FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2023 11:30 AM  #1

Info on the "1964 1/2" Designation

I imagine a bunch of you guys already knew this, but I certainly did not know the whole story or context.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/the-1964-andahalf-mustang-myth/

2/23/2023 1:36 PM  #2

Re: Info on the "1964 1/2" Designation

'68 Mustangs equipped with the 428 Cobra Jet are routinely called '68-1/2 since the engine wasn't available until mid year.  I'm sure there are others among other makes.  Though nothing in the VIN, title, or anything else is going to officially designate a car as a 1/2 model year I think its more common in the automotive world than Hemmings claims. 

2/23/2023 2:31 PM  #3

Interesting article... My car is one of those early models and it certainly has the differences. A May 1964 model.
I guess I had better stop calling it a 1964-1/2 🙂

Last edited by Toploader (2/23/2023 2:32 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

2/23/2023 4:37 PM  #4

I know of one difference that I have never heard discussed.
The 64-1/2 had an adjustable clutch pedal stop provision on all the pedal supports. It was a 1” long slot where the clutch pedal stop was attached. In 65-66, it was attached with a square hole for the carriage head bolt to fit into.

My 64 convertible has August 1964 build date but has an alternator.  Wonder what the cutoff date was. ?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/23/2023 5:11 PM  #5

My convertible has a 6/17/64  build date and it had a generator.

2/23/2023 8:05 PM  #6

I read that July was the end of the so called 64.5 cars.  For what that's worth.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/23/2023 8:12 PM  #7

According to Colin Date, Original Mustang, the last official 64.5 left the Dearborn or San Jose plant on July 31, 1964.  Total 64.5 production was 121,583.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/23/2023 8:20 PM  #8

Since the early cars had significant differences to the full model year '65 cars, I think calling it a '64 1/2 is useful information as long as everyone actually knows it was titled as a '65.  Regarding Toploader's car, what engine code is in your VIN?  The full model year '65 cars also had different engine codes along with the alternator.  If your engine code is not in the early list, then your car is part of the full year production.  (only my opinion)

Listen to at least the first 2 minutes of this video:

Jay points out that all Duesenbergs were built in 1928 but were titled the year they were sold.  He said this was how years were assigned by then.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

2/23/2023 10:08 PM  #9

Rufus68 wrote:

Regarding Toploader's car, what engine code is in your VIN? 

Mine is a D Code. It came with a 289, 4V, 4 speed and generator. It was built in May of 1964.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

2/24/2023 3:00 AM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

According to Colin Date, Original Mustang, the last official 64.5 left the Dearborn or San Jose plant on July 31, 1964.  Total 64.5 production was 121,583.

So the VIN on my 65 is 5R08A162910, and since I have no door data tag, then that number equates to a 65, San Jose, convertible, A code, sequential unit number 162910. I have read that the 65 unit numbers for 65 models from San Jose started with 125000. There were a total of 65,663 convertibles made in 65. So when was my car made? Or does it matter......

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/24/2023 6:15 AM  #11

I would bet that the changes were phased in.  If the cars were built at different plants on the same day they might have different equipment based on what that plant still had in stock.  Case in point, there were changes made to the 6.0 Diesel engines in mid 2005, called commonization.  My truck, despite being a '06 with a build date after the changes supposedly were in effect still had 18mm cylinder head dowels (later engines had 20mm dowels) and the small injector hold downs (T40 instead of T45), but had 4 upper head bolts (earlier had 2).  Its somewhere in the middle of commonization.  I've owned the truck since it was new, but ordered head gaskets based on the VIN and ended up with the wrong ones. 

2/24/2023 6:37 AM  #12

Ron, from In Search of Mustangs registry.
5R09K161525, and 5R07K162446, both have date code 30L, 30th Nov.
5R09K164939, has date code 17M
It doesn't seem to matter so much on this forum, more so on other sites.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/24/2023 7:26 AM  #13

Ron, before July 1965.

My 65 has a July 17, 1965 build date, “245577” sequence number.

It came with Pony interior, air conditioning and center console, power steering, 4 wheel power drum brakes, 289/C4 green dot/8” with 2.80 open differential.

It has both 65 and 66 parts on it.

65…

Original heater blower motor had a Jul 23 1965 stamp on it.

Pony door panels had April 6 1965 and February 19 1965 with “C5” engineering numbers.

Air conditioner …has driver side connections and faceplate/vents (66 are in center and different faceplate/vents).

5 gauge instrument panel (ammeter is inductive not 2 post connection “C5”).

Transmission kick down is bell crank 65 style for c4 transmission (66 has a cable).

65 emissions (PCV only, no air pump).

Early 65 style engine brackets and motor mounts

66…

2 barrel intake has “C6” engineering number casting.

289 heads have “C6” engineering numbers  (air injection ports not drilled out).

Emergency brake cables, long one piece with horseshoe equalizer (65 had two short cables).

66 style cowl and wiper arms (65 bolted on, 66 has splines).

2/24/2023 7:34 AM  #14

My couoe is a D code.....if there wasn't 3' of snow, I'd access my storage facility and check the data plate for more info and share it wit cha.....

