FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2023 5:53 AM  #1

1967 mustang headlight harness and fresh air vent

Installing the AWW harness and can't remember if the factory harness runs around behind the fresh air vent between the fresh air vent and lower cowl side or if it runs to the right of it straight through firewall.

I have the harness loop/hanger that hangs on one of the studs on the cowl but can't remember the routing.  

I have replace the cowl area and looks like studs don't align so i'll have to drill a new hole or two in the plastic air vent lip.

If anyone with a 67 or 68 can help that would be great.  pics would be awesome.

1/09/2023 6:45 AM  #2

Re: 1967 mustang headlight harness and fresh air vent

The factory harness runs between the vent and the kick panel side.  Its a PITA to get to/work on.  IIRC that's also where the tail light harness plugs in on the factory harness.

1/09/2023 9:15 AM  #3

I removed the air vent completely. Very little room in there especially with the A/C ducts and the EPAS and it’s ECU .
Being a convertible with A/C I don’t miss the vent.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/09/2023 7:35 PM  #4

You’re getting good advice. I might have some pics I can find too. Installed the vent in mine after cleaning it up as best as possible. Drive it to the Glenrose Bash and bought a roll of duct tape to seal it off…. It was letting in too much warm September air!! It’s still taped up.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/10/2023 4:59 PM  #5

I don't have any useful pictures from my disassembly. 

The Jim Osborn reproduction manuals are fantastic for illustrating how Ford put these cars together and how they routed stuff. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/11/2023 10:13 AM  #6

Not sure if this is a help, but looking at the 66 Mustang wiring diagram, the wire bundle that goes to the firewall is behind the vent.  Another wire bundle also goes on the vent side facing the interior and is held in place by a clip that is mounted on the vent.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/12/2023 6:15 AM  #7

thanks for the info.

I used some factory wire harness clips in the side cowl to support it.  There was a couple holes there probably for this purpose.  I still need to install the air box but have the harness routed.

MY replacement cowl has the studs aligned differently.  I will either drill holes in the air vent or eliminate it.  I have vintage air so i doubt i would use the vent anyway. If i go that way i;ll have to figure out a block off plate.

I have about 95% of the engine compartment wiring done.  Now working on the headlight circuits.

AWW provides the harnedd to wire directly to the headlights with no disconnect except at headlight plug.

I'm going to use Deutsch waterproof connectors just have to figure out how to piggyback wires to go to the passenger side.  Deutsch connectors aren't really made to have 2 wires crimped in one terminal and wouldn't be waterproof .  I found a deutsch Y splitter on Amazon i'm going to try.  If that doesn't work i will use a high quality butt connector with heatshrink to take 1 wire to 2.

1/12/2023 7:19 AM  #8

So long as the wiring is sized appropriately for the loading of both sides I would simply strip a section of wire behind the connector than do a solder splice for the other wire sealed with shrink tube.  Its not super common, but I've seen factory harnesses where they more or less did this with an all metal crimp connection buried in harness wrap or molded over with rubber.  Consequently I've done the solder/shrink tube deal a bunch of times and have yet to have a single issue. 

Definitely don't try to jam two wires in a terminal and crimp it.  You'll have problems with the seal and it will almost certainly fail.  Speaking from experience here. 

1/12/2023 8:04 AM  #9

thanks I appreciate your info and help.

I found the below online and ordered them. Once they arrive I'll see if they will work if not I'll probably do as you describe. Attach the deutsch connectors to the AWW harness then another deutsch connector running to driverside headlight and near that connector splice in for the passenger side.  The wire should be sized properly as that is how AWW supplies it.  They unfortunately plan for you to run the harness directly to headlight plug on driver side and connect two wires to the terminal in the headlight connector to make the piggyback.  

In that scenario to remove front shelby nose of fenders you have to unplug headlights and remove harness.  Seems like they cheaped out on this aspect of the harness.

1/14/2023 7:34 AM  #10

found the below splitter online i think i will try.  I can crimp a connector to my harness and these pig tails will split driverside in to two circuits for the lights

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.