FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2023 9:34 AM  #26

Re: Who is running a sniper EFI or other TBI type setup?

TKOPerformance wrote:

All kind of academic, but the point is that the runner length difference is typically less (shorter runners) and the flow runner to runner more balanced in a single plane.  With a TBI the closer you can get the TBI to the ports the closer it is to port EFI. 

While you are not wrong about runner length and atomization that is not why TBI "requires" an open plenum.  It has to do with the direction of the spray, batch firing, and the firing order.  If the problems associated with TBI and a dual plane intake were related to runner length a 1" open spacer would not fix the issue, but it does every time even though it lengthons the runner.  It's fuel distribution.  Obviously multiport injection is better and if this was a 302 I would be set but I can not find a multi port injection intake for a 351W that is not either extremely expensive or way to tall.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/22/2023 10:20 AM  #27

In regards to the "close hood clearance".....have you ruled out maybe dropping the engine lower with custom mounts?! That would solve the clearance issue once and for all........
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/22/2023 1:56 PM  #28

I am running a 331 Stroker with a performer 289 intake with performer rpm heads stage 2 trick flow cam no problems but I do have a phenolic spacer I use to keep the ecu on the throttle body from getting hot that part is just in my head it may be able to take the heat

4/23/2023 6:30 AM  #29

Daze wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

All kind of academic, but the point is that the runner length difference is typically less (shorter runners) and the flow runner to runner more balanced in a single plane.  With a TBI the closer you can get the TBI to the ports the closer it is to port EFI. 

While you are not wrong about runner length and atomization that is not why TBI "requires" an open plenum.  It has to do with the direction of the spray, batch firing, and the firing order.  If the problems associated with TBI and a dual plane intake were related to runner length a 1" open spacer would not fix the issue, but it does every time even though it lengthons the runner.  It's fuel distribution.  Obviously multiport injection is better and if this was a 302 I would be set but I can not find a multi port injection intake for a 351W that is not either extremely expensive or way to tall.

I didn't say runner length was the only advantage to a single plane.  I don't know that strictly speaking all TBIs requires an open plenum, a lot of it depends on design.  If you have two injectors and they fire bank to bank you could isolate each half of the engine and it should be fine, provided the fueling to both banks is essentially equal.    Practically, I think the open plenum serves a couple purposes.  If the injectors are not perfectly balanced, or the manifold doesn't flow balanced to both halves of the engine the open plenum allows one side to give and the other to take.  The plenum divider may also provide a hard surface too close to the injectors whereby the injectors are spraying fuel directly onto the divider and liquid fuel is dripping down the divider and pooling in the intake.  Then, depending on exactly how the elecronic side of the system works, you are going to likely need an MAP sensor and that vacuum source is best coming from an area common to the entire engine.  If you were running Alpha N it wouldn't matter, but the only guys I've ever seen run that are racers.  Every TBI system I've experience with is speed density and uses a MAP sensor. 

As for not being able to find a port EFI manifold for the 351, make one.  All you need to do is weld some injector bungs into an appropriate manifold.  Still can't find a single plane intake that fits under the hood?  Make one.  Come on Daze, I like watching you build stuff I don't have time to build. 

4/23/2023 9:38 AM  #30

TKOPerformance wrote:

As for not being able to find a port EFI manifold for the 351, make one.  All you need to do is weld some injector bungs into an appropriate manifold.  Still can't find a single plane intake that fits under the hood?  Make one.  Come on Daze, I like watching you build stuff I don't have time to build. 

The torker II will fit I just don't want to give up the low-end torque for an extra 1000 RPMs on the top end that I am not going to use.  The "recipe" to the soup that is this 393 has been very carefully planned out from heads, cam and rear end/transmission ratios and the torker does not quite fit into that.  As to modifying a dual plane I hatched a plan some time ago to do just that by using an OEM efi intake as a template to drill holes in the carb manifold that way I can use an OEM rail.  If I do that I will turn bungs for the injectors on the lathe to fit in and then weld them in.  We will see.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/23/2023 2:46 PM  #31

You probably know this already, but if you continue to use batch fire you can use most of the same electronics, etc. from the TBI setup with port EFI.  That's basically what the TPI was.  It fires one bank of injectors then the other.  Edelbrock used to make a system that did basically the same thing for TBI trucks.  I had one on my K5 at one point. 

4/24/2023 9:19 AM  #32

When I was running my Fitech I had a Weiand Stealth dual plan and it worked great!  I was having electronic issues with mine and decided to go back with a Carburetor. 

Last edited by Steve69 (4/24/2023 9:19 AM)

4/24/2023 3:32 PM  #33

With all of this mumbo jumbo we used to just bolt a carb on and go, thats what TBI did with some nice added features. Is it that important to worry about runner lengths unless you are trying to count ETs out on the track. 
I mean realy how many of us have burned up a engine due to the intake not performing. Just seams to me if this was such a concern all intakes would have already been made equal. 

