FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2022 8:03 PM  #1

Hi Everyone from Niagara Ontario 🇨🇦

Hi everyone long time member not been on in a while, back and still have a Fastback looking for you Gurus to chip in on my 65 GT A Code with factory AC, T-5 Original Texas Survivor I’ve loved this car for a few years now and it’s time to look into what I have in terms of Motor, (Been rebuilt at some time frost plugs look new) it’s definitely not Numbers matching or a trailer queen but I love this car and have enjoyed trouble free miles with no issues 

My motor Ford corporate Blue with Ford Dark Blue underneath, gold 65 Valve covers  yuk ,
 No signs of 65 GT Black block anywhere

1) ENGINE #  C6AE-6015-C Corporate Blue no signs of black underneath 6 Bolt Bellhousing.
 2) HEADS # 289-WF-7B23  Confirmed FEB 23 1967 Corporate blue Ford Dark blue underneath 
 3) INTAKE # C5OE-9425-A  (4G21Behind Distributor.)  4 Barrel Corporate Blue orig Black underneath
 4) Distr.     # C4GI-12127-B Single Points ( I need one mine is shot ) I plan on converting over to pertronix 

Anyone interested in telling me what I have here  I-know  it’s a miss match but I want to be able to understand  what I have as a motor as at some point I may rebuild this motor, replace Cam etc etc 
any of this tell me if it’s flat tappet  or?
Right now I’m replacing Timing chain water pump & Distributor if I find one 
feel free to chime in 
on another note lots of familiar names I hope everyone’s doing well and if I can figure out how to post a pic of my car I will 
thx in advance 
Jimmy 

Last edited by Fastbackbhoy (11/03/2022 7:22 PM)

11/01/2022 8:26 PM  #2

Re: Hi Everyone from Niagara Ontario 🇨🇦

Welcome back... my 65 had the gold valve covers with black block....it is dark blue going back in....the black and gold is ugly to me.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (11/01/2022 8:32 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

11/01/2022 8:35 PM  #3

I never should have sold that car..
Sounds like somebody replaced the engine at some point, probably a long block and reused the factory intake.
It is NOT a roller cam engine.  It is your car, now, but if it was still mine it would be getting a roller block from 1987-95 Mustang or Explorer up until 2001.  The 97 Explorer had GT40 heads, probably best of any Windsor head.

I will be building an engine for a 65 convertible. It will get a 97 GT40 block and heads snd will be built to idle smooth and make torque and use regular gas, not to idle rumpety rump as it is driven slowly into car show parking lots.
Bottom line is:  build it what you want it to be. Your original engine is gone. Store the 289 under the workbench and build something trouble-free, or rebuild the 289 and just enjoy what you have.

The only opinion that really matters is yours.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/02/2022 5:33 AM  #4

What is the casting date on the block? It will be in the same location as the engineering number you posted.

11/04/2022 8:18 PM  #5

Thx for the comments I’ll prob carry on with replacing timing chain with the cloyes  double replace water pump reseal the engine and find a distributor my Distributor is Shot (Anyone have one to sell single point)  and run it next year, 

Options, I have many to think about, I may look for a good later roller motor and build it or
take my time and find a rebuilt (they do come up sometimes) and do a mild build for my driving, then I know what I have

Last edited by Fastbackbhoy (11/04/2022 8:20 PM)

11/04/2022 8:39 PM  #6

I built a 98 explorer engine its a roller.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.