FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2023 8:00 AM  #1

Tremec TKO 600/ Neutral safety switch

How many of you that have converted to a tremec TKO or T5 have wired in a neutral safety switch?

Did you use a relay and if so where did you mount it?

I think factory stick shift cars didn't have neutral safety switch so thinking about not wiring one up.  Seems like something else that could go out and prevent you being able to drive the car.

1/15/2023 8:33 AM  #2

Re: Tremec TKO 600/ Neutral safety switch

My 68 was an automatic before I put in the T5. I used the factory neutral safety connector and wired it to the T5 switch. No relay needed just wire to each side of the connector.

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

1/15/2023 8:34 AM  #3

According to the Fox EFI wirning diagrams I have, the manual transmission Mustangs used a clutch switch and a neutral switch one of which had to be closed to allow start and also send a start signal to the PCM which, I presume, told the pcm to use a particular scenario.  I think the T5 switch is similar to the AOD switch which is a screw-in switch with two sets of contacts.  It is driven by the shift rails and provides neutral safety and back-up light functions.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/15/2023 11:28 AM  #4

I have a T5, but did not connect the neutral start switch ... although it is probably a good idea as I've heard of people starting the car from outside the car without realizing it was in gear, and the car took off, and went into something. 
I also do not think you'd need a relay. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/15/2023 11:40 AM  #5

Apparently, the neutral safety switch that comes with the TKO can't handle the continuous 12v Tremec says you need to install the relay.  

According to the diagrams using relays the only wire i would need to run down to the neutral switch is a ground so when i run my back up light and electric speedo wires I'll run an extra black/ground in case i decide to install later.  I would install the relay under the dash somewhere.

1/15/2023 11:59 AM  #6

Hmmm I thought the neutral switch only carried current to the small terminal of the solenoid when cranking? Why would it be 12v continuous?

1/15/2023 2:45 PM  #7

My car was originally a manual tranny car, so I saw no need for a neutral safety switch on my TKO600.  I know how to drive it without starting it while in gear.  I instinctively depress the clutch pedal when starting, even if I know the tranny is in neutral.  No need to idiot proof it.  Just don't let idiots drive it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/15/2023 4:02 PM  #8

MS wrote:

My car was originally a manual tranny car, so I saw no need for a neutral safety switch on my TKO600.  I know how to drive it without starting it while in gear.  I instinctively depress the clutch pedal when starting, even if I know the tranny is in neutral.  No need to idiot proof it.  Just don't let idiots drive it.

^
This

Last edited by Chaplin (1/15/2023 4:03 PM)

1/15/2023 4:22 PM  #9

I think every other car should have an interlock just to protect MY car! Remember, the idiot is usually in the other car.

1/15/2023 9:23 PM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

According to the Fox EFI wirning diagrams I have, the manual transmission Mustangs used a clutch switch and a neutral switch one of which had to be closed to allow start and also send a start signal to the PCM which, I presume, told the pcm to use a particular scenario.  I think the T5 switch is similar to the AOD switch which is a screw-in switch with two sets of contacts.  It is driven by the shift rails and provides neutral safety and back-up light functions.

Use to be every car in my driveway was a stick. Last new car I bought.with a clutch was a 2008 Ford Fusion, don't have any more. Bob you make a good point, you need both the clutch and neutral switch. If not the car won't start by pushing in the clutch. I wouldn't use it.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/16/2023 11:16 AM  #11

Raymond_B wrote:

Hmmm I thought the neutral switch only carried current to the small terminal of the solenoid when cranking? Why would it be 12v continuous?

Raymond – you are correct, the start circuit is only energized with the ignition switch is in the ‘start’ position.   The relay coil would need to be energized by the ignition switch being in the ‘start’ position.  The relay ‘normally open’ contact would need to be in series the ignition start switch and the neutral switch contact, then continue to the ‘S’ terminal on the starter solenoid.

1/16/2023 11:29 AM  #12

Having  the starter switch under the clutch pedal was a great idea.
I suppose the kids wouldn’t remember those days!🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/16/2023 11:44 AM  #13

BobE wrote:

I have a T5, but did not connect the neutral start switch ... although it is probably a good idea as I've heard of people starting the car from outside the car without realizing it was in gear, and the car took off, and went into something. 

The switch has to be on for the engine to start.  There must be more to it than just pushing the car from outside with it in gear.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/16/2023 6:26 PM  #14

I think this will be filed under......"mods to do when I'm bored and already modded everything category!
I gotta couple of thangs already in that file.

I'm the sorta guy that takes the guard off of the grinder because I enjoy a lil element of danger.
One thing I like about my Mustang is...you can push-start it..if ya wanna.
It may be why I like to drive it around with open headers...cause ya ain't 'spose to.
Enjoy 'manual roll-down windows'....might be a control thang....I don't know!
If they didn't stink so bad... I might take-up smoking again.. liv'in on the edge don't cha know.
AC in a hot rod?!! Not...(besides AC makes my joints ache)

6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (1/16/2023 6:37 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/16/2023 6:45 PM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

I think this will be filed under......"mods to do when I'm bored and already modded everything category!
I gotta couple of thangs already in that file.

I'm the sorta guy that takes the guard off of the grinder because I enjoy a lil element of danger.
One thing I like about my Mustang is...you can push-start it..if ya wanna.
It may be why I like to drive it around with open headers...cause ya ain't 'spose to.
Enjoy 'manual roll-down windows'....might be a control thang....I don't know!
If they didn't stink so bad... I might take-up smoking again.. liv'in on the edge don't cha know.
AC in a hot rod?!! Not...(besides AC makes my joints ache)

6sally6

I enjoy the A/C even with the windows down got use to riding around like that in Police car and like that with heat on in winter cant hear or see as good with windows up......Hard to hear a crime when BORG was barking too.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

1/17/2023 4:17 PM  #16

Rufus68 wrote:

BobE wrote:

The switch has to be on for the engine to start.  There must be more to it than just pushing the car from outside with it in gear.

