FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2023 9:28 PM  #1

Is anybody running a fox body serpentine setup on their Mustang.

Was considering getting one up needed to know what all to harvest and what water pump.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (3/02/2023 10:34 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/02/2023 10:10 PM  #2

Re: Is anybody running a fox body serpentine setup on their Mustang.

And timing cover and balancer.  And custom mounts for the sanden compressor

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/02/2023 10:18 PM  #3

MS wrote:

And timing cover and balancer. And custom mounts for the sanden compressor

That dont sound like a good route lol.

3/03/2023 6:08 AM  #4

Or just use the Fox compressor.  Its a good design, high efficiency, and easy to rebuild at home. 

Two things to be aware of: Fox timing covers have neither a provision for a dipstick nor a fuel pump (the EFI one anyway there may be older ones from the carb models that do). 

3/03/2023 7:26 AM  #5

I have a complete Fox 5.0 single serpentine setup on the shelf against a possible future need but I'm not sure about the timing cover.  Does the reverse rotation pump require a particular cover?  The one on the heap came from a "Standard" 5.0 which uses a clockwise rotation pump.  I had to drill it for the dip stick but that's all.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/03/2023 7:27 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/03/2023 8:08 AM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

I have a complete Fox 5.0 single serpentine setup on the shelf against a possible future need but I'm not sure about the timing cover.  Does the reverse rotation pump require a particular cover?  The one on the heap came from a "Standard" 5.0 which uses a clockwise rotation pump.  I had to drill it for the dip stick but that's all.

BB,
on my coupe which has a fox 5.0 engine and original serp setup, I purchased the timing chain cover from Late Model Restoration. Two choices for covers: part# LRS-6019BK includes gaskets and front seal.  Part# LRS-6019D is just the cover. Both covers have the dipstick hole and include a small plug to plug the roller blocks original dipstick location.

3/03/2023 8:44 AM  #7

There are several timing covers used on the 5.0.  Here's a decent site with pics and descriptions about the differences

https://support.cvfracing.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058972694-Small-Block-Ford-Tutorial

In short, yes, the reverse rotation pump uses a different timing cover, but you can get the right cover that also has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump and timing cover mounted dipstick. 

3/03/2023 10:00 AM  #8

WHY ! ?......just cause ya can ?..... Cause ya on't to !
ABDFI as the famous MS sez..........
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/03/2023 10:01 AM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/03/2023 10:21 AM  #9

Well, I'm going to do it at some point for a couple reasons. 

1.) I find the supplied Borgesson power steering pump brackets to be Mickey Mouse.  I can mount the Saginaw pump is a Fox accessory cradle with an adapter and serpentine belt pulley from Wild Horses 4x4.  This will eliminate the flex that exists in the Borgesson mounting system.
2.) I'd like to get my AC working at some point.  I want to ditch the factory compressor.  I already know how to rebuild the Fox compressors and they are relatively cheap used.
3.) I want to get rid of the intermittent belt squeal on start up from my 3G alternator.  Yes, I know there are other options here to fix this, but they don't address my other concerns vis a vis accessories and mounting. 
4.) Was going to swap to an aluminum water pump at some point anyway. might as well just use the same GMB pump I have on my '89 GT. 
5.) Along those lines I'm trying to set up my '67 and '89 so they use as many common parts as possible.  That way it reduces the number of spares I need on hand and the systems I need to know how to work on.  Both are already T5 cable clutch cars.  I'll probably put the '94-'03 Cobra brakes on the '67 I already have on the '89.  If the accessories are the same then that's just another thing in common (an alternator becomes and alternator regardless which car, etc.).  The '67 is getting a 5.0 based stroker at some point, and the '89 already has one.  If I swap the rear in the '67 I'll most likely just go to an 8.8. 

3/03/2023 11:02 AM  #10

Check out Late Model Restoration; they have info on the parts needed to covert to a a serpentine belt system.
https://lmr.com/

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/03/2023 12:30 PM  #11

Thanks guys for the good info.  Great site, Tom, I'll keep that in mind.  May never build another engine but......

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/03/2023 2:29 PM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

MS has a serpentine system on everything lol.

3/03/2023 5:19 PM  #13

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

MS has a serpentine system on everything lol.

I want to see a pic of the one on his air compressor

3/04/2023 8:29 AM  #14

TKOPerformance wrote:

Well, I'm going to do it at some point for a couple reasons. 

1.) I find the supplied Borgesson power steering pump brackets to be Mickey Mouse.  I can mount the Saginaw pump is a Fox accessory cradle with an adapter and serpentine belt pulley from Wild Horses 4x4.  This will eliminate the flex that exists in the Borgesson mounting system.

