FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2023 7:44 AM  #1

Know anything about chebbie water pumps?

This is on my 4.3L gm v6 in my boat.
The water pump is identical in appearance as one I had on the shelf from s previous boat project. Same as old classic short pump.
But, this engine has reverse rotation belt system.  Does anyone know if the gm pumps were different for standard or reverse rotation?  I know there are some pumps that work either direction, but I don’t know if this is one if them.

I bolted the pump to the engine and then got to wondering if this is going to work.  Seems that, if the impeller has straight vanes on it, it should pump either way.  Anybody know for sure?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/24/2023 7:59 AM  #2

Re: Know anything about chebbie water pumps?

It is most likely that the pumps for standard and reverse recovery continue from each other. But to be sure, you should check with your dealer or manufacturer more often to get accurate information on your engine and water-coolant models. If you have an engine serial number, you can use it to find information about the water cooling pump for your engine. This usually leads to significant results on water cooling pump installation and replacement, including how to tell the difference between standard and reverse pumps. If you don't have the ability to get accurate information about his pump, you can install a sample and see if it works in the right way. However, this can be unexpected because an incorrectly installed pump can lead to engine failure. It is best to get help from professionals who determine the right pump for your engine.

Last edited by SachinKumar (3/24/2023 8:00 AM)

3/24/2023 9:41 AM  #3

I found this Steve.

https://youtu.be/l3QUvB-hYM4

3/24/2023 12:00 PM  #4

Good rule of thumb with serpentine drive for Chevys is that if the smooth (back) side of the belt spins the water pump its reverse rotation.  If it has a ribbed pulley its standard.  That said, pretty sure the boat 4.3s were all reverse rotation. 

3/24/2023 2:15 PM  #5

I KNOW the 4.3 uses reverse rotation due to the belt configuration.  The original pump I took off is externally exactly the same as a pump of unknown application I had on the shelf.  I removed the backing plate of the original 4.3L pump and cannot see the impeller vanes due to the large plate covering the vanes.

Dan, the video you posted shows there to be a difference, so I will remove that pump and go buy another one specifically for my application, even though there is a chance the one I installed might be correct.  Just cannot see the impellers like you can in that video.

Thanks for the responses.

3/24/2023 2:41 PM  #6

Follow-up

I looked on Amazon to compare several different water pumps.  Most said they were bi-rotational.  However, I am unsure of the one I have here, so I ordered a new pump that stated it was bi-rotational.  Problem solved.  $100 spent.  Now I have a brand new pump that I already owned that is not of much use because I cannot see if it has straight or curved vanes unless I destroy it to take it apart.  Part of owning a boat, I guess.  Bust Out Another Thousand...

3/24/2023 3:07 PM  #7

MS wrote:

Follow-up

I looked on Amazon to compare several different water pumps.  Most said they were bi-rotational.  However, I am unsure of the one I have here, so I ordered a new pump that stated it was bi-rotational.  Problem solved.  $100 spent.  Now I have a brand new pump that I already owned that is not of much use because I cannot see if it has straight or curved vanes unless I destroy it to take it apart.  Part of owning a boat, I guess.  Bust Out Another Thousand...

You order some yellow plug wires and electric fan ?

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/24/2023 4:18 PM  #8

MS wrote:

Follow-up

Put the pump you're not using in the box of the pump you're using, and return it!  Sal told me to say this....

Last edited by josh-kebob (3/24/2023 4:21 PM)

3/24/2023 7:54 PM  #9

I will gladly GIVE the pump to sal so he car experiment with it on his S-10.  Let HIM determine if it s a righty or a lefty.  Just info…  same pump as chebbie used in the 60’s on v8

3/25/2023 6:15 AM  #10

MS wrote:

I KNOW the 4.3 uses reverse rotation due to the belt configuration.  The original pump I took off is externally exactly the same as a pump of unknown application I had on the shelf.  I removed the backing plate of the original 4.3L pump and cannot see the impeller vanes due to the large plate covering the vanes.

Dan, the video you posted shows there to be a difference, so I will remove that pump and go buy another one specifically for my application, even though there is a chance the one I installed might be correct.  Just cannot see the impellers like you can in that video.

Thanks for the responses.

The belt routing determines whether or not the pump needs to be reverse rotation.  My comment wasn't about your boat, I imagine you know how the belt(s) are routed on it; it was hopefully helping you identify what the pump on the shelf was for if you could remember how the belt(s) were routed on the boat which was the source of that pump.  I can't say for 4.3s specifically, but since a 4.3 is just a 3/4 350 I can say that when Chevy switched from v-belts to serpentine on the 350 they went from standard to reverse rotation water pumps.  I converted my '86 IROC from v-belt to serpentine and checked every part to verify exactly what I needed to change.  In summation, if the water pump is off a v-belt application I wouldn't use.  If it came from a serpentine belt application it should be the same. 

3/25/2023 8:11 AM  #11

Glad its coming together.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/25/2023 10:07 AM  #12

MS wrote:

Follow-up

Problem solved.  $100 spent.  …..  Bust Out Another Thousand...

You can send me the $900 …..to keep this true.😁

Hopefully it’s the last water pump that engine will need…until next winter?🥶

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.