FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2023 6:16 AM  #1

To scrap or not scrap? That is the question

I am trying to clear out some stuff in my garage to make room for some new tools/tool storage and one of the items taking up space is some old three speed transmissions.  One is out of 67 Mustang, one is out of my 69 coupe that was swapped for a 4-speed and the other I believe is out of a Falcon.   

I have posted them locally for sale with no takers.  I will never use them again and doubt anyone else will either. At this point I am tempted to scrap them because I need them gone, but I feel bad simply scrapping them. 

Scrap or not?

1/25/2023 8:09 AM  #2

Re: To scrap or not scrap? That is the question

Disassemble and put the good gears on ebay. Otherwise, pretty worthless.
Out of all the parts I have thrown away and later regretted, three speed transmissions has never crossed my mind.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/25/2023 9:14 AM  #3

...ah memories.  Back in the early '80s I enjoyed my 3 speed 6 cylinder.  Of course the national speed limit was 55.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/25/2023 10:14 AM  #4

Yeah, MS has the best advice if you want to recoup anything.  Take them apart, clean the good parts, and list them on eBay.  Don't expect to get a lot for the parts, and expect them to sit on eBay for a long time (better to set up a store or something so you don't have to keep relisting stuff).  Honestly for the effort involved, if there doesn't seem to be much traffic on such pats on eBay I'd send them to China via the nearest scrap metal place. 

1/25/2023 12:33 PM  #5

YARD ART!!!  Tell everybody you're from Alabama.........
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/25/2023 1:04 PM  #6

Thank you for easing my guilt.  Probably not worth the time and effort to dismantle and sell parts, so off to the scrap yard they shall go!

1/28/2023 9:09 AM  #7

Another scrap it question....

64.5 generator and mourning brackets?

1/28/2023 10:41 AM  #8

Chaplin wrote:

I'd keep those. Don't take up much room on the shelf, and occasionally someone comes along looking for that set up.

Last edited by josh-kebob (1/28/2023 10:41 AM)

1/28/2023 11:33 AM  #9

josh-kebob wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

I'd keep those. Don't take up much room on the shelf, and occasionally someone comes along looking for that set up.

I agree.  People restoring any generator equipped small block Ford may be looking for one, and/or the brackets.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/28/2023 1:18 PM  #10

I admit I have a fondness for that transmission because it was one of my very first swaps.   The value in that transmission once WAS to swap it into a first generation Mustang or Falcon with the 2.77 non-synchro transmission.   To refresh memories:

The early 6 non synchro transmission could not be down shifted into first gear while the car was moving any at all.  You had to be at a complete stop to use first gear while driving. 

In 1967 Ford introduced the 3.03 transmission into the line of 6 bangers and it was fully synchronized. Along with a larger clutch. 

My first Mustang was a Springtime yellow 1966 6 cyl coupe.   I gathered the parts and did this swap.   It was the best thing I ever did to it. 

If there is any value left in those trannys, that is your market.  There are probably people out there that would love to leave their 6 in place and don't even know about this upgrade, and wind up with a t5. 

Just sayin'

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/28/2023 4:48 PM  #11

BobE wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

I agree.  People restoring any generator equipped small block Ford may be looking for one, and/or the brackets.

Ok, I will hold onto them and see if anyone wants them.

1/28/2023 4:50 PM  #12

Greg B wrote:

I admit I have a fondness for that transmission because it was one of my very first swaps.   The value in that transmission once WAS to swap it into a first generation Mustang or Falcon with the 2.77 non-synchro transmission.   To refresh memories:

The early 6 non synchro transmission could not be down shifted into first gear while the car was moving any at all.  You had to be at a complete stop to use first gear while driving. 

In 1967 Ford introduced the 3.03 transmission into the line of 6 bangers and it was fully synchronized. Along with a larger clutch. 

My first Mustang was a Springtime yellow 1966 6 cyl coupe.   I gathered the parts and did this swap.   It was the best thing I ever did to it. 

If there is any value left in those trannys, that is your market.  There are probably people out there that would love to leave their 6 in place and don't even know about this upgrade, and wind up with a t5. 

Just sayin'

Ok, I will give you 3 for the price of 1!  😀

Checked them today.
One is 68 Falcon
One is 67 Mustang 289
One is 69 Mustang 302.

1/29/2023 9:20 AM  #13

The effort to box the transmissions for shipping, and the cost of shipping may preclude any real monetary value unless you find somebody local ... just saying. 

1/29/2023 2:36 PM  #14

Also, given the cost of all that is it worth it for a 3 speed swap today?  Frankly if I were spending dollar one I'd just look at a T5 from the beginning.  Better gear spacing and overdrive.  Just my $0.02. 

