FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2023 4:41 PM  #1

Color question

My 69 T5 coupe is Cardinal Red, but does not show up on any 69 color charts.  The body buck even says Cardinal Red.
I tried using Candyapple Red but was not a good match. 
Anybody ever heard of Cardinal Red on a 69?   Wondering if it was export only?

On a related note… I was looking for more info when I found a walk-around video online of a red 69 T5 coupe.  Turns out, it is a video of MY CAR!  It sure looks alot better in the video!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/22/2023 5:08 PM  #2

Re: Color question

It seems to be a 1968 color... I wonder if it was originally a special order, where the Owner ordered it with that color specifically and Ford just used left over paint? What month of 1969 did your car roll off the line? Or is it an export car as you say and if it is, where is their documentation on what paint codes were offered for those?
Can you post a link to the video you spoke about?

Last edited by Toploader (2/22/2023 5:12 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

2/22/2023 5:23 PM  #3

https://youtu.be/htonIvY9TMo

Note it is no longer a six cylinder car.

2/22/2023 5:28 PM  #4

Color code T shows as Candyapple Red on 69 color charts.  Body buck says Card Red on it, but has the T paint code.

I like the Cardinal Red better than Candyapple Red. Door jambs and under trunk do look more like candyapple (darker) where original paint shows.  I am curious as to why original buck has different name. 
I may have to contact the T5 registry to see what they can offer.

2/22/2023 5:50 PM  #5

I like it better than Candy Apple red too. It's interesting, the trim around the rear window is black. On my 69 coupe, that trim is body color.

2/22/2023 5:59 PM  #6

Car is 50+ years old.  Lots of stuff has been changed over the years.

2/22/2023 6:34 PM  #7

MS wrote:

Car is 50+ years old. Lots of stuff has been changed over the years.

I wonder why the odometers on these old classics only have 6 digits instead of 7. They didn't expect the car to last over 99,999 miles....?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/22/2023 8:42 PM  #8

I love a 69 Stang....I was born in 1969 too.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/22/2023 9:02 PM  #9

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/23/2023 7:16 AM  #10

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC71-Mdqdic

this your car?

Yes, that must have been taken right after I sold it. Nine years ago.

I bought it back a couple of years ago

2/23/2023 2:10 PM  #11

I go back and forth on whether I want to spend the time and money doing my 69 coupe or if I should sell it and buy a fastback.  I never was a huge fan of the 69 coupes, but every now and then I see one, like yours, that look really good that make me think I should keep it.

2/23/2023 4:37 PM  #12

Found a calypso coral code 3 (BUTT) maybe to much orange?

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/23/2023 4:38 PM  #13

I built mine to be a bash cruiser. Alot more practical than a fastback.

2/23/2023 4:44 PM  #14

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

Car is 50+ years old. Lots of stuff has been changed over the years.

I wonder why the odometers on these old classics only have 6 digits instead of 7. They didn't expect the car to last over 99,999 miles....?

If you found a car with over 80,000 milers on it. It was considered a car destined for the junk yard or a major rebuild. Even then you had to worry about the tranny or rearend going out. I can remember cars with 50,000 miles needing a valve job on them.

Last edited by Quicksilver (2/23/2023 4:47 PM)

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/23/2023 5:01 PM  #15

I used to have a Calypso Coral Boss 302.   Exactly same color as 65 Mustang Poppy Red which, in both cases, is ORANGE. Had a 65 Poppy red also.

2/23/2023 5:59 PM  #16

Does that body buck say export to West Germany???

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

2/23/2023 7:07 PM  #17

A colour from another car line would be special order, and have a blank under paint on the door plate.
Buck tag codes were a plant specific thing, left up to the plant building the car.
It seems the CARD code is a NJ thing. There is a theory that it's an abbreviation for Candy Apple ReD
What RED denotes is anyones guess.
Have you ever found a build sheet in that car?
My guess is that it's a candy apple red car.
JMHO

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/23/2023 8:19 PM  #18

50vert wrote:

A colour from another car line would be special order, and have a blank under paint on the door plate.
Buck tag codes were a plant specific thing, left up to the plant building the car.
It seems the CARD code is a NJ thing. There is a theory that it's an abbreviation for Candy Apple ReD
JMHO

That makes good sense.  I never put CARD and candyapple red together!   Seems it got painted a brighter red later in life.

Yes, West German export.  That is what makes a T5 a T5.

2/24/2023 6:12 PM  #19

50vert wrote:

JMHO

After actually looking at the pics, I'm going with a red on red car, with power brakes and a 3 spoke rim blow wheel.
And a t5 gearbox. 

2/24/2023 6:24 PM  #20

It had a 3-speed originally. The T5 is the name of the car.  T-5 tranny did not exist in 69, but it has one in it now.  Thinking of swapping it out fir a 4R70w.

2/24/2023 6:42 PM  #21

Yeah ... that was my attempt at a funny.
I obviously need more practice.

Last edited by 50vert (2/24/2023 6:47 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.