FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2022 10:28 PM  #26

Re: Export Braces

Nos681 wrote:

The firewall also had a reinforcement welded in on the Shelby’s.

Would the “evenly spaced” export brace make it superior to the “grouped spaced” export brace?

Mine had a extra piece of metal looked like a piece of angle iron. It was n the 66 I wrecked i did not put it on the 65 I have now I wish I would have remembered.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c7zz16a052mp?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiApvebBhAvEiwAe7mHSMb1rcb3ERBJDcX8SCbDY-ZMOOlZ5k-Ee8V9YliVSBLU_V1aKlrJ1BoCm3cQAvD_BwE

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (11/23/2022 10:35 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/13/2023 7:06 AM  #27

I'm trying to get my export brace ordered and wondered what the difference is between the regular Scott Drake version and the Scott Drake Shelby version (other than price)?
Thanks.

Last edited by Toploader (3/13/2023 7:06 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/13/2023 9:59 AM  #28

What website are you looking at?  I don't see that on NPD.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

3/13/2023 10:51 AM  #29

Shelby export brace has evenly spaced holes at the firewall.  It will require drilling extra holes in your firewall pinch weld to install it.

Just get the other one, which is exact same part, but has holes drilled to fit the normal Mustang bolt pattern.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/13/2023 2:03 PM  #30

Rufus68 wrote:

I came across it when looking at various parts sites and then went to the Scott Drake site to work out what was going on. The strange thing is that they don't really tell the difference, but there is definitely a price difference.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/13/2023 2:04 PM  #31

MS wrote:

Shelby export brace has evenly spaced holes at the firewall.  It will require drilling extra holes in your firewall pinch weld to install it.

Just get the other one, which is exact same part, but has holes drilled to fit the normal Mustang bolt pattern.

Thanks MS! That is what I will do 👍

3/13/2023 4:19 PM  #32

Toploader wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

I came across it when looking at various parts sites and then went to the Scott Drake site to work out what was going on. The strange thing is that they don't really tell the difference, but there is definitely a price difference.

If you think the aftermarket price is crazy, try buying an original. But get the good one from NPD.

Last edited by Bearing Bob (3/13/2023 4:19 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/15/2023 5:16 PM  #33

If the export braces are NOT side by side,
How do ya tell the difference?

Asking for a friend.

3/15/2023 5:28 PM  #34

Nos681 wrote:

If the export braces are NOT side by side,
How do ya tell the difference?

Asking for a friend.

Spacing on a non Shelby firewall (65) Shelby spacing is evenly spaced.

whatsmyscreenresolution

Last edited by Ron68 (3/15/2023 5:30 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/15/2023 6:04 PM  #35

Sorry about that, I do understand the firewall bolt spacing.

If the “shallow” and “deep” export braces aren’t side by side, how do determine the difference?

3/15/2023 6:25 PM  #36

Deep ones have vertical edges. Cheapos look like a flattened W shape. See pics I posted of the one on my car.
The rusty chrome one is a cheapo. The black one on my 66 and 69 are the good one. The one on my 66 is a Ford original. 69 has SD concours. They are same.

3/16/2023 4:44 AM  #37

I see the difference now.
Thanks Steve.

3/16/2023 6:45 AM  #38

I see that they offer an export brace reinforcement item, which is piece of steel angle.
Is this required or recommended?
If so what are the dimensions of the steel angle? If I need one, I would prefer to make one myself from an off cut.
Thanks

3/16/2023 9:58 AM  #39

The steel angle is about 110 degree angle, not 90 like “angle iron”. 
The ones for sale now are very flimsy and not really worth the purchase price. 

They must be welded on to the area above the export brace. They can make trimming of the brace itself a requirement to get the export brace to fit.
If you look closely at the white Shelby NOS281 posted above, you can see the brace welded to the cowl.

If your cars is still not painted, by all means you can make a suitable one yourself, but it is not a necessary thing to have.  If I ever do a rotisserie resto on a car I might install one, but have never done so with over 40 Mustangs under my belt, and they ALL had export braces.

3/16/2023 2:21 PM  #40

Thanks MS, that is good to know! I will follow your lead on this one and leave it out.
I never knew the reinforcement piece was 110deg, so thanks for the heads up on that.

3/23/2023 4:54 AM  #41

I finally got the export brace and will fit it as soon as I get a free morning.
Couple of questions though...

1. What do people typically do with the original bracket stubs?
Cut them off or leave them? If people typically cut them off, does anyone have some instructions on how to do this? I think there are a couple of welds?

2. I saw someone say that they fitted their export brace over the top of the original Ford braces. This never occurred to me, but I'm not sure if it would work or how it would look? Any opinions?

3/23/2023 5:58 AM  #42

You will find a discussions about this over on VMF.  I have a 68 so I didn't have any stubs to remove; however, I remember it is recommended to remove the stubs.  I remember reading that some simply put a chisel under them and after a few strikes the stubs popped off.  For them the welds were not substantial.  You might test the welds before drilling them out.  And yes, I read where many bolted the export brace over the stubs..

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

3/23/2023 9:14 AM  #43

I removed mine, but I did not drill the spot welds.  I simply ground through the brackets until the spot welds were paper thin.  The. I pried them off. Finished up with a flapper wheel to smooth out the remainder of the welds. You can not tell they were ever there.

There is no structural reason to remove them, but if you wind up with a foxbody v8 brake booster and a double piston master cylinder, the driver side brace will be in the way.  Plus it just looks cleaner.

3/23/2023 1:31 PM  #44

MS wrote:

I removed mine, but I did not drill the spot welds. I simply ground through the brackets until the spot welds were paper thin. The. I pried them off. Finished up with a flapper wheel to smooth out the remainder of the welds. You can not tell they were ever there.

I did the same on my 65 as MS, once smoothed over, you couldn’t tell they were ever there. 
I did find that the export brace didn’t line up with exactly with the shock tower bolts.  However, when I jacked up the car via the side-to-side brace under the engine (engine/trans removed), it fell right into place on those bolts.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/23/2023 1:37 PM  #45

Thanks Rufus, MS and BobE 👍
I will get rid of the stubs. I will need to figure out the best way to remove them, as I don't want to mess up the paintwork on the car. A grinder with sparks going everywhere doesn't sound appealing.

Last edited by Toploader (3/23/2023 1:38 PM)

3/23/2023 2:11 PM  #46

Toploader wrote:

I will get rid of the stubs. I will need to figure out the best way to remove them, as I don't want to mess up the paintwork on the car. A grinder with sparks going everywhere doesn't sound appealing.

A flapper wheel would be my choice over a grinding wheel.  And a moving blanket will protect things if you go this route.

3/23/2023 5:18 PM  #47

One tip I might add is to not drill out any of the holes for the bolts to fit. These cars have sagged over the years, some guys support the front under the torque box area with jack stands for a day or so. Or they use a port a power between the shock towers before the holes will line up.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/26/2023 7:54 AM  #48

Rufus68 wrote:

Toploader wrote:

A flapper wheel would be my choice over a grinding wheel.  And a moving blanket will protect things if you go this route.

I have several old towels that I use to protect paint and use as fender covers, just saying.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.