FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2023 2:09 PM  #1

1968 Mustang with a 390 S-Code - Cast Iron Bell Housing

I had a customer call who has an S-code 390 68 Mustang who had put in the MS cable clutch setup.  He's ran across a problem.  The bellhousing is cast iron.  Has anyone found an aluminum bell housing that can be used with the 390 and a T5?

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

4/25/2023 3:15 PM  #2

Re: 1968 Mustang with a 390 S-Code - Cast Iron Bell Housing

So, what is the problem?   Welding the cable housing stop outside the bellhousing? He can always make a stop and bolt or rivet it to the bellhousing.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/26/2023 5:11 AM  #3

Honestly putting a T5 behind a 390 is asking for trouble unless its built.  Unless he's never going to hammer on it.  Otherwise its a blown 3rd gear waiting to happen. 

4/28/2023 6:00 AM  #4

Quick Time bellhousing makes one

Sorry I missed the word aluminum, quick time is steel.

Last edited by wsinsle (4/30/2023 8:39 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/06/2023 1:49 PM  #5

TKOPerformance wrote:

Honestly putting a T5 behind a 390 is asking for trouble unless its built.  Unless he's never going to hammer on it.  Otherwise its a blown 3rd gear waiting to happen. 

X2 on this. I don't see a T5 living long behind a 390 with any type of spirited driving. 

My Quicktime came with a bung for a cable clutch..... it got cut off because it interfered with the headers. 

I have heard of guys with aluminum FE bell housings that were 60's racing parts. Would likely be tough to find and expensive when you did.  

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/06/2023 2:29 PM  #6

Look on ebay! Type in "390 Ford Aluminum" scroll about 3/4 down the page There is one for 250.00 + 30.00 shipping.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

5/06/2023 2:50 PM  #8

That's cheaper than I thought it would be.

The next thing to be aware of is the depth. The Mustang FE bell housings were shallower than some of the other car lines and trucks by about 7/16".  

5/06/2023 4:49 PM  #9

Bolted to Floor wrote:

That's cheaper than I thought it would be.

The next thing to be aware of is the depth. The Mustang FE bell housings were shallower than some of the other car lines and trucks by about 7/16".  

Is there any way to compensate for the difference?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/06/2023 7:10 PM  #10

Spacers are made to go between trans and bell if the bell is too shallow for the input shaft.
Some guys with some machinist capabilities have shortened the input shaft.
And to contradict the two previous options, others have talked about taking really good measurements to determine there was adequate room if the pilot bushing recess was deep enough for the pilot bushing to move deeper in the crank.

5/07/2023 7:11 AM  #11

I would be real skeptical of machining an input shaft.  I can't say for sure on the T5, but a lot of gears and shafts in a manual trans are surfaced hardened.  The depth of that hardness is not very thick, and any appreciable machining would cut right through it rendering the part weaker than stock.  A stock T5 input shaft is only 10 spline and considered weak as is (upgrades go to a 26 spline for added strength).  If even contemplating such a move I would call Bob Hanlon and ask him if its a good idea.  He's a T5/Tremec guru, but he's also a machinist.  If anyone would know if this is safe it would be Bob. 

5/07/2023 8:17 AM  #12

The 390 toploader input shaft is the larger diameter big block size but the shaft is shorter than a small block as I recall.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.