FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2023 7:31 AM  #1

New Radiator

I've been thinking about getting a Champion aluminum radiator for my '67 302 auto air. I read some reviews online that caused me some concern - poor quality, shoddy welding, bad customer service, etc. Understanding that things posted online are "just maybe" inaccurate I thought I would ask the folks without a dog in the fight. Any experience with Champion? Would I be making a mistake? Thanks for any input.
Rick Wall

5/26/2023 7:42 AM  #2

Re: New Radiator

You just cannot get the degree of champion UGLY with any other radiator.
I prefer one that resembles the look and shape of a factory unit.
Champion put the CH in cheapo

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/26/2023 8:42 AM  #3

Yeah, yeah they are not as pretty as a 1000 $ Griffin but we are all not millionaires.
As far as functioality is concerned the Champion rad works as good as any other one on the market and a helluva lot cheaper.
My  24 " three row Champ has been installed for about ten years with absolutely no issues. Its problem for me  was at the time no shrouds were available and i had to fab one.
Since I got mine there are a few that came out with  pretty stamped tanks at reasonable prices, I have no expirience witha any of them.
An O/E style brass/copper tank is also an option, you should be able to fit one in your car with a few tweaks.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/26/2023 8:51 AM  #4

In my 65, I have an aluminum radiator: Summit SUM-380461, which is made by 'Northern', # 5030P.
I have A/C and have had no issues with this radiator. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/26/2023 9:08 AM  #5

Money is the reason why the ugly 24" rad in the 67. The bad part was cutting the perfectly good rad support to fit, but it was necessary. I painted it black to feel better.

I should add that I did use a big block shroud and top rad holders with some work to draw attention away from the ugly. 

Last edited by red351 (5/26/2023 9:17 AM)

5/26/2023 9:46 AM  #6

You don’t have to pay big bucks or be a millionaire to do it right. These on ebay work great and are priced right.  They make them with inlet on passenger side for 65-69 and driver side for 1970.  Proper original style brackets and fan shrouds are readily available.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/26/2023 10:35 AM  #7

I installed a 24 inch four row Champion and had no issues until it developed a pinhole leak on one of the tubes. I paid about $125 for that radiator. I installed a Champion three row radiator about 3 years ago and still working fine. If money is an issue, I would not hesitate to install a Champion.

If you want to repair it or use it for mock up, you can have my old four row Champion. I also have a big block radiator with a similar pinhole leak that you can have.

5/26/2023 11:32 AM  #8

MS wrote:

You don’t have to pay big bucks or be a millionaire to do it right. These on ebay work great and are priced right.  They make them with inlet on passenger side for 65-69 and driver side for 1970.  Proper original style brackets and fan shrouds are readily available.

Nice looking rad, good price as well.
I would have opted for that if it was available when I got the Champ. Still  . . . . no regrets.🤪

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/26/2023 2:15 PM  #9

I looked at their 67 small block radiator earlier.   It says it has a stamped tank as well, but it looks nothing like the big block.   But it does seem to look better than the squared off tanks. 

I modified my core to use the 1967 small block radiator.  Its a couple few inches wider.

Nice price, too.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/26/2023 5:23 PM  #10

I still have the copper and brass radiator in mine and have no intention of going to aluminum.
I figure that if I have issues, I will get mine repaired or re-cored.

Last edited by Toploader (5/26/2023 5:24 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.