FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2022 11:51 AM  #1

Rack and Pinion Conversion experience?

1966 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 Swap, EFI, 4 Disc Brakes, T5z

My steering feels all over the place which says a lot for cars of this era.  I replaced all the bushing and links a few years back but made little if any difference.  I'm thinking of just forking over the cash and doing a complete conversion to rack and pinion kit along with a new tilt column.  

Anyone tell me their experience after converting over their steering?  Was the change dramatic?  I live in the city and sometimes these crazy drivers on the highway make you need to make sudden subtle movements and it drives me crazy with all the play in the steering wheel.  I don't want to throw down this kind of money for just a slight improvement.

11/21/2022 12:00 PM  #2

Re: Rack and Pinion Conversion experience?

I installed the TCP R&P in my '66 20 years ago.  Worked great.  It's manual, so is a little stiff.  I did it when TCP was still privately owned, but I don't think quality has gone down with the current owners.  I've had good service from their tech staff.
Steering is as solid as my '15 GT.  No more bump steer.  But the turning radious is a little greater.

About 5 years ago I had it converted to power.  Still works fine, but the steering pump needs to be tuned to get the feel you want.  You can buy different orifices to make the steering more or less stiff.  And there is some noise from the pump that comes and goes.  I think that there is more bump steer, but not as bad as stock was.  You also need to mess around with pullys.  That can be a mess.  I neeeded to change the dampner to get a 3-bolt front pully, and find a new water pump pully (1-groove to 2-groove).  I'm now too old to do such things on my own.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (11/21/2022 1:11 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/21/2022 12:07 PM  #3

I have a unisteer rack and its ok.  If I was to do it again I would do the borgeson steering conversion.  Im sure alot of your issues are probably in your old steering box. 

11/21/2022 3:34 PM  #4

lowercasesteve wrote:

I installed the TCP R&P in my '66 20 years ago.  Worked great.  It's manual, so is a little stiff.  I did it when TCP was still privately owned, but I don't think quality has gone down with the current owners.  I've had good service from their tech staff.
Steering is as solid as my '15 GT.  No more bump steer.  But the turning radious is a little greater.

About 5 years ago I had it converted to power.  Still works fine, but the steering pump needs to be tuned to get the feel you want.  You can buy different orifices to make the steering more or less stiff.  And there is some noise from the pump that comes and goes.  I think that there is more bump steer, but not as bad as stock was.  You also need to mess around with pullys.  That can be a mess.  I neeeded to change the dampner to get a 3-bolt front pully, and find a new water pump pully (1-groove to 2-groove).  I'm now too old to do such things on my own.

I used the TCP subframe connectors.  I was pleased.  Not sure who I want to go with but I don't plan on adding power steering.  Less complicated with already having an engine swap.  I'm used to driving manual anyway.

11/21/2022 3:36 PM  #5

Steve69 wrote:

I have a unisteer rack and its ok.  If I was to do it again I would do the borgeson steering conversion.  Im sure alot of your issues are probably in your old steering box. 

Yea no doubt.  Old box is shot to pieces.  Would rather go ahead and address the fundamental issue versus trying to just patch it up.  I'd be happy with 90% improvement versus what I have now.

11/21/2022 4:55 PM  #6

I chose not to do R&P because of some issues I read about (increased turning circle, etc.).  I ended up with the Borgeson.  Its a decent setup.  If I had it to do over again though I would use EPAS instead.  I think that's really the best available option for our cars. 

11/21/2022 5:07 PM  #7

You SURE the steering box is shot ??!
I thought so to until......a fella Mustanger suggested adding grease to the box. It probably had never had any grease added!
(Being by the exhaust header they really get heat soaked too.)
I squirted in nearly a 1/2 tube (big tube) and worked it in by twirling the front wheels back & forth.
Steers like it did in the 60's !!! amazing. 1" sway bar....export and monte carlo bar...Arning drop and new shocks turned it into a fun sporty driving Mustang. No wallow on turns and I am now king of the off ramps!!
Although it is 60 year old design.......still a very good steering/handling system.
Thanka bough dit
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/21/2022 5:21 PM  #8

I have a Unisteer manual rack. I am happy with it. Car drives straight, no wandering. Someday i will put Epas on. Little hard to turn in the parking lot with the wide tires. Driving down the highway its da bomb.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

11/21/2022 5:27 PM  #9

I went through my whole front end a few years ago. Replaced all the steering components (not steering box), control arms and coil springs. I added a 1" thick sway bar and a monte carlo bar.
I added grease to the original steering box too.
Being totally stupid, I never did the Shelby drop. To this day, I don't know what I was thinking 🙄.
Anyway, I feel that my car handles and steers great for what is 60 year old technology. It does have its understeer etc, but I live with it and don't compare to the late model cars. My car will never handle and steer as well as a late model car. To be honest, I have no intention of upgrading the steering. I just see that it's part of owning an older vehicle and I'm used to that.
Next time around, I will do the Shelby drop 🙂
Getting back to your post... I think there must be something wrong somewhere in your steering system. Perhaps the steering box needs grease, or adjustment or an overhaul?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

11/22/2022 11:58 AM  #10

I did the MII conversion with power R&P and am very happy with it.