This has happened when people reached into the car through the open window and started it with the key in the ignition switch.  Before they realized what was happening, and return the key to the 'off' position the car had moved already. 

1/19/2023 11:03 AM  #17

The T5 in Foxbody Mustangs have 2 switches built into the Clutch Pedal Switch (CPS) “clutch interlock”:

One requires switch to be closed for start circuit.

Second requires switch to be closed for ECM diagnostic testing Key On Engine Run (KOER).

There are 2 separate switches on the T5 transmission.

One is the Neutral Sensing Switch (NSS) for the ECM diagnostic testing KOER.

Second switch is for the backup lights.

The NSS is closed when transmission is in neutral…non gear position.

I don’t know how much current can be run through the NSS without damage.
It was originally for the ECM diagnostics only.

I don’t have a clutch pedal interlock switch on my T5.

The 12v is not continuous, however the inductive kickback that the starter coil sends back through the transmission switch is probably what is causing failures. Relay required due to “unknown failures”.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/19/2023 11:12 AM)

1/19/2023 4:39 PM  #18

Dan you just answered some questions I have been facing with Josh's new EFI harness.  I guess when I built the harness for the Falcon with a T5 I did it wrong...but it works just fine.  I'm pretty sure I wired the start ckt through the neutral gear switch without an additional relay. 
I've been studying the diagrams and I see where the ECM wants a Signal Return tied to NDS Pin  30 but I wasn't aware that that was only there to allow KOER.  What through me is that the "neutral safety switch for an 89 Fox available through Rock Auto has four terminals.  I wondered if this was meant to serve as the Safety switch and the NDS signal to the ECM.  Since the only other switch on a T5 is the back-up lights that's probably how it works.  Guess I'll plumb in an interposing relay in Josh's start ckt.

Thanks very much for the info.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/19/2023 5:53 PM  #19

There are 3 locations on Foxbody.

2 switch combo above clutch pedal

and 2 separate switches on transmission.

Keep in mind the wiring differences between auto/manual factory HEGO harnesses.  Don’t want to fry ECM.
There is a short jumper that is routed to a different pin location that will feed 12 volts and burn up a trace on ECM.

Just looked at Rock Auto, same switch on 92.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/19/2023 5:58 PM)

1/19/2023 6:12 PM  #20

Like others, I left the neutral safety switch out when I put my T5 in. Just figured it was pretty low risk.

1/20/2023 8:34 AM  #21

Right Dan...looks to me like the Automatic (A9P) gets a 12V  signal from Ignition Start to pin 30 and the Manual trans (A9L) gets a Signal Return to pin 30 supervised by one of the set of contacts on that upper switch.  Hence my previous post.  Do the other contacts on that switch supervise the start circuit through a relay?  That's what it looks like to me.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (1/20/2023 8:36 AM)

1/20/2023 11:34 AM  #22

Dan & BB – A curious question … looking at the 88-91 EEC Wiring Diagram.  The Clutch Switch (CES) and the Manual Transmission Neutral Switch (NGS) appears to be an “either or” circuit.  If the NGS has a closed contact when the trans is in neutral to send the signal to pin 30, am I correct in assuming that the CES has a closed contact when the clutch is depressed?  If this is correct, then in order to get the start signal either the clutch needs to be depressed, or the transmission must be in neutral, correct?

1/20/2023 7:55 PM  #23

Bob squared… (edit: if you click on the drawings they will  open and be clear(er.)

I have pins 30 & 46 located close to my diagnostic connector.
I have the A9L (manual transmission) ECM, 12 volts should NOT be applied to these wires for this ECM.
Eventually, these will be connected to my Neutral Sensing Switch (NSS) on the transmission…contact closed when in neutral.

I have to jumper these in order to perform KOER tests.
Code 67 will indicate this circuit open.

On the (manual transmission) 92, the 12 volt starting circuit is completely separated by the placement of 1 little jumper wire in a connector.  If jumper is wrong position, it could/very likely damage the A9L.
Ingenious way to save a buck, but can cause damage if unknown.

This jumper is located on the HEGO wire harness (O2 sensors and oil level low).
BTW, I deleted the oil pan switch for the front sump pan has no provision and mine was leaking through the switch.,,another wonderful idea…one more thing to break.

Notice my jumper was diagonal on stock factory 92 Mustang (manual transmission).
It was different than horizontal or vertical arrangement information I found.
It’s easy enough to relocate the jumper in the connector.
I used a different donor HEGO harness, and made it match my factory manual HEGO harness.

Hopefully I was able to answer your questions…kinda long winded.
Just don’t want someone to damage their ECM.

Last edited by Nos681 (1/21/2023 1:02 AM)

1/20/2023 11:07 PM  #24

Thanks again, Dan.  I built Josh's harness to do exactly that.  In neutral the trans switch will connect 30 to 46.  Since the switch has four terminals, I'm hoping that it also provides a closed ckt to the Ign. start circuit.  Gotta get my hands on that switch or wait 'til Josh gets near one of his vast collection of T-5s.

1/21/2023 9:03 AM  #25

The 2 separate transmission switches have only 2 terminals each.

The clutch interlock switch has 4 terminals with 2 separate switches together.

Just want to clarify.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.