Last edited by Cab4word67 (4/24/2023 3:37 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/24/2023 5:33 PM  #34

Go to Holly's website and the Sniper forum. That should provide you with intake recommendations and options of which one to use. As an added bonus, you can also read a plethora of posts from those who have had are are still having issues with this system. Best of luck to ya....

4/25/2023 1:32 AM  #35

First I would find out how tall your intake manifold is (don’t believe what Edelbrock tells you). Put a straight edge on the carb pad and measure down to the China rails in the front and back. Add the two numbers together and divide by 2 to get the average pad height. You can do this in the car but you have to take the carb off and the distributor out.
Make sure you have the air cleaner of your choice and any spacers and gaskets in place, then use Play Doh on top of the air cleaner to measure the distance to the hood. Do this in at least four places at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock. My problem is that on my 69 Mach the hood scoop bolts/nuts get in the way (non shaker, stock fake hood scoop).
Now you’re ready to compare to the Edelbrock carb pad height specs. I found my Ford manifold was only 3.000” tall and there are nine Edelbrock manifolds available for my 351W. The shortest Edelbrock starts at 4.07” and the tallest is 7.08”. On three different occasions they told me different manifolds were the same height as the stock Ford, but theirs were ALL considerably taller. You can only trust the numbers for their pad height, not what they say about the Ford manifold.
You can see that if you subtract the Ford manifold height from the Edelbrock number, they will be taller from 1.07 to 4.08”. Now compare the distance from the air cleaner to the hood (2.016” in my case) to how much taller the Edelbrock manifold is. In my case I found that there is only one manifold that would actually fit under the hood with my air cleaner and spacer, and that was the shortest, which was the 2181 Performer.
FYI, carbs are typically 3.25” tall and the Sniper TBI is just a little taller at 3.28”.

4/25/2023 9:11 AM  #36

Another consideration to keep in mind is the location of the carb pad…front to rear placement.

4/25/2023 10:23 AM  #37

Cab4word67 wrote:

With all of this mumbo jumbo we used to just bolt a carb on and go, thats what TBI did with some nice added features. Is it that important to worry about runner lengths unless you are trying to count ETs out on the track. 
I mean really how many of us have burned up an engine due to the intake not performing. Just seams to me if this was such a concern all intakes would have already been made equal. 

You are totally missing the point its not about runner length or track times.  TBI has issues on a dual plane intake.  Yes it self tunes but it is tuning to a bank of cylinders and a dual plane intake WILL create unbalanced cylinders unless you use a spacer or mill down the center wall.  Yes yours is running "well"  but that does not mean it is running correctly or balanced.  I asked this question because there is a big difference in low end torque between a dual plane intake and a single plane intake, I would prefer the dual plane BUT there are known issues running TBI on a dual plane that I am trying to avoid.

4/25/2023 1:10 PM  #38

The problem with running a tbi system with a dual plane intake seems to me that wherever you put the map sensor you can only read one side of the engine.   This is why the air gap manifold was created.   Solve it at home by milling a half inch out of your center divider OR find a way to use a 1/2" open spacer.  You don't need much, just a way to equalize the pressures to keep the sensor happy.

This will stop the surging some people trying to run tbi experience.   

Mill 1/2".  I guarantee it will run great.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/25/2023 3:54 PM  #39

From what I’ve read, and seen on “Engine Masters”, is that the only way to avoid cylinder lean/rich differences is with the port injection system that the individual injectors are controlled by an O2 sensor on each cylinder exhaust pipe. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/25/2023 4:31 PM  #40

Some 4150 throttle bodies have a port that is common to both plenums.

4/25/2023 6:51 PM  #41

I've "read"...where the "issues" of single plane intakes are slightly sluggish performance 'down low' RPM  butt....best performance in the upper RPM range  6/7-ish grand.
Welp..(tnx RPM)...
I've also "read" for some unknown reason...SBF do NOT have the low RPM issues Shivel-layz and others have. They actually perform equal to or BETTER than dual plane intakes...even in lower RPM's.
The reason no one hardly uses them on street engines is because "the proz" (who test everything on Shivel-layz only!) claim it.
My guy Joe Sherman (RIP) disputed their statements on a 289 build he made that kicked out 400 HP...streetable HP.
(His interpretation of streetable!) He used a single plane WITH a 2" open spacer ...(and said hood clearance is up to the builder)
Soooooo Daze...I would go with the single plane/360 intake and not look back....for a coupla reasons
You got BIG cubes
You got wayyy better flowing heads
You got FI that's "suppose" to make better power down low.
You got T-5 tranny to improve low RPM grunt
You got plenty of "nogg'in" to figger-it-out if it does run less than great.
End of discussion(s'all I got)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/25/2023 7:54 PM  #42

Sniper EFI with the matching Hyper distributor…

Been there, dun that

Went into the trash, back to carb now.  Got a bunch of spare EFI parts n little widgets still in the original boxes if anyone wants them.