Note that you original steering box may need a slight adjustment as the worm gear wears in the center of the travel.  There is an adjustment screw, with a lock nut, on the top of the box that one can adjust.  It is recommended that you only tighten this screw ¼ turn at a time as the center of the worm gear wears more then the ‘end of travel’.  Too much tightening of this screw can cause the box to lock up at the ends of ‘lock-to lock’ travel.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/22/2022 12:55 PM  #11

TremendousWand wrote:

1966 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 Swap, EFI, 4 Disc Brakes, T5z

My steering feels all over the place which says a lot for cars of this era.  I replaced all the bushing and links a few years back but made little if any difference.  I'm thinking of just forking over the cash and doing a complete conversion to rack and pinion kit along with a new tilt column.  

Anyone tell me their experience after converting over their steering?  Was the change dramatic?  I live in the city and sometimes these crazy drivers on the highway make you need to make sudden subtle movements and it drives me crazy with all the play in the steering wheel.  I don't want to throw down this kind of money for just a slight improvement.

When's the last time you did an alignment?

11/22/2022 4:39 PM  #12

I installed TCP setup in 2005.  I have never had any issues with it except the center boot got oil on it from a leaking oil pressure sender on the engine and it swelled up. The rack nor the KRC pump nor the remote reservoir has never shown any signs or even a hint of seepage. I have never changed the fluid since 2005, around 40,000 miles now.  The outer driver side boot is starting to crack after 17 years.

The difference was especially noticeable in that all bumpsteer totally disappeared.

I did experiment with different pressure regulators in the pump and wound up using the most restrictive orifice for what I feel is the best feel.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/22/2022 6:23 PM  #13

I have the Borgeson box in my 68, I have the upper A-arms dropped (Shelby) with one coil cut off the stock springs. I run a 235/45/17 front tire on an 8" wheel, and it sets low and nothing rubs anywhere. I have as much caster as I can get with the stock components. My return to center is fair, I believe you just get used to it and compensate. The pump is a little over boosted, nice in parking lots, put loose some road feel. I haven't done anything to restrict the flow as of yet.

I would like to try a complete front-end rework in the way of adjustable coil overs, but the cost to do it has stopped me so far. My front springs are pretty shot and need replacing, I just hate the thought of trying to get the ride height where I want it and the older, I get I prefer the better ride over the handling benefits.

The EPAS and Manual rack along with adjustable coil overs would be quite the set-up.

11/22/2022 6:34 PM  #14

kardad wrote:

I have the Borgeson box in my 68, I have the upper A-arms dropped (Shelby) with one coil cut off the stock springs. I run a 235/45/17 front tire on an 8" wheel, and it sets low and nothing rubs anywhere. I have as much caster as I can get with the stock components. My return to center is fair, I believe you just get used to it and compensate. The pump is a little over boosted, nice in parking lots, put loose some road feel. I haven't done anything to restrict the flow as of yet.

I would like to try a complete front-end rework in the way of adjustable coil overs, but the cost to do it has stopped me so far. My front springs are pretty shot and need replacing, I just hate the thought of trying to get the ride height where I want it and the older, I get I prefer the better ride over the handling benefits.

The EPAS and Manual rack along with adjustable coil overs would be quite the set-up.

Borgeson makes a kit to lower the pressure and take some of the assist out of it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Borgeson-899001-Pressure-Reducing-Kit/dp/B002L1FBFU

I had to do this as the steering was twitchy as delivered. 

11/23/2022 10:31 AM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

kardad wrote:

Borgeson makes a kit to lower the pressure and take some of the assist out of it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Borgeson-899001-Pressure-Reducing-Kit/dp/B002L1FBFU

I had to do this as the steering was twitchy as delivered. 

I used this kit to lower the pressure on my Unisteer R&P (from a 88-93 Mustang) and Borgeson pump.  The kit allows to change pressure using one to five shims, that changes pressure from 700psi to 1350psi.  I used 2 shims, for a pressure of 1100psi.
You do not have to remove the pump to change shims, but you do have to remove the PS fluid or it will leak out.  I used a "turkey baster" to remove the fluid.  (and no, I didn't put it back in the kitchen after use!)