2/24/2023 11:32 AM  #15

My 65 Fastback is a November 64 build date from the Dearborn plant
No rear seat belts (or the provisions for them)
No back-up lights
Clip-on window cranks
End clips on the wraparound Fastback trim
No dimples for dual exhaust system in floorboard under rear seat
Two-speed heater blower motor (not sure when they went to the 3-speed motor)

As I understand from people that worked in the local GM plant years ago; workers would pick parts from a parts bin next to the assembly line for the various assembly of the car, they would simply reach into the bin and grab the part needed.  When the bin go low in parts, someone would simply add more from the storage area.  So, new parts could be placed on top of the older parts, and if/when the bin got down to these older parts, they would be installed on the car regardless.  There just wasn’t any control on many parts as there were considered equivalent.  This is why some newer models have parts that should have been phased out months, or year, earlier. 
I understand these details get very sticky in a concours restoration where the car was re-assembled with the original parts found the car, but the judges say that it isn’t correct.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/24/2023 1:14 PM  #16

I wonder if you could order a Shelby with a bench seat? Probably not,as that would bring up a special designed shifter too. All though, they had to deal with the shifter handle in the GT hmm?

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/24/2023 9:55 PM  #17

MS wrote:

My 64 convertible has August 1964 build date but has an alternator. Wonder what the cutoff date was. ?

The Dearborn and San Jose factories closed for 2 weeks some time in late July or early August for the year model changeover but they were not closed for the same 2 week period. When the factories restarted after the 2 week break ALL cars received the alternator. In other words there was no phase in period as generators were used up and alternators replaced them, the change occurred the day production resumed. Likewise the engine options and the change from 5 bolt to 6 bolt 289s occurred on the first day of resumed production.

2/25/2023 7:30 AM  #18

Texas! wrote:

MS wrote:

My 64 convertible has August 1964 build date but has an alternator. Wonder what the cutoff date was. ?

The Dearborn and San Jose factories closed for 2 weeks some time in late July or early August for the year model changeover but they were not closed for the same 2 week period. When the factories restarted after the 2 week break ALL cars received the alternator. In other words there was no phase in period as generators were used up and alternators replaced them, the change occurred the day production resumed. Likewise the engine options and the change from 5 bolt to 6 bolt 289s occurred on the first day of resumed production.

Playing devil's advocate I wonder if that's actually what happened or what Ford has said happened.  Assembly lines don't stop.  If a shipment of engines, or alternators was late, even by an hour and yet there were old style engines or generators sitting that weren't supposed to be used, but hadn't been picked up yet, well, I would suppose they kept the line moving.  I've seen aberrations in vehicles made in the 2000s.  It wouldn't shock me in the least if it happened in the '60s. 

2/25/2023 10:26 AM  #19

As someone who worked in three different auto plants albeit another maunfactuerer and in the 80s and 90s, I can also tell you cars did not always run down the line in sequential numbered order.  Cars were pulled off the line to repair major defects that could not be fixed as the line was moving, and I spent most of my time in body in white, cars were pulled off to check spot weld integrity, which took time.  Basically that consisted of using a hammer and flat chisel between panels to make sure welds held up.  In my time, this was government mandated, and recorded, I can't speak to if that was done in the 60s, but seems likely.   The same  an be said for major paint defect repairs, and so on and so forth down the line till the end.  That could possibly affect running changes as to which parts got put on a car and so called "oddities" talked about over the years. 

And yes assembly lines were shut down for one to two week periods for model changeovers.  That is when a lot of the equipment maintenance work was scheduled.  There was only so much you could get done on a two day weekend.   We used to have to save some vacation days for the time off if we wanted to be paid.   Lines used to also shut down for the week between Christmas and new years, again, that maintenance thing.   Running changes usually were implemented during these times. 

Yes, sometimes old parts were just flat out taken away and scrapped or turned into service parts, and sometimes parts were just integrated into existing stock.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/25/2023 8:05 PM  #20

TKOPerformance wrote:

Texas! wrote:

MS wrote:

Playing devil's advocate I wonder if that's actually what happened or what Ford has said happened.  Assembly lines don't stop.  If a shipment of engines, or alternators was late, even by an hour and yet there were old style engines or generators sitting that weren't supposed to be used, but hadn't been picked up yet, well, I would suppose they kept the line moving.  I've seen aberrations in vehicles made in the 2000s.  It wouldn't shock me in the least if it happened in the '60s. 

The alternator equipped cars required a different wiring harness and instrument cluster than the generator cars. Do you think somebody was going to run down those parts to go with a generator so they could keep the line moving?
The 5 bolt 289 requires a different bellhousing, block plate and transmission than the 6 bolt 289. Do you think somebody was going to chase down those parts to go with a 5 bolt 289 so they could keep the line running?
Have you ever seen anybody claim they have a post August 1964 Mustang with a generator or a 5 bolt 289?
I'm saying it didn't happen. Ford had the assembly plants stocked with sufficient alternators and 6 bolt 289s when production of the so called '65 Mustang began in August 1964.

