FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2023 10:05 AM  #1

Borgeson pump question

Other than being smaller do yall think the factory pump would work just as good with the Borgeson system.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/20/2023 10:09 AM  #2

Re: Borgeson pump question

Several people have used either the factory pump or the pump from a Fox Mustang.  It may require some fittings, etc. to get it plumbed, but otherwise should work.  Personally, I've had one Saginaw pump fail compared to a bunch of Ford pumps over the years, so I'm partial to the Saginaw that Borgesson provides.  When I eventually switch to a Fox accessory drive I will use a conversion bracket that allows a Saginaw pump to be used in that setup.  I sourced it from a 4x4 place.  Wild Horses 4x4 I think. 

2/20/2023 10:31 AM  #3

TKOPerformance wrote:

Several people have used either the factory pump or the pump from a Fox Mustang.  It may require some fittings, etc. to get it plumbed, but otherwise should work.  Personally, I've had one Saginaw pump fail compared to a bunch of Ford pumps over the years, so I'm partial to the Saginaw that Borgesson provides.  When I eventually switch to a Fox accessory drive I will use a conversion bracket that allows a Saginaw pump to be used in that setup.  I sourced it from a 4x4 place.  Wild Horses 4x4 I think. 

The guy I bought car from said he had had the factory pump rebuilt and was just wondering if i should just use it for a while it would save a few hundred bucks and work.  I would really like to convert over to the serpentine belt someday.

2/20/2023 11:00 AM  #4

They make hoses to fit the Ford pump to the borgeson. Try it and see. Nothing to lose

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/20/2023 11:19 AM  #5

MS wrote:

They make hoses to fit the Ford pump to the borgeson. Try it and see. Nothing to lose

I think thats what comes in kit if you have the Ford pump.

2/20/2023 11:44 AM  #6

I am using a 1979 ford pump and it works great!

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

2/20/2023 12:20 PM  #7

I would use this.

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/featured/products/ford-cii-power-steering-pump-replacement

At least the rusty C-h-e-v-r-l-e-t has a quiet p/s pump.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/20/2023 12:21 PM)

2/20/2023 4:21 PM  #8

Lee has a good reputation, but I think you can use any Saginaw pump with the pulleys and brackets here:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Extreme_Duty_Steering_Pumps

A typical reman Saginaw pump is only like $40 from Rock auto. 

2/20/2023 4:39 PM  #9

I would not use that Lee pump because of the fluid requirements they listed.  There are other pump choices available without sounding so specialty fluid dependent.  ...but that's just me

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

2/20/2023 5:18 PM  #10

I've had the Borgison conversion on my 65 for some 10 years now and works great. Also I have always used Lucas 100% synthetic fluid. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

2/20/2023 5:21 PM  #11

Cab4word67 wrote:

I've had the Borgison conversion on my 65 for some 10 years now and works great. Also I have always used Lucas 100% synthetic fluid. 

Are you using the Borgeson pump?

2/20/2023 7:04 PM  #12

I have the Lee pump on my Borgeson system and it works just fine. Quiet as a mouse vs the moaning rebuilt Ford pump that would wake up Helen Keller.
Also purchased a bottle of their recommended fluid, didn't use all of it so, it's in the trunk just in case I need to give it a little sip. To me, that ain't a big deal........

2/20/2023 7:15 PM  #13

josh-kebob wrote:

I have the Lee pump on my Borgeson system and it works just fine. Quiet as a mouse vs the moaning rebuilt Ford pump that would wake up Helen Keller.
Also purchased a bottle of their recommended fluid, didn't use all of it so, it's in the trunk just in case I need to give it a little sip. To me, that ain't a big deal........

you use ford bracket?

2/21/2023 2:07 AM  #14

Cab4word67 wrote:

I've had the Borgeson conversion working great now for 13 years. With the  Saginaw pump.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/21/2023 7:55 AM  #15

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

you use ford bracket?

Me too, same as Josh.  And Yes, the Lee pump is a direct replacement for the Ford 5.0  pump.  If you are using the early, 289 type pump, you may have a problem but it's a bolt on for  the 5.0 bracket.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/21/2023 11:52 PM  #16

Sorry Yes I have the borgison pump too.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/21/2023 4:35 AM  #17

the Borgeson Pump part number 800324 that comes in kit appears to be same pump that the local parts places sell for half price for a 1980-91 Jeep would just need the pulley.

JEEP Borgeson Universal 800324 Borgeson Universal Self-Contained Saginaw GM Power Steering Pumps | Summit Racing

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/21/2023 4:36 AM)

3/21/2023 3:10 PM  #18

the Borgeson Pump part number 800324 that comes in kit appears to be same pump that the local parts places sell for half price for a 1980-91 Jeep would just need the pulley.

JEEP Borgeson Universal 800324 Borgeson Universal Self-Contained Saginaw GM Power Steering Pumps | Summit Racing

Remember to verify the pressure rating of this pump matches the needs of the PS system it is supporting.  Also, it would be good to verify that the pressure controlling relief valve kit that Borgeson sells (# 899001) can be used on this pump in case the pressure rating needs to be changed.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/21/2023 4:08 PM  #19

BobE wrote:

Remember to verify the pressure rating of this pump matches the needs of the PS system it is supporting.  Also, it would be good to verify that the pressure controlling relief valve kit that Borgeson sells (# 899001) can be used on this pump in case the pressure rating needs to be changed.

My Borgeson pump arrived in a box claiming it was for the Jeep application as listed.  So if anything the pressure probably needs to be reduced.  You can monkey with the pressure even with a stock Saginaw pump by adjusting the bypass screw and/or drilling out the supply passage.

3/21/2023 6:46 PM  #20

BobE wrote:

I talked with a guy at Borgeson and he was the one that gave me the part number for the pump that is used in kit.
Good idea about the valve kit....maybe even a cooler.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/21/2023 6:50 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.