FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2022 8:18 PM  #1

There's no rear seat belts in my 65

Looks like they were never an option.  So those of you with the 65 convertibles, did yours come with them, and if not what did you do to install them if you did? I don't believe you can legally carry passengers unless all have seat belts available. (my knowledge base is my 68 which came with belts in back)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/25/2022 8:42 PM  #2

Re: There's no rear seat belts in my 65

The law here (I tink) is :
IF   it came with seat belts they must be worn.
Now...........PNW is pretty close to the Peoples Republic of Californication
So.....your results may vary !
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/25/2022 9:52 PM  #3

While talking about seatbelts what is a good retractable front seatbelt for a 65 Mustang? I know they didnt come with retractable but I like them better. was it like out of a 1970 Mustang?

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

11/26/2022 7:46 AM  #4

I believe rear seatbelts in 65 were an option.
My San Jose hardtop didn’t come with them either.
It’s on my round tuit list.

Wesco for my front retractable seatbelts.
Seatbelts can be ordered to your desire and style.
It does take time for custom orders.
Well worth it.

https://www.wescoperformance.com/seatbelts.html

11/26/2022 9:34 AM  #5

Seat belt anchors need to be thick and support the load over a large area. The ones that cone with the large fender washers are, in my opinion, a joke of an anchor system. In the event of a crash where a 175 pound human had to be abruptly stopped, think how easy the sheet metal could allow the bolt to pull through.
Take a look at a Mustang that DOES have rear belts and duplicate the factory anchors, which are spot welded in place.
Same goes for those who want to anchor a three point belt system.

I am using the 70 Mustang retractable anchors in my 66  Mustang. They fit well, but may not fit in a convertible due to the wider rockers.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/26/2022 10:19 AM  #6

I did not like the fender washers in the hardware kit.
I made my own floor anchor plate for the floor and used the supplied upper anchor in the kit.

Pass side-red circle ⭕️ is coat hook mounting hole

Modified Unistrut washer-used as a spacer for the floor anchor plate (self fabricated)- used to level
I wanted the spacer to be captured and not be able to fall off

Top to bottom: “L” bracket-floorboard of car (washer to visualize)-Unistrut washer-Floor anchor plate (self fabricated)

Supplied “L” bracket in hardware kit-modified to vertical position-mine were 38.5 degrees from vertical

Floor anchor plate (self fabricated)-bolt hole drilled and tapped- assembled on car

Last edited by Nos681 (11/26/2022 10:25 AM)

11/26/2022 12:14 PM  #7

I welded a reversed industrial flange nut in a hole I drilled  in the inner convertible rocker to mount the retractor.
For the shoulder strap I put a steel block up inside the Shelby “roll” bar to anchor it, I did not trust a tapped hole in the 1/8” wall roll bar.

Last edited by Rudi (11/26/2022 12:15 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/26/2022 3:09 PM  #8

Nos681 wrote:

I believe rear seatbelts in 65 were an option.
My San Jose hardtop didn’t come with them either.
It’s on my round tuit list.

Wesco for my front retractable seatbelts.
Seatbelts can be ordered to your desire and style.
It does take time for custom orders.
Well worth it.

https://www.wescoperformance.com/seatbelts.html

I have the Wesco belts (3 point) in my 68 - just looking for ideas for rear belt installs in my 65 convertible.

Last edited by Ron68 (11/26/2022 3:11 PM)

11/26/2022 3:19 PM  #9

MS wrote:

Seat belt anchors need to be thick and support the load over a large area. The ones that cone with the large fender washers are, in my opinion, a joke of an anchor system. In the event of a crash where a 175 pound human had to be abruptly stopped, think how easy the sheet metal could allow the bolt to pull through.
Take a look at a Mustang that DOES have rear belts and duplicate the factory anchors, which are spot welded in place.
Same goes for those who want to anchor a three point belt system.

I am using the 70 Mustang retractable anchors in my 66 Mustang. They fit well, but may not fit in a convertible due to the wider rockers.

