FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2023 4:26 PM  #1

How to install "Speed Hut" gauges intto a 1967 dash cluster.

Hi guys, This will be a step by step presentation on installing new gauges in a 67 Mustang dash. The idea of doing this came years ago when I first saw Elenore type dash clusters with white gauges. I thought they looked pretty cool and I had to have something like that. So the brain got it in gear and Years later this is what I came up with. First thing I did was get a hold of an old dash with gauges in it. A 1967 dash was bought cheep on E-bay. Next came the purchase of the gauges. I already had a set of AutoMeter stuff so I started with those. I soon found out they weren't going to work. They were just to big and bulky to fit back into the dash . That's  when I found out about SpeedHut gauges. They were the perfect fit and as far as depth wise they were made for a dash like mine. They were soon here and they fit better than I expected. The speedhut co. will make the gauges any way you want from the needles to the colors to the type of setup you can think of. They are there to help in getting the right set for you. Enough advertising on to the "How to part".

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

4/02/2023 5:03 PM  #2

Re: How to install "Speed Hut" gauges intto a 1967 dash cluster.

Well guys they say pictures are worth a thousand words so until I can figure out how to load pictures from a different part of my puter  I guess the whole thing is on hold for now, I am sorry!

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

4/11/2023 9:29 AM  #3

Needless to say there are plenty of videos on u-tube that show you how to remove the 67 dash panel so I won't bother with that part. However mine was a real booger to get out! The culprit was the left side of the left side of the dash pad.[url][IMG=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/923/lFnpxU.jpg][/IMG][/url]

4/11/2023 6:31 PM  #4

[IMG=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/924/ol5bK0.jpg][/IMG]

Be sure not to forget the small stud and bolt on the right backside of the dash.  (5/16") deep socket will do it.

4/11/2023 7:01 PM  #5

Next, I decided to make a pattern of the back of the dash part. I got a piece of heavy file paper and traced the back side of the dash gauge area. Then I got a hold of a 1/8 inch piece of hard plastic (any hobby or craft store should have what you need)[url][IMG=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/923/Z5hXj5.jpg][/IMG][/url] and traced my pattern onto it. You should be able to cut the  pattern out with a scroll saw and shape it with a round small 2 1/2" multi pad sanding disk and a couple of files for the finishing touches. It took me a little bit of time, Butt I finely got it how I wanted it.

4/11/2023 7:16 PM  #6

After I test fitted the gauges into the dash I noticed the large tach and speedometer had quite a gap that was the size of your thumb and would have been very noticeable. So I made a trip down to the hardware store and found a perfect size 4" black pipe (in the plumbing dept.) and some 5 minute epoxy.[url][IMG=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/922/PBINNK.jpg][/IMG][/url]

4/11/2023 7:28 PM  #7

This shows the paper pattern made to fit the back side of the dash the way I wanted it.
[IMG=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/922/qBxDE2.jpg][/IMG]

4/11/2023 7:44 PM  #8

This shows the large gap between the large gauges and the dash bezel.
[IMG=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/923/aDwKDo.jpg][/IMG]

4/14/2023 10:57 AM  #9

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/557x418q70/r/923/AjwWLw.jpg

Next is to cut the 4 inch spacer, which can be done witth a chopsaw and at least a 60 tooth blade. You have to cut the tube very slowly and keep it as smoothly to keep is from shattering

4/14/2023 11:32 AM  #10

You can go ahead and smooth the edges if needed from the cut off. Then it is time to glue them in. You only have to use a very small amout of epoxy to glue the pieces into place. Be sure to  only glue the outer edge of the pipe to avoid any oozing out towards the center. Make sure you have it perfectly in the center because with that epoxy you only have one chance at placement. After that is just a matter of placeing the gauges in place and screwing the whole thing together. Now also you might want to r&r the old cardboard light enclosures. I replaced all my factory lights with  LED lights I found on e-bay #AMS056101 in green, blue, red, white lights. They are much more brighter for sure!

4/14/2023 12:09 PM  #11

The finished results! I think with a little patience it turned out pretty cool. One note though, the factory used the old backside for a ground. So the whole dash has to be grounded. I plan on doing a "how to" later on as far as the wireing goes. Looks like it will kinda??? be easy except for the speedometer part. Not sure how it will work out. The LED's are diodes so you have to reverse the "bright light wires" The signals are grounded by the outer little ring part on the socket and will have to be grounded also.
[IMG=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/923/trKuze.jpg][/IMG]
[IMG=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq70/922/kPtJPS.jpg][/IMG]

4/14/2023 12:21 PM  #12

Also I will add more info as I think to. Probably should spread a small bead of silicone on the threads of the gauges to keep them from rattling loose.

4/14/2023 12:24 PM  #13

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer if I can!   Just drop me a DM on the inbox here. Sorry about the pictures, Still couldn't get it to work & post right.  Had to end up with a years subscription to Image Shack in order to post!
RW

Last edited by Quicksilver (4/14/2023 12:30 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.