FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2023 2:32 PM  #1

Leaf Springs

It's past time to replace the leaf springs on my '67 coupe. It has a warmed up 302 and it is possible that I may like to get on it a bit now and then. I see that the usual suppliers have 4 and 5 leaf kits. Any thoughts on which would be the best option? Thanks for any ideas.

1/24/2023 2:47 PM  #2

Re: Leaf Springs

4.5 leaf reverse eye if you can find them and they will set it about 1"-1.5" lower than stock. Or a mid-eye and they will be between 3/4"-1" lower than stock.

Warning a standard eye spring will look like it is a 4wd all jacked up at first, but they will settle down after a while.

If you ever carry passengers in the rear or a lot of supplies in the trunk, go for the 5-leaf. They can be a little stiff without some extra weight.

1/24/2023 3:07 PM  #3

I would go with a 4.5 leaf if at all possible.  A 4 leaf just doesn't have enough stiffness to prevent axle wrap on hard acceleration.  A 5 leaf will also work, but the ride is going to be stiffer due to the full 5th leaf.  The 4.5 basically uses just the front half of that leaf to add stiffness to prevent axle wrap while keeping the back a 4 lead for a softer ride.  Best of both worlds kind of deal. 

1/24/2023 4:11 PM  #4

I have 4.5 leaf reverse eye on my 66.  Real happy with them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/24/2023 6:55 PM  #5

Ya could always cheap-out and find a main leaf somewhere and cut the front half off and install it with your already springs. With the wheels off the ground attach the spring clamp MS tight. (that's tight to the breaking-off point).
Let the car down and the height may be restored. The stiff front half of the springs will stop wheel hop and the ride won't be harsh. (some old timers...like Bullet Bob remember when this was called 'hot-rodding')
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/24/2023 7:52 PM  #6

Looks like Scott Drake has the 4.5 Mid-Eye leaf springs. Any thoughts on these as opposed to the reverse eye? Thanks. I appreciate the inputs. 

1/24/2023 7:58 PM  #7

6sally6 wrote:

Ya could always cheap-out and find a main leaf somewhere and cut the front half off and install it with your already springs. With the wheels off the ground attach the spring clamp MS tight. (that's tight to the breaking-off point).
Let the car down and the height may be restored. The stiff front half of the springs will stop wheel hop and the ride won't be harsh. (some old timers...like Bullet Bob remember when this was called 'hot-rodding')
6sally6

I'd also be curious to see if simply clamping each leaf to the pack at its end in the front only acted similarly to a 4.5 leaf pack.  Its an old drag racing trick   They you pop the clamps off the rear if equipped.  Made the front act like a traction bar and freed the rear half up to allow the body to rise and help plant the tires. 

1/24/2023 9:04 PM  #8

riwall wrote:

Looks like Scott Drake has the 4.5 Mid-Eye leaf springs. Any thoughts on these as opposed to the reverse eye? Thanks. I appreciate the inputs. 

We ordered a set of those for Jose’s 65 fastback. It made the car sit a good 4-5” higher than what any reasonable person would call acceptable.  Very incorrectly built springs.

1/24/2023 9:31 PM  #9

If you want them to last, the steel it is made from matters.  The springs made by Eaton still use good steel.
https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/leaf-spring

Last edited by Rufus68 (1/24/2023 9:32 PM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/28/2023 11:26 AM  #10

OK, so I've ordered the leaf springs and supporting parts. I like to do some of the work myself but replacing leaf springs is not something I feel like tackling. I checked with a local shop and was quoted 4 hrs at $100/hr for $400. Sounds like a lot. Does this seem reasonable? Thanks for any input.

1/28/2023 11:42 AM  #11

I would think 4 hours is about right.
It is not that difficult to do, several safety items to address, otherwise it is unbolt and replace.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/28/2023 12:54 PM  #12

I did mine in a couple of hours.  On jackstands in my garage.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/28/2023 1:06 PM  #13

I’m sure a guy that flew a CF-104 Starfighter has the ability to do a set of rear springs, it’s not rocket surgery.
Hell if I lived closer I’d come over and help you out. All you need is a basic set of hand tools, a two jack stands and a floor jack, maybe a sawzall.
How far is it from Sherman to Canyon Lake?

Last edited by Rudi (1/28/2023 1:21 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/28/2023 1:43 PM  #14

If the bolts come out, it is not difficult.  If you have to cut the bolts out, ...well, you know.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/28/2023 2:12 PM  #15

Geez Rudy! You had to go and pose a challenge didn't you? Now you've got me checking for Youtube videos. $400 would buy a lot of Labatts Blue!

1/28/2023 3:10 PM  #16

Who needs a video?  It is just 12 bolts to loosen. Plan
On new rear shackles and bushings. The two-piece shackle supposedly for dual exhaust cars does make installation easier on the driver side, but does not look as structurally sound as the original type.
Plan on also having new front eye bolts in hand as well.

Before you start, do this experiment to assure the front bolts can be removed.
First, loosen the nut from the bolts through the front spring eye.
Next, put a wrench or socket on the bolt head and try to rotate the bolts. They should be able to rotate a full turn.

If the bolts won’t turn, that means the bolts are seized into the spring eye’s steel tubes. That takes the project to a whole new level, so pay attention.