I’m stuck with a 56-psi Tanks Inc gas tank that is re-routed for stock manual pump.

What an education! It was a $2K EFI “ow-ie” and several tow truck rides courtesy of AAA to love the horrible smell of my Holley 650 and MSD again.

Y’all have fun and enjoy the journey!

4/25/2023 8:03 PM  #43

You can use a dual plane intake. My Edelbrock Performer RPM was no problem.

But! … Cut a 1” relief into the divider beneath the carb. This allows the EFI charge to mix properly before heading down the runners to the cylinders. If you try to substitute a 1” open spacer, the engine is not as smooth. Can’t explain why, but I did it both ways and know what works.

Paul

4/28/2023 10:40 PM  #44

You guys are all right on most everything, but I dont understand why the EFI would be any diferent than a carb with a dual plane intake? its fuel and air. What am I missing

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/28/2023 11:13 PM  #45

Cab4word67 wrote:

You guys are all right on most everything, but I dont understand why the EFI would be any diferent than a carb with a dual plane intake? its fuel and air. What am I missing

The problem in this case and similar is the map sensor and how this type of setup functions.  Day was already on to the solution.

https://www.delphiautoparts.com/en-us/resource-center/article/making-sense-of-your-sensors-map-sensor

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/28/2023 11:21 PM  #46

Could system fuel pressure have an effect on idle characteristics?

Above idle, there’s probably enough air flow to mix with high pressure fuel spray.

Perhaps that why port efi evolved…in addition to emission regulations.

4/29/2023 6:16 AM  #47

Higher pressure atomizes the fuel better.  Atomized fuel burns more completely, so in theory you are using less fuel and creating fewer hydrocarbon emissions.   Port EFI is just an electronic version of mechanical injection, which existed for decades before the electronics got good enough to allow EFI to be realistic and reliable.  I don't have an exact date, but my guess is that in the '20s or '30s some genius like Cord, Chrysler, etc. figured out that you got more power. better economy, and better running by being ale to tailor the mixture in each cylinder.  The only way to do that at the time was one barrel per cylinder.  It was race stuff then, but was on production cars at least by the '40s.  Mechanical injection evolved out of that idea, and EFI evolved from mechanical injection. 

I actually got to watch the Engine Masters show last night on sequential vs. batch fire.  Pretty interesting that batch fire initially made better power, but even once balanced they were making only a tiny amount more power with sequential, and this on a 700+ HP engine.  Then they went into individual cylinder trims and found they could correct the A/F ratio in lean or rich cylinders, but it made no difference in power.  Consensus was that those trims served to keep a nitrous or forced induction engine alive, rather than create more power by more precise fueling.  The only thing they didn't test, and I think its lack gave an incomplete picture, was efficiency, which would have been easy as all dynos can measure and record BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption), which measure efficiency.  They also didn't look at emissions. 

Obviously there is a benefit to sequential EFI or the OEMs wouldn't spend the money to run it.  If its not in power it must be in fuel economy and/or emissions. 

As far as idle goes there's a couple things going on with EFI vs. a carb.  First, yes, higher pressure and better atomized fuel would clean up the idle over fuel falling out of suspension, going liquid, and dripping off the runner walls into the cylinders.  Second, moving the point of fuel introduction to the port shortens the runner down which the fuel must travel also serving to keep it in suspension.  Third, and this is a big one, EFI engines tend to have much wider LSA cams.  This is necessary to create a more stable vacuum signal for the MAP, and allow the electronics to make sense of things.  That engine on Engine Masters had a cam with a 115 degree LSA, whereas a carb engine making the same power would likely be on a 110 or 108 LSA.  Less overalp all things being equal is going to clean up the idle by reducing reversion.  Lastly, an EFI engine has the ability to directly change idle speed at any time via the IAC.  Its ability to self learn and monitor the idle is going to naturally be better than whatever setting to which a carb is tuned, because that remains static in the face of temperature, air density, etc. 

4/29/2023 11:50 AM  #48

TKO - thanks for this info.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/29/2023 2:41 PM  #49

Cab4word67 wrote:

If you look back at my post #4 in this thread, I linked an article that described the difference being associated with the 2 pair of sequentially firing cylinders.  With the dual plane manifold and a carburetor, the second cylinder has a reduced vacuum signal that affects the charge provided by the carb whereas the EFI does not rely on a vacuum signal to provide the charge.  The article says it better. (oh, and this is at low engine speed... at higher RPMs the issue goes away)

Last edited by Rufus68 (4/29/2023 2:42 PM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

5/06/2023 1:24 PM  #50

Not to reignite some of the debates here, but I've noticed the RPM air gap dual plane manifolds are now coming with the divider machined down in the middle.  

EDIT: Looks like the 351w pictures show no cut out, what the heck?

Last edited by Raymond_B (5/06/2023 1:27 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.