11/23/2022 12:13 PM  #16

BobE wrote:

Note that you original steering box may need a slight adjustment as the worm gear wears in the center of the travel.  There is an adjustment screw, with a lock nut, on the top of the box that one can adjust.  It is recommended that you only tighten this screw ¼ turn at a time as the center of the worm gear wears more then the ‘end of travel’.  Too much tightening of this screw can cause the box to lock up at the ends of ‘lock-to lock’ travel.

What MII kit did you go with?  My son is thinking of doing a Coyote and looking at this route. 

11/23/2022 12:22 PM  #17

Not saying that vintage Corvette owners are any smarter than us Mustangers but, their Bendix hydraulic steering system is virtually the same as ours. They don’t seem to muck about with aftermarket r&p or Borgeson, the rebuild the o/e steering with excellent results.
When I got my 68, it was “kind of” a driver but had so so steering. I replaced everything from upper and lower control arms mounts and bushings, new tie rods with ends, idler arms, Pitman arm, rag joint, new steering box and I 100% rebuilt  the ps pump and steering control valve and all new “ correct “ hoses.
Yes it was pricey but safety and being leak free was of prime importance.
That system was exactly that for over 20 years and a lot of driving, it performed flawlessly right till I pulled it and built  a EPAS on a whim.
Dan Chock of <chockostangclassicmustang.com> Is a guy you should talk to, very knowledgeable and skilled on Ford steering, he does nothing but Ford.
I’m almost certain he will give you the best advice on which route to take.
Good luck
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, what ever you do don’t mess with the screw and lock nut on the steering box, if you over do it it may cause damage which will cost a lot more to have or rebuilt.
That screw is to adjust the preload on the sector at center position not to remedy slop.

Last edited by Rudi (11/23/2022 12:29 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/23/2022 4:48 PM  #18

HEAR HEAR! Preach it Rudi. With all new parts, and a rebuilt Chocko steering box, I emit tight and precise steering. Smooth and steady at 130 mph.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/23/2022 5:15 PM  #19

I bought an "old" '68 Mustang as my first car back in 1981.  Looking back now it wasn't really that old then.  I drove that car a lot as my daily driver for several years and never felt like there was anything "wrong" with the steering.  The mustang I have now is another 1968.  I've replaced all of the front suspension and I've performed the Arning drop.  It is a factory power steering car that works well.  It handles just fine.  If your car feels like it is wandering around in the road, it needs some maintenance is all.  No need to redesign it unless you just want to.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/23/2022 5:17 PM  #20

Isn't Dan Chock a snowbird?  Seems I remember he flies south to Florida every winter.  Definitely talk to him about scheduling if you are interested in his services.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/24/2022 8:38 AM  #21

Steve69 wrote:

BobE wrote:

What MII kit did you go with?  My son is thinking of doing a Coyote and looking at this route. 

I used the "Rod & Custom" MII kit, and was installed in 2010. 
IMO - The extra space on the engine sides is the greatest benefit. 

11/24/2022 9:11 AM  #22

6sally6 wrote:

I thought so to until......a fella Mustanger suggested adding grease to the box. It probably had never had any grease added!
I squirted in nearly a 1/2 tube (big tube) and worked it in by twirling the front wheels back & forth.
Steers like it did in the 60's !!! amazing. 1" sway bar....export and monte carlo bar...Arning drop and new shocks turned it into a fun sporty driving Mustang. No wallow on turns and I am now king of the off ramps!!
Although it is 60 year old design.......still a very good steering/handling system.
Thanka bough dit
6sal6

Having just changed out the third member and seeing that it was obvious it was the same one from the factory and never serviced after 56 years I'm pretty certain that the steering box is also the same from the factory and never serviced.  I don't want to throw money at this thing in hoping an issue gets fixed.  I'm hoping there is a path to and update for less than $2500.

11/24/2022 11:00 AM  #23

TremendousWand wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Thanka bough dit
6sal6

I'm pretty certain that the steering box is also the same from the factory and never serviced.  I don't want to throw money at this thing in hoping an issue gets fixed.  .

Try the put grease in it trick!....Go cheapest route first. (I thought the same thing!!!!!)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/24/2022 11:35 AM  #24

I've torn down three 69 steering boxes, none had anything resembling grease in them. The one that looked the best on the exterior had the worm and sector shaft rusted to the point of being unusable.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/24/2022 3:24 PM  #25

Bearing Bob wrote:

I've torn down three 69 steering boxes, none had anything resembling grease in them. The one that looked the best on the exterior had the worm and sector shaft rusted to the point of being unusable.

Ye gotta 'greez'em ,man.......
6s6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.