FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/28/2022 9:02 PM  #1

Instrument Cluster Install/Removal Difficulties

64 1/2 Mustang Coupe, 289, Auto, Air. Working on my instrument cluster which I have several times over the years. It has always been a hassle but today more so than normal. It never fit well (tight). Some screw clips were missing and some holes never lined up. Never took the time to make it right because it was a PITA and my body is not as forgiving as it once was. Anyway, I wanted to get it right or at least better and now I’m stuck. It never just popped right out and again no exception. I replaced all the screw clips and went to put the cluster back in and did so but nothing lined up. Bottom seemed ok but the top was sticking way out. Needed to go back in about 3/4 inch. Previously I checked that the wires were placed into their two harness holders behind the clusters inside the dash and secured so only a couple of single wires  were left. I just couldn’t push it back into place. So, I thought, get it back out and see if you can figure it out. Things got complicated. I tried pulling, twisting over and over until I was worn out and gave it a rest. It seemed to be caught along the top edge. Later I used a wide spackle/putty knife and wedged it into and along the top of the cluster and worked it back and forth and finally the right side popped out about an inch and I could then work the other side out. I looked and looked and could not figure out why this thing will not slide in and line up. I see no damage or disfiguration on any of the metal on the dash area or the cluster part. I thought maybe the  screw hole tabs in the dash bend down slightly and that is catching it but that wouldn’t prevent it from going into the dash the full distance. Any thoughts will be appreciated, ‘bout now I’m considering duct tape.Thanks,Randy

9/28/2022 9:38 PM  #2

Re: Instrument Cluster Install/Removal Difficulties

Randy.
Sounds like the same problem I had trying to fit a '66 instrument panel in a '65.
Found out the bottom of the dash panel is shaped different.(small crescent cut out to clear speedo housing)
Don't know if this applies to your situation.
Cman66

9/28/2022 10:35 PM  #3

Speedo clearance at the firewall?

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/29/2022 8:16 AM  #4

cman66 wrote:

Randy.
Sounds like the same problem I had trying to fit a '66 instrument panel in a '65.
Found out the bottom of the dash panel is shaped different.(small crescent cut out to clear speedo housing)
Don't know if this applies to your situation.
Cman66

I agree w/cman66, at least it is something to check.  I had to modify my 65 dash sheet metal to fit the 66 dash panel.  If not, try to install w/o the wiring or speedometer cable connected to see if that is the problem.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/29/2022 9:53 AM  #5

Does it have the original horizontal speedometer from the 64-1/2 or has it been converted to the five gauge cluster with the round speedometer?

Do you have the correct raised body nuts designed for the gauge cluster tabs?  You can’t use plain flat ones.

I am wondering if your speedo cable is binding up on something.  What transmission do you have?   The four speed cable routes differently where it comes through the firewall.

Those clusters can beca major PITA!  I always have to fight mine to get it in the dash, usually requiring alot of pressure to position the cluster.  I use an ice pick to align with the holes in the body nuts.  It gives leverage to align things.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/29/2022 9:11 PM  #6

You DO have the steering wheel OFF.............don't you!
(I like the ice pick trick MS........used it a few times to align the holes and such)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/30/2022 12:16 PM  #7

If you are installing the 5 gauge cluster into the Falcon horizontal gauge opening, you may have interference with the bottom of the opening above steering wheel.

My 65 with factory 5 gauges has a relief above the steering wheel for speedometer.
I have never had to force the instrument panel into the hole.

I haven’t messed with it in a couple of years, but I recall tipping the top in first and then bottom, then lower into position.

I have used this trick to align the screws.

Use longer screws (small drywall screws will work too) to get them all started.
Then hold instrument panel against the dashboard.
Then replace screws one at a time.
Get all started first, then snug them up.

I had to replace a couple of the clips for screws a few years ago.
Just purchased from Lowe’s hardware section.

Btw, place towel over steering column to prevent scratching up paint.  I have wrapped tape around towel to keep in place to keep from falling off and for long projects inside dashboard.

Last edited by Nos681 (9/30/2022 12:20 PM)

10/07/2022 8:19 PM  #8

Wanted to get back and thank everyone that responded to my post. Was out of town for a week which caused this delay. Anyway. Everything is stock on this car. I have used the ice pick trick many times in many situations and it has helped a lot, not this time. Covered the steering wheel with painters tape, learned the hard way back a while. Bottom line, I’m still not sure why it was so difficult to get in but I did get it in and hope I never have to get it back out. I smoothed off all the rough edges I could feel (I doubt that did anything), put it in place and tried to slide it in. Having no luck I added more pressure and still no luck. About this time I was a bit tired of it all, had a couple of drinks under my belt, pushed the seat back all the way, put my bare feet on either side of it and pushed. That snapped it into place with a bit of a crack. All looked OK and everything lined up.  I think it might be easier to cut a hatch under the bloody dash pad next time. Cheers,Randy

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.