FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2023 10:40 AM  #26

Re: Re-drilling new axle hubs - DIY or machine shop?

The bottom line is you have to supply several critical pieces of info when ordering axles.

Axle length
Spline count
Flange diameter
Hole in the flange for bolt access
Indexing hub diameter
Bearing size
Brake gap
Stud pattern/hole size.

Failure to be sure you are ordering every one of those items to fit your requirements will typically result in getting an axle that does not fit your application

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/29/2023 6:15 AM  #27

The greatest mistake was pressing the bearings on before verifying that the axles were right.  Over the years I've ended up with so much stuff that was wrong that I now take nothing for granted.  On axles I would check that the splines fit into the diff, that the bolt pattern was right, that the drum or disc fit the hub, etc., etc. before doing anything with them.

I don't think Yukon is saying the parts old on Amazon are not theirs.  I think they are saying that they are no responsible for how a third party listed their parts on Amazon, and frankly they're right.  However, if the info on their website and the Amazon site are exactly the same you may have a case, as it would appear the Amazon site just copied theirs. 

A final option would be to talk to your credit card company, assuming that's how you paid.  The only downside there is you don't want your method of payment blacklisted in the event they refund your money.

5/29/2023 6:57 AM  #28

MS wrote:

The bottom line is you have to supply several critical pieces of info when ordering axles.

Axle length
Spline count
Flange diameter
Indexing hub diameter
Bearing size
Brake gap
Stud pattern/hole size.

Failure to be sure you are ordering every one of those items to fit your requirements will typically result in getting an axle that does not fit your application

I had a 9” housing shortened and a new set of axles to fit the shortened housing by Moser a few years ago. The housing width was correct, but the axles sent were for the original housing’s width.  I called Moser, they checked the build sheet, agreed it was their error, and paid for the shipping return, and for the shipping of the proper axles.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/29/2023 10:33 AM  #29

BobE wrote:

MS wrote:

Axle length
Spline count
Flange diameter
Indexing hub diameter
Bearing size
Brake gap
Stud pattern/hole size.

I had a 9” housing shortened and a new set of axles to fit the shortened housing by Moser a few years ago. The housing width was correct, but the axles sent were for the original housing’s width.  I called Moser, they checked the build sheet, agreed it was their error, and paid for the shipping return, and for the shipping of the proper axles.

I had the same experience, Moser made a mistake on the brake offset, but they were awesome and made it right. 

To the OP remember you also have Amazon you can contact, these axles were not described correctly so if the vendor themselves is not willing to work with you Amazon usually will step in if they have to.

Good luck, sorry this turned out to be such a PITA.

5/29/2023 10:58 AM  #30

I looked at the Amazon Yukon store website.   It looks as if they sell axles to fit stock rears as if they were on the original car.   Before we blame them... way more info would be needed.  'Jus sayin.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/29/2023 11:01 AM  #31

Greg B wrote:

I looked at the Amazon Yukon store website. It looks as if they sell axles to fit stock rears as if they were on the original car. Before we blame them... way more info would be needed. 'Jus sayin.

Agreed, but the axles came with a 5x5.5 truck bolt pattern, seems like there's no way they could ever be for a Mustang.

5/29/2023 2:36 PM  #32

Any company can make a mistake. It happens.
It’s what the company does to fix it that tells you their character.

5/29/2023 3:47 PM  #33

Greg B wrote:

I looked at the Amazon Yukon store website.   It looks as if they sell axles to fit stock rears as if they were on the original car.   Before we blame them... way more info would be needed.  'Jus sayin.

Since Lovetoflyguy didn't say, I'd expect him to have stock axles.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/29/2023 4:35 PM  #34

I thought I remember him posting something about a smooth rear 9".   To me that suggests early Ford rear. 

I assumed its a mod job.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/29/2023 4:39 PM  #35

Greg B wrote:

I thought I remember him posting something about a smooth rear 9". To me that suggests early Ford rear.

I assumed its a mod job.

Yes he did, early model Ford "big car" 9" rears were a popular bolt in for Mustang's when you could find them.

5/29/2023 9:18 PM  #36

Raymond_B wrote:

Here's the deal, this isn't just about the bolt pattern. Truck's that have a 5x5.5" bolt pattern also have a pretty big brake register and a larger brake offset. You can re-drill all day long, but if those other measurements are wrong the axles won't work. I recently ordered a set of Moser axles for my truck and had to take all those measurements so all that is fresh in my mind. Here's the Moser order form, what I would verify is A and B for sure. https://www.moserengineering.com/sites/www.moserengineering.com/files/New-Orderform-w4-link_1.pdf

Thanks for the link.

