FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2023 4:02 PM  #1

lower shifter boot

How many of you are running a lower shifter boot to seal up the shifter to floor opening and what car did you get it from?  I think I read some were using fox body lower shifter boots.

I'm also trying to decide where to drill a hole to run my back up light, electric speed wires and air fuel wires thru.

Any input?

1/22/2023 8:40 PM  #2

Re: lower shifter boot

1fststang wrote:

How many of you are running a lower shifter boot to seal up the shifter to floor opening and what car did you get it from?  I think I read some were using fox body lower shifter boots.

I'm also trying to decide where to drill a hole to run my back up light, electric speed wires and air fuel wires thru.

Any input?

I am using the lower fox body boot. Works great.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

1/22/2023 8:53 PM  #3

I have an enlarged shifter hole in the tunnel, cut to fit the fox bolt-on lower boot. I welded the nuts to the floor so the boot can be easily bolted in from the top. Removal of the boot provides easy access to all four shifter bolts.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/22/2023 11:15 PM  #4

MS wrote:

I have an enlarged shifter hole in the tunnel, cut to fit the fox bolt-on lower boot. I welded the nuts to the floor so the boot can be easily bolted in from the top. Removal of the boot provides easy access to all four shifter bolts.

mine too.... wanted to be able to take shifter out and swap if needed....but love the pro 5,0 so far.

1/23/2023 2:38 PM  #5

I never thought to mount a lower shifter boot. Makes sense... What works best for a standard, non modified 4 speed opening?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

1/23/2023 2:45 PM  #6

The 69-70 Boss 302 lower boot covered the four speed shifter, but was not very effective.  I do not know of any other one for four speeds.

1/23/2023 4:39 PM  #7

I used some 1/8” ‘rubber’ gasket material to cover the shifter opening, which I also enlarged for the T5 Shifter.  I think the Fox body lower boot is a better idea.
As far as wiring, I ran several wires through the shifter hole and under the rug forward to the dash board area.  Take care to ensure these wires aren’t rubbing on the metal opening for the shifter.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/23/2023 5:59 PM  #8

Can someone post a part number for the Fox boot?

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/24/2023 4:42 PM  #9

I went to CJ Pony's website and just typed in "fox body lower shifter boot".  

1/24/2023 6:44 PM  #10

1/24/2023 9:41 PM  #11

So this goes under the carpet with the upper boot going over the carpet.  Is this how it goes together?
Assuming so, this seems awesome to keep dirt out of the shifter.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/24/2023 9:57 PM  #12

i may have a extra new one somewhere.

1/26/2023 5:55 AM  #13

I just got the lower shifter boot in.  Its pretty large barely fits the width of the tunnel.  Assuming carpet will fit and cover well without any problems.

Did you guys trim up the fox boot any or just install as is?

I haven't trimmed my shifter hole but with the TKO 600 in my 67 the shifter is very close to passenger side of the original shifter opening.  I do need to trim this area a bit.  Don't really want to cut the opening anymore than i have to.  

I think I'll get boot position on. Drill 4 holes and use some of those threaded nutserts so i can remove easily.

1/26/2023 3:39 PM  #14

1fststang wrote:

I just got the lower shifter boot in.  Its pretty large barely fits the width of the tunnel.  Assuming carpet will fit and cover well without any problems.

I haven't trimmed my shifter hole but with the TKO 600 in my 67 the shifter is very close to passenger side of the original shifter opening.  I do need to trim this area a bit.  Don't really want to cut the opening anymore than i have to.  

I think I'll get boot position on. Drill 4 holes and use some of those threaded nutserts so i can remove easily.

1fstang – could you post the dimensions of the lower shift boot.  I increased the size of the shifter opening in my 65 and want to know if this boot could still be used, Thank you.

1/26/2023 6:43 PM  #15

BobE wrote:

1fststang wrote:

1fstang – could you post the dimensions of the lower shift boot.  I increased the size of the shifter opening in my 65 and want to know if this boot could still be used, Thank you.

I opened mine past the original bolt holes and it covers that.

1/26/2023 8:05 PM  #16

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

BobE wrote:

1fststang wrote:

This is the boot and a new rubber replacement.  I bent the frame on my 66 so it fit with the passenger side of the hump opened up for shifter access.

1/26/2023 8:08 PM  #17

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

BobE wrote:

1fststang wrote:

This is the boot and a new rubber replacement.  I bent the frame on my 66 so it fit with the passenger side of the hump opened up for shifter access.

1/26/2023 8:16 PM  #18

Foxbody Mustangs used a clip nut/barrel clip nut for the shifter boot.

1/26/2023 9:04 PM  #19

1/27/2023 2:55 PM  #20

Just to confirm that I'm understanding this correctly...
Are people saying that if you have a standard 4 speed, with a non modified shifter opening, there isn't really a decent lower boot option?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

1/27/2023 4:07 PM  #21

Toploader wrote:

Just to confirm that I'm understanding this correctly...
Are people saying that if you have a standard 4 speed, with a non modified shifter opening, there isn't really a decent lower boot option?

NO!  Implied, but not stated, I believe all of the previous posters were speaking of T5 or newer transmissions in their classic Mustangs.  The above discussion is for them.

For cars retaining the original 3 or 4 speed transmissions, the repops of the original lower boots are still available from typical Mustang vendors.

1/31/2023 6:33 AM  #22

so for you guys that installed the lower boot how did you mount the upper boot? does the upper boot cover all of the lower boot and fasten to the hump/floor?

I'm running a nice console I got from Mustangs unlimited and thinking about getting a smaller boot that i can mount to the console or should i mount one to the lower boot or over the lower boot and just pull it up through the console opening.

any recommendations for a good quality boot would be great.

1/31/2023 6:42 AM  #23

Yes mine is 5 speed and I use a hurst boot that coes up thru the console to cover the lower boot.

1/31/2023 4:34 PM  #24

On my home-made console, I used the “Scott Drake Manual Shifter Boot C5ZZ-7277-L” (square base) and the “Scott Drake Shifter Boot Retainer C4ZB-7262-B” both purchased from Summit.  I used JB Weld to hold ¼-20 nuts to the boot bottom for the retainer to bolt to, with the console top sandwiched between the boot and retainer, as the top of the console was a couple of inches above the driveshaft tunnel.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.