I also think that Borges on bracket looks as stupid as it sounds like it performs.   I used a bracket that came from Wild Horses for my Saginaw pump.  Back when I bought it, it was advertised as a Saginaw to small block ford bracket.   I looked on their website this morning, the bracket they have looks very similar and it says it fits both ford and Saginaw pumps.   I wonder if its the same part.  I might try to find my receipt and get the part number.   It is a nice solid bracket.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/04/2023 5:56 PM  #15

Saw this on ebay.  Wonder if it clears fuel pump

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/04/2023 10:06 PM  #16

I have stock ‘92 setup.
I had to find replacement a/c brackets (3 different brackets) as the previous owner had deleted the air pump and the a/c.  He had the p/s relocation bracket that places pump on cylinder head.

Late Model Restoration has an entire kit available now.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-10313-K/mustang-engine-accessory-bracket-kit-hardware-7993

A couple of years ago, I replaced the factory a/c compressor with the Sanden compressor to use with my Classic Auto Air daily driver a/c. It still uses the three factory brackets with additional brackets/hardware kit.

I will say that it sits lower than the factory compressor and slightly lighter in weight.

I have factory EFI, therefore I still have the ‘92 timing cover and stock style reverse rotation water pump.

Just keep in mind that you will need the tensioner, compressor, and the obligatory howling factory p/s pump.😁.  You’ll need pulleys too.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/04/2023 10:12 PM)

3/04/2023 10:09 PM  #17

MS wrote:

Saw this on ebay. Wonder if it clears fuel pump

looks like it would be close to A/C.

3/04/2023 10:11 PM  #18

Surely somebody has a better bracket and different pump.

3/05/2023 6:23 AM  #19

That really isn't much different than the Borgesson bracket.  Where both are a bad design is there is no support on the rear of the pump.  In factory GM systems there was always a second bracket that supported the rear.  The v-belt systems used a brace to the exhaust manifold.  The serpentine systems mounted the pump in a cradle like the Fox system.  These non factory setups are relying on the rigidity of the bracket and 2 bolts.  When the pump is under load it flexes the bracket, which changes the belt tension.  If so lose one of the bolts, or one backs out you're in real trouble.  Factory systems are always better because they had to go through design ad testing suitable for sale to the public covered by a warranty the manufacturer wanted the buyer to never use. 

3/05/2023 2:40 PM  #20

TKOPerformance wrote:

That really isn't much different than the Borgesson bracket.  Where both are a bad design is there is no support on the rear of the pump.  In factory GM systems there was always a second bracket that supported the rear.  The v-belt systems used a brace to the exhaust manifold.  The serpentine systems mounted the pump in a cradle like the Fox system.  These non factory setups are relying on the rigidity of the bracket and 2 bolts.  When the pump is under load it flexes the bracket, which changes the belt tension.  If so lose one of the bolts, or one backs out you're in real trouble.  Factory systems are always better because they had to go through design ad testing suitable for sale to the public covered by a warranty the manufacturer wanted the buyer to never use. 

maybe there is a way to mount the saginaw in Ford bracket.

3/05/2023 4:24 PM  #21

As has been mentioned somewhere on another thread or two, Lee has a casting that uses Saginaw innards and looks like a Ford 5.0 on the outside.  Bolts up just like the Ford 5.0 pump but is quiet and works like a Saginaw.  Josh has one and so do I and we are both happy....and, no mounting BS.  Also, we are both running Borg. boxes.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/05/2023 4:26 PM)

3/05/2023 5:12 PM  #22

3/05/2023 8:53 PM  #23

Bullet Bob wrote:

As has been mentioned somewhere on another thread or two, Lee has a casting that uses Saginaw innards and looks like a Ford 5.0 on the outside.  Bolts up just like the Ford 5.0 pump but is quiet and works like a Saginaw.  Josh has one and so do I and we are both happy....and, no mounting BS.  Also, we are both running Borg. boxes.

If only someone had a tested and true product that worked. Huh.
Yes, this is sarcasm.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/05/2023 9:11 PM  #24

So is anybody running the factory 65-66 pump on the borgeson steering head?

3/05/2023 11:04 PM  #25

Good night praying all is well I am running a factory 5.0 serpentine belt with a hole drilled in the alternator bracket for the dipstick with a 289 timing cover with a cam eccentric and a 289 pan with a crank griddle with a 5.0 P/S pump I have a fuel injection system but just in case I go back carb lol 3 year’s running a Holley Sniper on it it’s a 331 May be switching out to a factory stock 5.0 liter with a AOD with factory fuel injection only time will tell

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.