FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2023 9:25 AM  #1

2016 Mustang rear tailight

So my Mustang has developed a problem, so I will post it here.

The left rear tailight has partially stopped working.  As in, the center LED is not lighting.  I know its an led pack whole assembly,and seems to be a 400 dollar part.   That said,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and or if they know of any home brew fixes.  Cause that's kind of what we do here.  For example:

My 2004 Jeep had a known grounding problem inside the taillight assembly that caused them not to work properly.  Busting them open and well placing a grounding strip fixes the problem.  I had to do that on mine on the left rear, and it hasn't caused a peep of trouble since.  So as I start to research this, and look for a cure, just wondering if anyone else here has heard anything.

Yes, its a sequential light, and it came from the factory that way. 

Thanks,

Last edited by Greg B (2/19/2023 9:26 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/19/2023 9:33 AM  #2

Re: 2016 Mustang rear tailight

What does your OBD2 scanner say is the problem?

No check engine light?

With all of the on board “Body control modules”, it’s hard to say.

If it’s not obvious, might have to replace or have it scanned.

I feel like there’s way too much BS electronics in these newer cars.

I’ve had problems with rear wipers, seat heaters, seat controls, and radio speaker amplifier in my “Kia’s”.

Good luck, I feel your pain brother.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/19/2023 9:33 AM)

2/19/2023 12:23 PM  #3

I've been expecting people of these new cars to get sticker shock whenever the fancy LED lights start going out.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

2/19/2023 1:23 PM  #4

Rufus68 wrote:

I've been expecting people of these new cars to get sticker shock whenever the fancy LED lights start going out.

You aint seen sticker shock until your 2019 F-150 with BLISS loses a taillight...

2/19/2023 2:02 PM  #5

Greg B wrote:

So my Mustang has developed a problem, so I will post it here.

The left rear tailight has partially stopped working. As in, the center LED is not lighting. I know its an led pack whole assembly,and seems to be a 400 dollar part. That said,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and or if they know of any home brew fixes. Cause that's kind of what we do here. For example:

My 2004 Jeep had a known grounding problem inside the taillight assembly that caused them not to work properly. Busting them open and well placing a grounding strip fixes the problem. I had to do that on mine on the left rear, and it hasn't caused a peep of trouble since. So as I start to research this, and look for a cure, just wondering if anyone else here has heard anything.

Yes, its a sequential light, and it came from the factory that way.

Thanks,

Don't know what to tell you about the LED light problem, but I have had the same problem  with my 2004 Jeep Overland. The funky contacts in the light receptacles corrode, so I have had to clean them up and bend them so that they maintain good contact, and then coat the contacts with dielectric grease. That has  worked for me - so far.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/19/2023 2:30 PM  #6

Raymond_B wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

You aint seen sticker shock until your 2019 F-150 with BLISS loses a taillight...

I've never heard of BLIS so I had to look it up to even see what it was.  I'm happy with the blind spot mirrors I use on my daily drivers.  And I put convex mirrors on both sides of my '68 Mustang that eliminates the blind spots.  I really can't see myself owning any car filled with this complicated electronics.  At least I hope I am never forced to own one because that is the only way I ever see it happening.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

2/19/2023 2:51 PM  #7

Rufus68 wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

I've never heard of BLIS so I had to look it up to even see what it was.  I'm happy with the blind spot mirrors I use on my daily drivers.  And I put convex mirrors on both sides of my '68 Mustang that eliminates the blind spots.  I really can't see myself owning any car filled with this complicated electronics.  At least I hope I am never forced to own one because that is the only way I ever see it happening.

I mean it's a perfect example of the more bells and whistles you have the more that can go wrong, however I do like the feature it works really well until you have to replace it out of warranty...

2/19/2023 3:04 PM  #8

So when it failed….check engine light come on?
Or radio announced problem with BLISS?

You gotta keep ‘em separated.

CNTRL + ALT + DEL ???….problem solved…or just REBOOT It.
Kinda like at work 😁

2/19/2023 4:48 PM  #9

Nos681 wrote:

Kinda like at work 😁

Haha no check engine light, actually neither BLIS nor my brake light failed just the tail light section. **BUTT** of course the LEDs are all one assembly. 

2/19/2023 6:08 PM  #10

Check with your Ford dealer.  there is a recall for problems like yours.  the solution is a new pigtail in the trunk lid.  You have to get it from Ford.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/19/2023 6:13 PM  #11

lowercasesteve wrote:

Check with your Ford dealer.  there is a recall for problems like yours.  the solution is a new pigtail in the trunk lid.  You have to get it from Ford.

For an F-150? Oh man I was at the dealership when I got that quote grrrrr I will give them a call back!

2/19/2023 7:45 PM  #12

Raymond_B wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Kinda like at work 😁

**BUTT** . 

MY MAN!!!! You go big fella,,,,,,,,,(I may have created a monster)

Last edited by 6sally6 (2/19/2023 7:46 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/20/2023 8:33 AM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Kinda like at work 😁

**BUTT** . 

MY MAN!!!! You go big fella,,,,,,,,,(I may have created a monster)

Hahahahaha

2/20/2023 11:19 AM  #14

I unhooked the battery which wound up being overnight mainly cause I was too lazy to go back out there last night.  Anyways, I hooked it back up and it is now working fine.  I made a short video of it working, but I couldn't get it to upload.

I know about the recall on the camera/third brake light. Iso far I never experienced any problems with mine, and they were working fine yesterday as well.  I know that doesn't mean it's not related.  There are two causes of the camera problem.  One is in the camera itself, the other is the wiring harness that comes out of the trunk. Those wires break because the harness is too short making the loop tight causing the wires to break. When my car was new, I did not like how tight that loop was with the trunk open, and I traced it out behind the rear seat and was able to give it some length by moving a clip.  Not really thinking it's related, but who knows at this point.

The only light that was out on mine was the CENTER led of the housing.  The inner and outer led were still flashing.  That is why I immediately thought it was the board inside the housing.   I guess now it's wait and see if it happens again.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.