2/26/2023 7:43 AM  #21

Texas! wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Texas! wrote:

The alternator equipped cars required a different wiring harness and instrument cluster than the generator cars. Do you think somebody was going to run down those parts to go with a generator so they could keep the line moving?
The 5 bolt 289 requires a different bellhousing, block plate and transmission than the 6 bolt 289. Do you think somebody was going to chase down those parts to go with a 5 bolt 289 so they could keep the line running?
Have you ever seen anybody claim they have a post August 1964 Mustang with a generator or a 5 bolt 289?
I'm saying it didn't happen. Ford had the assembly plants stocked with sufficient alternators and 6 bolt 289s when production of the so called '65 Mustang began in August 1964.

First, I'm not saying anything did or didn't happen. 

Second, I'm aware of the differences between the two versions of the car.  The engine/trans and associated parts don't seem much of an issue as that entire subassembly was put in the car as a unit.  The wiring harness, cluster, etc. for the generator vs. alternator to me is more compelling, but it begs the question were any cars built with a 5 bolt 289 and an alternator?  Again, not saying it happened, but also not saying it didn't or couldn't have. 

Third, no, I've never personally seen or heard of one, but an absence of proof is not a proof of absence.  The only way to prove it beyond all doubt would be to have the records of all the cars built in 1965, but my understanding is that those records no longer exist.  As an example, for decades it has been speculated that there were Mustangs built with the 427 factory installed.  No one has yet been able to prove they have one, but debate about what may or may not have been listed on an options sheet for new car buyers, and what may or may not have been built or sold continue to rage. 

The whole point of this is that we often take things in the automotive world as absolutes which turn out not to be absolutes.  When I see vehicles built with equipment different than a VIN would suggest in 2005, with all the systems they have in place today to ensure accuracy; it leads me to wonder what could have happened in 1964 when they were relying on pieces of paper.  For what that's worth, I once found the build sheet in a car I was working on that turned out to be for a different car.  Same year, model, etc., but the options were different and the VIN didn't match.  Strange things happen on the line sometimes. 

2/26/2023 9:16 AM  #22

And...they don't normally scrap parts just because the plan changes.  Five bolt to six bolt, generator to alternator.  They use them up then catch up with the planned change.
Way back in the day...'70s...my friend was asked to rebuild the engine in a 1931 Model A slant windshield sedan.  The car was bough by "grandpa" and had never left the family.  It had around 60K miles on it...a lot for a stock Model A...and had never been rebuilt or had the enging out.  My friend pulled the engine and when he opened it up he discovered that the block had five cam bearing but a three bearing cam.  Ford used five cam bearing in Model A production from Nov. '27 to Feb. of '28 or so, then re-cored the blocks to only have three cam bearings.
The sedan in question was assembled right at the end of the Model A run, just as they were gearing up for the '32. 

2/26/2023 10:33 AM  #23

TKO & BB – your comments fall in line with discussions with people I know that worked in the local GM factory and some people I know that worked at Ford’s Dearborn plant. 
One guy told me that while it didn’t happen frequently, some cars being driven onto the transport trucks missed the ramps and either crashed into the truck, or rolled over.  A fork lift came out and hauling them back into the factory where who knows what happened to them.  (This was before drug and alcohol testing had started!) 

2/26/2023 2:49 PM  #24

BobE wrote:

TKO & BB – your comments fall in line with discussions with people I know that worked in the local GM factory and some people I know that worked at Ford’s Dearborn plant. 
One guy told me that while it didn’t happen frequently, some cars being driven onto the transport trucks missed the ramps and either crashed into the truck, or rolled over.  A fork lift came out and hauling them back into the factory where who knows what happened to them.  (This was before drug and alcohol testing had started!) 

I want to say driving was the greatest and easiest OT a young man could ever get.   I absolutely loved it and sucked as much of that down on the OT lists as I could get.  The older guys did not want to do it because of the endless walking.   You would get the paperwork, go out in the yard and hunt the car down from endless rows of like models.  Sometimes they were easy to find sometimes not.  Then drive it to the proper repair area and rinse and repeat.   I bought a house at 20 years old doing it.  The thought of all that walking, I'd balk at it now.   

Speaking of wrecks, I seen a few things.   I saw the carnage of a Plymouth Laser that fell off the transport truck and crushed the back.   They eventually donated it to my local college, and made a big deal out of the donation.    Ive witnessed a car body fall off the lift about 30 feet in the air onto another body.  That mess took a while to clean up!   Yeah, I've seen some things...

If you were wondering how car bodies were "removed" from the line for repair, sidework, or inspection,  there is good factory footage in this video. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzWXiK6OUw

Last edited by Greg B (2/26/2023 2:52 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/27/2023 3:23 PM  #25

Stories, I guess there are a lot of them.  Here’s another one; at the start of friend’s day shift his boss was looking at a trailer filled with new cars that were to be shipped that day and noticed a driveshaft laying on the ground.  They went over to investigate, the automatic transmission on one of the lower cars on the trailer was stolen overnight.  The boss was quite angry and was asked what he would do if they got the person, he replied “I’d hire him, any one who get that out is someone I want working for us”. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.