FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2023 8:45 PM  #1

Power Steering pulley on factory 65 mustang

Has anybody tried a bigger pulley on a factory ford powersteering to make it not seem so over boosted at higher speeds seems like someone said to get a 6 inch pulley off a 80-86 ford truck.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/08/2023 11:19 AM  #2

Re: Power Steering pulley on factory 65 mustang

A bigger pulley will not help.  This type of pump regulates the pressure via an integral relief valve.  When the pump reaches the set pressure of the relief valve spring it recirculates the fluid back into the pump.  This pressure is reached even at slow pumps speeds.  Borgeson pumps can be adjusted using shims that they sell.  I do not know if a Ford pump’s pressure can be adjusted, or not. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/08/2023 12:25 PM  #3

Larger diameter pulley might also rub inner fender

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/08/2023 3:50 PM  #4

Summer of 2020, I had to replace my factory 92 pump.
I think I had too short of a belt that caused the problem.

My replacement pump was a remanufactured unit as I recall.
I did notice a difference in one component inside the pump.
I believe this is the pressure relief valve in the the pump….this sets the system pressure.

It is located just under the high pressure fitting that retains the reservoir and where the high pressure hose connects.

Of course I had to investigate the differences before installing it.

I believe the washers/shims sets the system pressure for the pump.
The factory valve is all pressed together.

3/08/2023 4:01 PM  #5

My guess is that the reman shop does this so they can turn any core into any pump.  Its common for the same pump to have different pressure output based on model.  This likely allows them to bring in core pumps by the truckload, rebuild them and then just put a model specific valve in it, put it in a box, and send it out the door.  I'd bet if you tested the output pressure it would be the same from a properly working factory original to the reman. 

3/08/2023 7:02 PM  #6

MS wrote:

Larger diameter pulley might also rub inner fender

LOL

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/08/2023 9:49 PM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

My guess is that the reman shop does this so they can turn any core into any pump.  Its common for the same pump to have different pressure output based on model.  This likely allows them to bring in core pumps by the truckload, rebuild them and then just put a model specific valve in it, put it in a box, and send it out the door.  I'd bet if you tested the output pressure it would be the same from a properly working factory original to the reman. 

I will have to agree about the cores.  If you look up various different Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury applications there are different pump part numbers for the same physical outside pump.  Granted some might have SAE or Metric high pressure fittings.

If there is a listing of the various system pressures per model, that might be helpful.

In any case, I believe all Ford factory pumps will eventually develop the infamous whine we all love…design has been around since late 70’s.
Kinda like the GM belt slipping of the 70’s and 80’s. 😂

Last edited by Nos681 (3/08/2023 9:52 PM)

3/09/2023 10:03 AM  #8

Nos681 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I will have to agree about the cores. If you look up various different Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury applications there are different pump part numbers for the same physical outside pump. Granted some might have SAE or Metric high pressure fittings.

If there is a listing of the various system pressures per model, that might be helpful.

In any case, I believe all Ford factory pumps will eventually develop the infamous whine we all love…design has been around since late 70’s.
Kinda like the GM belt slipping of the 70’s and 80’s. 😂

Agreed Lt Dan. 
However, the solution to his orginal post and now a followup post, has already been given.  Foxbody brackets with the Lee p/s pump ala; foxbody style built with saginaw internals. Myself and BB are running that pump with the borgeson system and its quiet and works great. Of course, manual steering would be another option........

Last edited by josh-kebob (3/09/2023 5:47 PM)

3/09/2023 10:23 AM  #9

Soooooooooooo Bullet Bob..........
would it be "too-simple" fix to just add(or subtract) shims to that piece you showed?!
It certainly would be a cheap fix compared to retro-fitting(buying) a different pump .
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/10/2023 7:24 PM  #10

Hey Sal…it was me, not BB.

The replacement pump was for a 92 Mustang.
It was installed as received …no modifications.

I believe adding another shim would decrease the assist pressure.
An external fluid cooler would be advisable due to more bypassing.

Haven’t messed with it…yet.
I would like to know what the actual assist pressure is before making changes.

Besides, I had places to go like the Drive-In for dinner.

I have 235/40/18 all season tires on all 4 corners.
The level of assist is fine with the 16:1 factory p/s box.

I have driven it with a short belt that bypasses the p/s pump in emergency breakdown with typical manual steering effort to get home…just had to remember to steer it like a manual steering car while parking.
No big deal.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/10/2023 7:31 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.