FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2022 7:45 PM  #1

C-4 Shift Kit

Years ago, I would not even ask this but being 76 years old I don't embarrass easily. A friend suggested I get a shift kit for my '67 C-4. I know that a kit would make for a quicker/harder shift but that is about all I know. With the kit are you locked in to manually shifting or can you also leave the shifter in "D" and have it shift automatically? Do you have to pull the transmission to install the kit? If I go ahead, is there a kit better than most? 
I know that a 4R70W would be a popular option, but it is not in the cards at the moment. Thanks for any input.

11/22/2022 11:09 PM  #2

Re: C-4 Shift Kit

My first question has to be:  What are you going to do with the car?  Is it a stockish highway cruiser, an occasional drag car, what?  What do you hope to achieve by modifying the transmission? 
When I built the AOD for the Heap a number of people suggested that i should install a "shift Kit", hardened OD input shaft, different valve body, on and on.  In the end after some research I put in good frictions and steels, a top of the line OD band, and added a couple of frictions and steels to the (I think) direct clutch pack.  I don't race it I just drive it so I just wanted it to operate well and last a while.  40K so far and it seems to be fine.  I did essentially the same thing to the 4R70W that is waiting for me to find a winter with nothing else going on so I can install it.
If you are leaning toward a transmission upgrade I think I'd just save my $$ and put it toward the AOD or better yet, the 4R70W.  JMO.
Oh, I believe the shift kit can be installed without pulling the trans.  Usually it involves pulling the valve body and making some modifications there.  That can be done by dropping the pan.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/23/2022 6:40 AM  #3

A shift kit doesn't mean you have to shift gears.  A shift kit improves shift firmness and speed by reducing the overlap (the time during a shift from one gear to the next where the clutches are slipping).  It may also mean that if you do shift manually there is no override at a particular RPM if the trans has that feature (I don't believe a C4 does).

You are not going to change shift RPM with a shift kit.  That can only be accomplished by changing governor weights/springs or using an adjustable vacuum modulator.

Having to shift the trans from one gear to the next with no ability to shift automatically is called a "full manual valve body" and requires replacement of the entire valve body in the trans.  A shift kit just changes some springs, makes a couple passages larger, etc. 

All shift kits are not created equal.  I would advise Transgo.  They retain accumulation, which keeps the part throttle shifts from being unnecessarily harsh.  B&M kits just block the accumulators solid and as a result all the shifts are harsh.  With Transgo the part throttle shifts will be smooth, and the full throttle shifts will be neck snapping. 

A shift kit is a nice performance improvement to any old school (non computer controlled) automatic. They are great even for stock engines.  If the engine is hoped up you may also want to consider a converter, but you have to pull the trans to swap it, and without lockup (a feature later transmissions use) you are limited with how much stall you can use.

If you cruise a lot an external cooler is always a good idea. 

11/23/2022 10:13 AM  #4

Excellent advice.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/23/2022 11:05 AM  #5

I'm a BIG fan of shift 'improving'kits.
"They-say"...by improving the shirt between gears it lowers the slippage between gears. Smoothness=slippage.. which = wear.
I installed my first kit (B&M) in a 70 Dodge Challenger= a looong time ago.  It was my main transportation = the wife drove it.
Part throttle with a 383/335HP engine would give a 'firm' butt-knot harsh shift. Anything more than part throttle would make those L-60-14's (remember those?!) really bark!
In drive it would shift through all 3 gears as before.
     Fast forward to my 91 S-10 with the 4.3 engine. TransGO kit supplied everything for improved shifts. Same results as the Old Challenger !
I also use B&M TrickShift trans fluid in both vehicles.
I've done a 'little' research and I believe the Trick Shift is basically the old Ford Type-F fluid.
NEVER had any issues caused by installing the kit.
It's one of those things where............you ask yourself, "why did I not do this years age"!
IF....I was a little younger and maybe a little braver I would tear into the governor section of my little S-10 and maybe modify it to go a little longer between shifts from first to second. I believe GM designed it to shift into high gear faster to help with fuel mileage.
Ya gotta change out the fluid anyway.......why not install a shift kit while the fluid is out?!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/23/2022 2:56 PM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

I'm a BIG fan of shift 'improving'kits.
"They-say"...by improving the shirt between gears it lowers the slippage between gears. Smoothness=slippage.. which = wear.
I installed my first kit (B&M) in a 70 Dodge Challenger= a looong time ago. It was my main transportation = the wife drove it.
Part throttle with a 383/335HP engine would give a 'firm' butt-knot harsh shift. Anything more than part throttle would make those L-60-14's (remember those?!) really bark!
In drive it would shift through all 3 gears as before.
Fast forward to my 91 S-10 with the 4.3 engine. TransGO kit supplied everything for improved shifts. Same results as the Old Challenger !
I also use B&M TrickShift trans fluid in both vehicles.
I've done a 'little' research and I believe the Trick Shift is basically the old Ford Type-F fluid.
NEVER had any issues caused by installing the kit.
It's one of those things where............you ask yourself, "why did I not do this years age"!
IF....I was a little younger and maybe a little braver I would tear into the governor section of my little S-10 and maybe modify it to go a little longer between shifts from first to second. I believe GM designed it to shift into high gear faster to help with fuel mileage.
Ya gotta change out the fluid anyway.......why not install a shift kit while the fluid is out?!!!
6sally6

Yep.  The guys at the trans shop used to refer to F type as the "poor man's shift kit".

Your S10 probably had a 700R4.  I've rebuilt them, pretty simple really.  You can calibrate the shift points by messing with the governor, but stock almost all of them would not shift 4th at full throttle, or hold fourth at anything other than light throttle.  There are some parts from the Corvette and the aftermarket that make both of those problems disappear.  If you ever get into one again talk to Dana at Pro Built.  He helped design a lot of the parts he recommends and sells.  I used one of his kits in my Blazer and it was awesome.  Snap your neck at full throttle, smoother than stock at part throttle without a bunch of slip.  He actually gives you instructions on how to make a few tweaks to the TransGo shift kit.  It really works.  He has one in a Camaro that runs 9s.  Last we spoke it had made thousands of passes without a single tranny issue. 

11/23/2022 4:43 PM  #7

Spot on Sally.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/23/2022 7:16 PM  #8

Excellent inputs. I think I'll do the shift kit. Relatively inexpensive and I can always go back. Thanks for the response!  

11/24/2022 7:14 AM  #9

riwall wrote:

Excellent inputs. I think I'll do the shift kit. Relatively inexpensive and I can always go back. Thanks for the response!  

Not exactly.  Shift kits typically require you to enlarge some passages in the separator plate.  You can go back, but you'll need an unmodified separator plate to do it.  Just really for information, you won't want to go back. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.