The following applies only if the bolt is seized:
You will need a large grinder with a cutoff wheel.  After unbolting the shackle and the u-bolts from the spring, lower the spring down where it is held in place only by the front eye bolt.  Then cut the front eye off the spring and discard the spring. Rotate the remaining spring eye 180 degrees and cut the spring eye across the width of the spring. Discard the two halves of the spring eye. Then you have the rubber eye bushing exposed. You can cut the bolt with a large cutoff wheel or, using a sawzall with high quality metal cutting blade, cut the bolt in two places, at each end of the spring eye rubber bushing. Remove the three bolt pieces. Then you can proceed to install the new spring and new eye bolt.
Do not tighten the eye bolt nuts or the shackle nuts until you have the car’s weight on the axle.

Hints
Do one side at a time to avoid the rear axle tilting or rolling forward
Jackstands go under the car body, not axle while removing springs.
A third jackstand is helpful to support the axle while the spring on that side is being removed.
Make sure ubolts are perfectly vertical around the axle before tightening them.
Install the eye bolt first, then raise the spring up to install the shackle.
Then, set the axle down on the spring.
Yes, shocks need to be unbolted first. Be careful the brake hose does not get stretched if you let the axle drop when shocks are removed.

1/28/2023 3:18 PM  #17

Steve is able to describe in detail the removal so very well, you can tell he’s done it a few times.
As for Labatts Blue, having some on hand will certainly make the job easier.
Kept us informed on how you are making out.
Good luck.

1/28/2023 3:39 PM  #18

Wow, excellent method MS.  Nearly 30 years ago when I did mine the front bolts were frozen.  I tried everything my 16 year old brain could concoct, but couldn't get them out or cut.  My Dad ended up cutting the bolts with a torch.  I was sweating bullets the whole time, but fortunately Dad knew what he was doing and nothing got damaged except what we intended to destroy. 

1/28/2023 5:20 PM  #19

Yeah, a torch is also effective, but that rubber bushing melting blobs down on you is no fun!!!

1/28/2023 7:22 PM  #20

Excellent Steve! Thanks for the detailed instructions. I think I can give it a shot. I have ordered the shackles and eye bolts as well as new U-Bolts so I think I'm set. I had the leaf springs replaced about 18 years ago. I have not put a lot of miles on the car (never in the rain) and it is garaged every night so I am hopeful that the old eye bolts will come out. 
I expect everything to be here within a week so we should be past the cold snap before I'm ready to go. I'll post an update.  Cheers  

1/28/2023 8:22 PM  #21

Unless you just luck onto some perfect repro u-bolts with the flattened tops and correct length, I would reuse the originals. Unless damaged beyond repair.

1/29/2023 7:26 AM  #22

There's some debate on that issue all over the net.  I've never reused u-bolts.  I had a set in my truck for maybe 2-3 months before I got my traction bars and I still replaced them when I took the old ones off.  After exhaustive reading there's a couple reason why folks say not to reuse them.  Most of it stems from the way the threads are cut.  Basically they are cut for a one time use and the threads of the bolt and nut lock together preventing loosening, but also causes damage to the threads when taken back apart such that they will never achieve proper torque and hold it again.  Now, is that ALL u-bolts that were ever made?  I can't say.  What I can say is that tidbit made me gun shy about ever trying it.  Even if everything was fine I subscribe to the idea that bolts are cheap and catastrophic suspension failure is expensive.

I can also say that spring shops and even most trailer shops can make you u-bolts in any length, diameter, etc. that you desire.  The last 3 sets I've bought were ordered based on that info and came back almost indistinguishable from the ones I removed.  The flattened section may not be possible, but I can't say for sure as that wasn't how my old ones were made on those last 3 sets I bought (also for the same vehicle, let's not get into that discussion).

Anyway, counterpoint made.  Everyone has their own experience, your mileage may vary, etc. 

1/29/2023 9:34 AM  #23

TKOPerformance wrote:

Wow, excellent method MS.  Nearly 30 years ago when I did mine the front bolts were frozen.  I tried everything my 16 year old brain could concoct, but couldn't get them out or cut.  My Dad ended up cutting the bolts with a torch.  I was sweating bullets the whole time, but fortunately Dad knew what he was doing and nothing got damaged except what we intended to destroy. 

The front bushing bolts were also frozen in on my 65.  I used a Sawzall and cut the bolts next to the bushing, no damage to the mounting bracket. I greased the new bolts prior to installing and have removed them a few times since w/o any issues. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/29/2023 9:52 AM  #24

Quote: [
Most of it stems from the way the threads are cut.  Basically they are cut for a one time use and the threads of the bolt and nut lock together preventing loosening, but also causes damage to the threads when taken back apart such that they will never achieve proper torque and hold it again.
]Quote
I’m curious as to the method threads are cut for one time use as opposed to multiple use?
I understand torque to yield but I doubt “U” bolts fall under that category.

1/29/2023 2:42 PM  #25

From what I've read Rudi, the threads are cut such that there is some measure of interference to the fitment.  While not TTY you do permanently deform the threads by torquing the u-bolts.  If you go to reuse them and can't tighten to short of where they stopped the first time and achieve proper torque.  I think in theory you might be able to go past that spot, but if all you did was take it apart and put it back together you should in theory end up in exactly the same spot.  Can I verify this?  No.  Does it possibly come from companies that have a vested interest in selling you u-bolts?  Sure.  Do they also possibly have a vested interest in not being sued?  Definitely.  Am I going to take a chance for $20-$40 worth of hardware?  @#$% no. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.