I was hoping someone here would post some pictures of rear belt installs in another 65 convertible, possibly with some measurements. I don't really want to modify this 65 too much as it is pretty stock, and adding three point belts to the rear seats would defeat that. I do want to at least install rear seat belts.

11/26/2022 4:24 PM  #10

Duplicate your 68’s mounts, Ron

11/26/2022 5:17 PM  #11

Ron 
I can send some pictures of my rear seat belt location on my 66 convert,  if you think that would help.

Cman66 

11/26/2022 6:42 PM  #12

cman66 wrote:

Ron 
I can send some pictures of my rear seat belt location on my 66 convert,  if you think that would help.

Cman66 

That would be great - otherwise I may take MS's advice and duplicate my 68 mounting points. You can PM me the pictures if you want.

11/26/2022 7:37 PM  #13

I'll get some pictures with measurements tomorrow, and send them on. 

cman

11/27/2022 4:36 PM  #14

Below is a link to the rear seatbelt anchor plate that CJ Pony Parts offers: 

https://www.cjponyparts.com/seat-belt-bolt-anchor-plate-1965-1973/p/HW1765/

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/27/2022 4:39 PM  #15

BobE wrote:

Below is a link to the rear seatbelt anchor plate that CJ Pony Parts offers: 

https://www.cjponyparts.com/seat-belt-bolt-anchor-plate-1965-1973/p/HW1765/

A pair of those, plug welded in place, should work nicely

11/27/2022 5:39 PM  #16

Nos681 wrote:

I did not like the fender washers in the hardware kit.
I made my own floor anchor plate for the floor and used the supplied upper anchor in the kit.

Pass side-red circle ⭕️ is coat hook mounting hole

Modified Unistrut washer-used as a spacer for the floor anchor plate (self fabricated)- used to level
I wanted the spacer to be captured and not be able to fall off

Top to bottom: “L” bracket-floorboard of car (washer to visualize)-Unistrut washer-Floor anchor plate (self fabricated)

Supplied “L” bracket in hardware kit-modified to vertical position-mine were 38.5 degrees from vertical

Floor anchor plate (self fabricated)-bolt hole drilled and tapped- assembled on car

Looks nice, Are they comfortable around the neck, shoulder areas? i am 6 foot and wife is 5/5 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/27/2022 5:41 PM  #17

6sally6 wrote:

The law here (I tink) is :
IF it came with seat belts they must be worn.
Now...........PNW is pretty close to the Peoples Republic of Californication
So.....your results may vary !
6sal6

I like your thinking  and I dont like people in my back seat its just for looks

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/27/2022 6:06 PM  #18

My wife and I are 5’6”

The drop sash is definitely a must, otherwise the belts would be on our foreheads.

I ordered the long “c” attachment point so I could mount them together at bottom.

I had an 84 Cougar that had the 4 point anchor system.
It was frustrating at times watching friends tripping over the seatbelt.
Ford in their infinite wisdom, did at least have a long plastic/rubber sleeve at the bottom for the forward anchor…my friends just couldn’t figure it out…Navy guys. 😂

Last edited by Nos681 (11/27/2022 6:07 PM)

11/27/2022 8:06 PM  #19

Nos681 wrote:

My wife and I are 5’6”

Is that combined height?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/28/2022 4:11 PM  #20

Nos681 wrote:

My wife and I are 5’6”

The drop sash is definitely a must, otherwise the belts would be on our foreheads.

I ordered the long “c” attachment point so I could mount them together at bottom.

I had an 84 Cougar that had the 4 point anchor system.
It was frustrating at times watching friends tripping over the seatbelt.
Ford in their infinite wisdom, did at least have a long plastic/rubber sleeve at the bottom for the forward anchor…my friends just couldn’t figure it out…Navy guys. 😂

I did order that drop sash/extender for the belts in my 68 and it helped keep the shoulder belt part from chafing my neck. I'm 6' and I have 96 seats in my 68. And I'm ex-Navy, but I figured it out.....

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.