FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2022 11:43 AM  #1

C-4 Upgrade?

'67 Coupe, warmed up 302, 3.25 gears.
OK, so my original C-4 is starting to leak a bit (AGAIN) and it seems to be slipping a bit going into 3rd. For many years now I've toyed with the idea of upgrading maybe to an AOD or something to get the cruise RPM down a bit. Rather than get my C-4 rebuilt maybe I should modernize. I found a company named Monster Transmissions that seems to have some good products. Anybody heard of them? Any comments? Anything else I might consider? It is kind of a major expenditure. Thanks for any suggestions. 

10/27/2022 3:18 PM  #2

Re: C-4 Upgrade?

I've heard of them.  They have a good reputation.  Lentech used to be THE place for AOD stuff, so might want to give them a look too.  Alternately, automatics really aren't that hard to rebuild.  You need one or two special tools that I'm sure some guys on the site would loan you.  A core trans and the rebuild/upgrade parts are typically had for pretty cheap.  Make sure to get a new converter and adding an external trans cooler plumbed in line with the radiator tank cooler is also a good idea. 

10/27/2022 3:52 PM  #3

I bought an AOD core from a recycler for $100 and had a highly recommended local transmission shop rebuild it. At the time it cost me $850 or so for parts and labor, not including the new TC.
He was very receptive to the upgrade information I gave him from the Baumann web site and it has been rock solid trouble free from day one.

Baumann Electronic Controls web site is a must reading for those who are into the AOD.

A lot of people say go to the 4R70w, I don’t know if I’d have went that route if that were an option way back when I did mine, now a days the cost is $$$$$.

I have a spare AOD from a Fox body available, but shipping from Ontario to Texas is costly.🤬

Last edited by Rudi (10/27/2022 3:55 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/27/2022 5:04 PM  #4

Well, I spoke with a very knowledgeable and helpful transmission shop owner this PM. He also said that I really need to go the 4R70W route. He also told me that the transmission and all of the associated electronics, labor etc would come to $5K to $6K. A bit more than my old fighter pilot pension can handle right now but I did buy a lottery ticket so one never knows. What I really want is a good quality AOD for a fair price. I'll have a look at Lentech and do some more homework. 
BTW, the transmission guy also told me that he had done repairs on several Monster trannys so he was not real high on them. Who knows. 

10/27/2022 6:19 PM  #5

Well, I spoke with a very knowledgeable and helpful transmission shop owner this PM. He also said that I really need to go the 4R70W route. He also told me that the transmission and all of the associated electronics, labor etc would come to $5K to $6K. A bit more than my old fighter pilot pension can handle right now but I did buy a lottery ticket so one never knows. What I really want is a good quality AOD for a fair price. I'll have a look at Lentech and do some more homework. 
BTW, the transmission guy also told me that he had done repairs on several Monster trannys so he was not real high on them. Who knows. 

10/27/2022 7:26 PM  #6

Was it the same transmission guy that is wanting you to spend $6k that spoke down about an alternative transmission?  If so, hard not to wonder.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/27/2022 10:10 PM  #7

No need to spend 5-$6k on an AOD/4R70W. Even with Alto red fractions, Kolene steels, and upgrades to the AOD with a 300M OD shaft, and a late model output shaft for better oiling, and a Baumann controller for the 4R70W, $5k is way too much to spend.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/28/2022 1:02 PM  #8

I agree with BB2. 
Used tranny, $250 for 4R70w
Rebuild $1,500
Controller and wires $1,000
Any custom stuff $500
Install yourself $25 for beer
Total $3,250, or rebuild it yourself and save $1,000
Didn’t include the beer because you would have spent that anyway screwing around with the C-4.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/29/2022 6:55 AM  #9

I think your beer budget may be low

Don't forget the converter and cooler.

10/29/2022 8:08 AM  #10

I think I will stick with 5 speed....it was 1200 rebuilt and super fun driving.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/30/2022 1:22 PM  #11

TKOPerformance wrote:

I think your beer budget may be low

Don't forget the converter and cooler.

Definitely a larger beer cooler.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.