarely turned the thing on since I put it in, perhaps once in a while to listen to a Skynard tape while parked waiting for Lin out shopping.

Last edited by Rudi (9/20/2022 10:00 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/20/2022 12:41 PM  #49

Didn’t cut dash for the Retrosound
Have 6 speakers…2 rear deck, 2 kick panel, 2 in one front dash.
Here’s a model description but they have others with different features.
Hermosa (Motor 2) 300-watt amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 watts peak x 4 channels) and features built-in Bluetooth® connectivity for hands-free phone calls and wireless audio streaming. A 32,000-color display allows you to match the interior and dash lighting of your hot rod. Hermosa (Motor 2) includes a rear-mounted USB port for flash drives plus two standard auxiliary inputs and has front and rear RCA pre-outs that allow the ability to add external amplifiers.

• Built-in Bluetooth® connectivity
  • 32,000 color display
  • A rear-mounted USB port for flash drives
  • Two auxiliary inputs for portable devices
  • Built-in 300-watt amplifier (TrueRating™: 25 watts RMS/45 watts peak x 4 channels)
  • Dual RCA pre-outs for external amplifier 
  • 1-Year Warranty

Life is too short to drive a boring car😎

1/20/2023 11:41 PM  #50

Bullet Bob wrote:

RetroSound Model 2.  Has two Aux inputs, two USB inputs, bluetooth capable which lets old deaf me us the phone while driving, or input SeriusXM from my phone.  Cant tell how the power, tone, etc. is 'cause, as I said in the first line....I'm deaf...or close enough.
This unit also has a remoteable head which connects to the body with very common telephone multi-pare and connectors so you can leave the stock radio in there and mount the Retro wherever.
This unit also had far better selectivity and sensitivity than the POS Custom Autosound I had first.

BB you and I took the same road - I had the Custom Autosound unit it crapped the bed on my way home from the Bash in Kalispell. I pulled it and got the same Retrosound model as yours - I can input my iPod or my iPhone into a jack in the front of the radio, or into an auxiliary input module that I installed in my glove box. Great minds think alike.....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.