The biggest problem I have is that I don't have the axles that came out of my 9" housing, and to complicate things further, the housing has been shortened by 2" and I'm installing disc brakes from a Crown Vic.
I pulled the original 8" rear end and measured everything up as well as I could - here's a diagram of my measurements (full size image here):

5/29/2023 9:29 PM  #37

I think it would be a good idea for you to visit Moser or Strange web site to see where pertinent rear end measurements are taken. I can see how a supplier would be confused if those diagrams were presented.

Looks like your small bearing 9” would come close to being able to use stock 8” axles from a 65-66 tear end.
You need to know what brake gap your crown vic brakes require.

5/29/2023 10:04 PM  #38

Here's a few photos - hopefully the photo uploader works:

5/30/2023 8:02 AM  #39

TKOPerformance wrote:

The greatest mistake was pressing the bearings on before verifying that the axles were right.  Over the years I've ended up with so much stuff that was wrong that I now take nothing for granted.  On axles I would check that the splines fit into the diff, that the bolt pattern was right, that the drum or disc fit the hub, etc., etc. before doing anything with them.

I don't think Yukon is saying the parts old on Amazon are not theirs.  I think they are saying that they are no responsible for how a third party listed their parts on Amazon, and frankly they're right.  However, if the info on their website and the Amazon site are exactly the same you may have a case, as it would appear the Amazon site just copied theirs. 

A final option would be to talk to your credit card company, assuming that's how you paid.  The only downside there is you don't want your method of payment blacklisted in the event they refund your money.

I agree completely. I take full responsibility for assuming this would be a simple "buy a set of axles for a X car" when I knew I was making a significant mod with an unknown housing. I think I'll just chalk this up to an expensive learning experience and move on. I'll put the Yukon axles up for sale on CL or fleabay until they sell and hopefully recover most of my money.

5/30/2023 8:40 AM  #40

MS wrote:

I think it would be a good idea for you to visit Moser or Strange web site to see where pertinent rear end measurements are taken. I can see how a supplier would be confused if those diagrams were presented.

Looks like your small bearing 9” would come close to being able to use stock 8” axles from a 65-66 tear end.

I'm definitely doing that! I know my diagram is a little confusing, and some of the shorter measurements don't add up exactly, but I'm confident of the longer measures, and think I have most of the numbers that I need to give them.

There are a couple of CV's in my local boneyard, so I think I'll get over there and take some measurements around the brakes and axle hub, and maybe even bring an axle home to play with if I can get one out without too much trouble.

5/30/2023 12:06 PM  #41

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

MS wrote:

I'm definitely doing that! I know my diagram is a little confusing, and some of the shorter measurements don't add up exactly, but I'm confident of the longer measures, and think I have most of the numbers that I need to give them.

There are a couple of CV's in my local boneyard, so I think I'll get over there and take some measurements around the brakes and axle hub, and maybe even bring an axle home to play with if I can get one out without too much trouble.

Education is not free. I'm purdy sure we've all made mistakes buying stuff for these cars. I can't tell you how many duplicate parts I've bought, only to find out way past the return window that I've got 3 sets of mufflers in storage.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/30/2023 12:52 PM  #42

Bearing Bob - ​totally agree, been there, done that!

5/30/2023 7:48 PM  #43

I bet John (owner) could tell you what 9” axle housing you have.

https://johnsindustries.com/

He only does 9” housings and axles.
He will shorten axles, just not housings.

His business consists of making 9” housings for various major companies, custom shops, and racers (1/4, 1/8, dirt, etc).

I found out about him last year while talking to the owner of the local Drive-In restaurant.
Restaurant owner had a complete 9” housing built for his race car.

Be ready to answer questions. Nice guy too.

Last edited by Nos681 (5/30/2023 7:54 PM)

5/31/2023 6:28 AM  #44

Nos681 wrote:

I bet John (owner) could tell you what 9” axle housing you have.

https://johnsindustries.com/

He only does 9” housings and axles.
He will shorten axles, just not housings.

His business consists of making 9” housings for various major companies, custom shops, and racers (1/4, 1/8, dirt, etc).

I found out about him last year while talking to the owner of the local Drive-In restaurant.
Restaurant owner had a complete 9” housing built for his race car.

Be ready to answer questions. Nice guy too.

Clicked on John's website link.  Hard to beat those testimonials!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.