1/29/2023 9:34 PM  #15

I do get there are much better options today.  I was just saying it was a great! swap back in 1989.   You could put the 67 bell housing in a 66 because the 66 200 had a dual bolt pattern.

I just thought there might be someone out there with a 6 that doesn't want a t5.   Cause those little shoebox trannys were total trash.   

I guess I wouldn't spend time looking for that person.   But there are people who love the 6 and honestly, it was a darn good engine.   All my early Mustangs and Falcons were 6bangers, probably out of financial reasons.  Just what I had. Not ashamed.   At least I can say I owned em!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/30/2023 7:24 AM  #16

So, does that mean you are passing on this fantastic, limited time only 3 for 1 deal? 
LOL!

1/30/2023 7:40 AM  #17

Greg B wrote:

I do get there are much better options today. I was just saying it was a great! swap back in 1989. You could put the 67 bell housing in a 66 because the 66 200 had a dual bolt pattern.

I just thought there might be someone out there with a 6 that doesn't want a t5. Cause those little shoebox trannys were total trash.

I guess I wouldn't spend time looking for that person. But there are people who love the 6 and honestly, it was a darn good engine. All my early Mustangs and Falcons were 6bangers, probably out of financial reasons. Just what I had. Not ashamed. At least I can say I owned em!

Anything is possible, but when it comes to stuff like this I typically will throw up a listing on eBay or Craigslist, or you could use FB Marketplace if you use FB.  I'll give it the term of the listing, or a month, whichever comes first.  If no one bites then its trash or scrapyard time.  I appreciate the nostalgia, but times may well have just changed.  I remember spending hours blueprinting and rebuilding connecting rods for example.  Today no one does that because aftermarket rods are so cheap and better made that by the time you do half the work on a set of stock rods you could have just bought new ones. 

1/31/2023 4:08 PM  #18

Chaplin wrote:

So, does that mean you are passing on this fantastic, limited time only 3 for 1 deal?
LOL!

LOL

2/06/2023 6:54 AM  #19

Greg B wrote:

I just thought there might be someone out there with a 6 that doesn't want a t5. Cause those little shoebox trannys were total trash.

You could advertise them on fordsix.com.  There have been people looking for those in the past.  Or, if they're on craig's list, post a link and I can share it on the fordsix site.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/21/2023 11:55 AM  #20

If anyone is wondering what the going rate is for a 3-sp at the scrap yard, I dropped off 3 of them and got a whopping $33.  But they are out of my garage and I can buy a decent lunch, so I call that a win.

2/21/2023 1:12 PM  #21

So in keeping with the theme of Ford three speed transmissions, I have a Ford three speed shifter that needs to go somewhere where it is wanted. It came off a 68 that was swapped over to a four speed. It is the shifter assembly, lower boot, two rods and a chrome bezel. I was thinking of putting it on eBay, but don't know what it might be worth, if anything.
I also have a C4 shifter assembly out of my 65 that has the green dot. The car had a 221 with I believe was a Ford-O-Matic transmission out of a 1963 Fairlane. When my brother in law installed the 289 (C4OE-6015C 3L19) he also installed a C4 that was upgraded with a command shift valve body, so he also swapped over the shifter for that configuration. It is in pretty good shape, and I am thinking also of putting that on eBay and wonder what price if might bring. Any thoughts on this folks?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/22/2023 6:07 AM  #22

I would start by searching ebay for something similar.  Just be mindful a lot of stuff sits on eBay at exorbitant prices, so if the price seems high look at how long its been there.

2/22/2023 10:06 AM  #23

Chaplin wrote:

If anyone is wondering what the going rate is for a 3-sp at the scrap yard, I dropped off 3 of them and got a whopping $33. But they are out of my garage and I can buy a decent lunch, so I call that a win.

Within the last 2-years, I cleaned out the garage, and basement, of about 800lbs of metal, brought it to the local scrap yard and got a whopping $26.  (but, it's gone and out of the way!) 

2/22/2023 5:45 PM  #24

BobE wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

If anyone is wondering what the going rate is for a 3-sp at the scrap yard, I dropped off 3 of them and got a whopping $33. But they are out of my garage and I can buy a decent lunch, so I call that a win.

Within the last 2-years, I cleaned out the garage, and basement, of about 800lbs of metal, brought it to the local scrap yard and got a whopping $26.  (but, it's gone and out of the way!) 

Prices of scrap must have gone up. I dropped off 520lbs, including the 3 transmissions, and got a grand total of $37!

2/23/2023 6:07 AM  #25

They fluctuate.  Scrap steel doesn't usually pay very much.  I remember when it was $0.01/lb.  Aluminum at one point was $0.60/lb.  A house worth of aluminum siding would net about $1,000 in scrap.  Now the price is so low I don't even bother scrapping it.  Copper is still pretty good.  Years back it was $3.50/lb. for clean #1. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.